ELK-M1KPNAV Enrollment error

My ELK-M1 has been up and running for several years with 4, ELK-M1KPNAV keypads with no issues. My original system came with an ELK-M1KP that I never installed. So the other day I thought I would install the ELK-M1KP as a 5th keypad in the basement area where my ELK-M1 is mounted. That's when my troubles began.

All of the keypads are installed as a home run back to the ELK-M1 via the ELK-M1DBH using CAT 6 cabling.  As I stated before all 4 of the ELK-M1KPNAV worked for years with no problems. However when I install the M1KP, also as a home run one of the M1KPNAV appears to lose its bootware setting and firmware setting as well does the M1KP after you run the enrollment process.

No matter what configuration I use on the M1DBH when using  all 5 keypads  its always the same results,  where the M1KP and 1 of the M1KPNAV (always the same keypad) lose what appears to be their bootware and firmware when viewing the Enroll/update control devices screen.

However after enrolling everything one at time in many different configurations I have determined that only one of the M1KPNAV causes this error. When using just the other 3 along with the M1KP everything works fine but as soon as you add this one particular M1KPNAV to the system the error occurs. It seems that this one M1KPNAV just does not like playing with the M1KP because it works fine with the other three M1KPNAV's in a M1KPNAV stand alone setting.

Could there be something wrong with this one particular M1KPNAV? It works fine in the 4 keypad setting using just the M1KPNAV's.

Did you change the address of the added M1KP (before enrolling)?

I have a feeling that you are having a keypad address conflict.

The Elk M1KP manual says there are only four valid addresses for the Elk-M1 (and 16 for the M1G):  "SETTING THE ADDRESS: From the factory all keypads are set to address 1. Valid keypad addresses are 1 to 4 for the ELK-M1, or 1 to 16 for the ELK-M1G."   

Could that be your issue--though it seems odd that it would affect only one of the NAVs...

The system is an ELK-M1G and yes I did change the address to the appropriate pad number. Number 5 for the first time I tried it. Just seems bizarre that it is only this one M1KPNAV that causes this issue but works fine when it is used with the other 3,  M1KPNAV installed on the M1DBH.

alarmperson said:
The system is an ELK-M1G and yes I did change the address to the appropriate pad number. Number 5 for the first time I tried it. Just seems bizarre that it is only this one M1KPNAV that causes this issue but works fine when it is used with the other 3,  M1KPNAV installed on the M1DBH.

Do you have proper termination on the data bus?  Did you remove the termination jumper from the M1KP?

alarmperson said:
Where is the terminating jumper located on the M1KP?

Looking at the M1KP from the back, you'll find it about 1" above the white 6-pin databus connector.  It is labeled JP2.

Sorry it took me so long to respond back but I have been out of town. Unfortunately after checking for the jumper I have discovered it has already been removed so that does not appear to be the culprit. Any other suggestions? 

alarmperson said:
Sorry it took me so long to respond back but I have been out of town. Unfortunately after checking for the jumper I have discovered it has already been removed so that does not appear to be the culprit. Any other suggestions? 

OK, it seems like you've eliminated the simple things that could cause the problem.

It's possible that a problem with the wiring to the keypads could cause trouble, such as a less than perfect termination on the RJ45s or a poor connection from the Cat6 to the harness at the keypad.

One thing that you could try is swapping the "bad" KPNAV with one of the others that works ok, to see if the problem moves with the KPNAV or stays at the original location.  That should let you determine if it is a cabling problem or a bad KPNAV.

Good call! I'll check that next. Like I said it works with the other 3 KPNAV's. However I haven't checked the wiring by changing around the heads, good idea! I'll try it this weekend!

Dangit! It's a bad KPNAV! I've tried the bad one in two different locations with the same results. Too bad it's already about two years old. It works fine when it is just the KPNAV's attached to the DBH but as soon as you include the M1KP the one KPNAV goes missing and causes problems for the others. Oh well didn't really need it, I was just adding it to the system because it had just been laying around. Thanks for your help.

Back