Elk M1XEP bootware update failure - now shows as "Erased"

MikeB

Updated the firmware on 2 Elk M1G systems today to get up to date, specifically to try and corrected the continued clock issues I seem to have after DST changes.  Thought I'd go for the M1XEP 2.x firmware as well for improved email support, etc.

First one went fine.  Updated to the latest ElkRP, then updated to the latest M1G firmware, then keypads, then the M1XEP bootware, then firmware.  All went without issue.

On the second system everything went fine until the M1XEP bootware.  ElkRP said the bootware update was "Done", but the "Done" button could not be pressed (was ghosted).  I let it sit for about 30 minutes and had to end the task to exit.  Could still ping the M1XEP without issue (static IP).

So, I tried the update again.  ElkRP still showed the M1XEP at the original bootware version, told it to update, hung again.  I tried this a 3rd time with no difference.

I then thought I'd try rebooting the M1XEP.  It never came back up at its old IP address.  I power cycled it and now the "Find" button finds it at the default 192.168.0.251, and I can connect to it.  However the Bootware version now shows as "Erased" and it will not allow me to load the ver 2.0.2 bootware file or an older 1.2.0 bootware file (says because the version is "Erased").

Any advice on bringing my M1XEP back to life would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi -

Thanks for the reply.  I did install the M1XEP bootware before trying the firmware (that's where it hung, I never got to the firmware).  

The firmware upgrade I did beforehand was for the M1G which should not be an issue.

Hi -

The problem is ElkRP won't let me even try to re-send the bootware now.  The exact error says:

"This firmware update is not compatible with the existing hardware or bootware version.  This update requires hardware version 0.1.0 to 0.1.0 and bootware version 1.2.0 to 2.0.2.  The existing hardware version is 0.1.0 and bootware version is Erased."

Did you see this note in the upgrade instructions?

IMPORTANT: This is a delicate field update with some associated risks. Failure to read and follow the instructions exactly as provided below could potentially result in failure of the update, and unrecoverable damage to the M1XEP. Even with careful adherence to the procedures there is a small risk that the update could fail. For this reason Elk strongly recommends you always have a backup or spare M1XEP on hand as a replacement in case the update fails and the M1XEP cannot be recovered.

I hope this isn't the case but why don't you contact elk on their support forum? They have great support.

http://www.elkproducts.com/Default.aspx?PageID=5118957&Error=Thank+you+for+logging+in.

Mike.

Yes I did, standard warning for almost all firmware updates to electronics - understandably so.  If it's not recoverable it certainly would be a costly update just to get enhanced email support!

I did post this same message to their forum, no response yet.

MikeB said:
Hi -

The problem is ElkRP won't let me even try to re-send the bootware now.  The exact error says:

"This firmware update is not compatible with the existing hardware or bootware version.  This update requires hardware version 0.1.0 to 0.1.0 and bootware version 1.2.0 to 2.0.2.  The existing hardware version is 0.1.0 and bootware version is Erased."

I've never been a fan of systems that don't have some form of "boot" firmware implemented in read-only memory that cannot be damaged.

It appears that ELK relies on the bootware update always working and as we know that is not the case.

Keep us posted as to ELK's response.

Just went through the steps and sent them the requested screenshots. 

I would like to hope that since the unit is pingable and I am actually able to connect to it with ElkRP that there must be a way to reload the bootware.  Maybe.   :unsure:

Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much to Brad from Elk Tech Support for the help!  I was able to get my bootware re-loaded with some steps he provided via email.

Thanks!

It might help others if you post the procedure here, so they don't have to bother the tech support folks at Elk if they encounter the same problem.

I thought about that, but one of the steps is a bit hairy and could damage the M1XEP.  I've asked Elk if I can share the details, and if they don't mind I will post it up.

Hi -

Elk support has asked that I don't share 1 aspect of the process which can damage the M1XEP.  But, the steps basically involved:

- ensuring the proper firmware files were in the RP\Updates folder
 - power down the M1XEP
 - short 2 pins on the M1XEP board (details can be provided by Elk, as 1 small mistake will permanently damage the board according to Elk)
 - power up the M1XEP with the pins shorted
 - after several seconds (I waited 5-8 seconds) remove the short (carefully!)
 - open ElKRP, under M1XEP Setup click the Find button
 - hold SHIFT and press the "PGM Firmware" button (HOWEVER, this did not work for me.  What did work was pressing the button WITHOUT holding the SHIFT key).
 - once complete allow the M1XEP to reboot and hopefully the bootware and firmware will now be up to date (was for me)

One thing I want to add is that in the state my M1XEP was in I was able to connect to it using ElkRP, and M1ToGo worked as well!  Which I thought was odd... especially because I never actually got to the point of updating the firmware (it hung when I was updating the bootware).

Elk did offer to have me send in my board so they could try to reload the bootware for me, which I really appreciated.  They replied with the above details when I asked if there was anything else I could try here before sending it in.

They encouraged others having an issue to email them at [email protected].  

Again, thanks to Elk for the support!  They were very prompt and helpful.  Great company to work with!

Back