Elk-M1XRF2G Wireless Receiver

trmitche

So I just bought an Elk M1G, and I need to go entirely wireless due to the fact that my home has vaulted ceilings and no attic (long story)

My question is this: Is the new Elk-M1XRF2G wireless receiver (link listed below) compatible with other GE sensors (like SAW or any other), or is it JUST compatible with the GE Crystal sensors that are mentioned in the product description?
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1XRF.htm

In other words, is it compatible with all the various sensors listed at this URL? Or just the ones here that specifically say "Crystal"?
http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESe...&t=prod#773

For instance, could I use any version of the recessed door/window sensors? The recessed ones do not specifically say "Crystal", but then some of the other sensors listed there have multiple versions, some of which specifically state: "319.5 Saw version" (like this: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESe...e&seriesID= )

Assuming it is compatible, what is the difference between the M1XRF2G and similar products, like the Caddx NX-548E (Other than the fact that you have to buy an "Elk adaptor" cable for the NX-548E)

Link to NX-548E:
http://www.aartech.ca/product_info.php/pro...79/NX-548E.html

Any help appreciated.

PS - If anyone has any experiences with using the Elk with this new receiver, please share them. Thanks!

Hi Trey - Welcome to CocoonTech!

I am in the process of clarifying the Crystal/SAW issue with Elk, so standby... but I can tell you I have been using the RFG2 with the NX-454 with no issues, and also with the NX-695 which says 319.5MHZ SAW.

As far as the difference, the Elk goes on the 485 bus so it can be mounted anywhere you need with simple 22/4 or cat5 wire vs the special cable. Also, you can put multiple Elk receivers on the bus if needed for coverage and they all work together. It also supports up to 144 zones if you need to go more than 48. From my testing and what I have heard, the Elk receiver is also more sensitive and as such give you a little better range. Personally, if used on an M1, I would go with the Elk receiver for the few extra benefits as well as what ultimately should be better compatibility and support.

Has ELK worked out that bug that prevent official release? I'm on backlog for the actual ELK wireless receiver. I have 6 systems in production so I'm waiting to beta test this new product.

-=*Sharby*=-

Good questions. I would like to know the same. If the Elk is so much better why does it need to only support the crystal versions of the transmitters. What is different about it as far as the RF and circuitry. In particular why add this thing to the Elk line in the first place. I think other things like 1 wire and better zwave support is a higher priority than making another item that nobody really sees the need for.

Tom

Good questions. I would like to know the same. If the Elk is so much better why does it need to only support the crystal versions of the transmitters. What is different about it as far as the RF and circuitry. In particular why add this thing to the Elk line in the first place. I think other things like 1 wire and better zwave support is a higher priority than making another item that nobody really sees the need for.

Tom
I am using the SAW keyfobs without any issues.

This is from the ELK instructions (available at the ELK website) for the wireless receiver.

"The M1XRF2G is ONLY compatible with the 319.5MHz Crystal based transmitters available from GE.

The M1XRF2G receiver uses Crystal frequency technology and is a dual (2) antenna, phase diversity design capable of long range
wireless coverage. It comes packaged with two (2) optional ground plane antennas for extremely long range coverage
requirements.

NOTE: Crystal transmitters and receivers operate on very narrow frequency tolerances and utilze
highly accurate filtering technology to reduce noise susceptibility and provide the best possible range.
SAW based transmitters and receivers operate on a broader frequency tolerance making them less
costly and less accurate, generally resulting in less range.

The use of SAW transmitters with Crystal receivers is not a good practice due to the fact that the broader
frequency SAW transmission may be filtered out (ignored) by the narrower Crystal receiver.

Although it may be possible to get a SAW transmitter to enroll into the M1XRF2G receiver IT IS NOT
RECOMMENDED due to the possibility of a transmission being filtered out (ignored)."

In particular why add this thing to the Elk line in the first place. I think other things like 1 wire and better zwave support is a higher priority than making another item that nobody really sees the need for.

Tom

I'm with Tom on this one. When will we get Z-Wave status polling with the Z-Wave interface? I've been turning this squeaky wheel for the past year and have heard nothing from Elk other than "We are looking into it". Having a BASIC STAMP hanging on my Elk to capture the Z-Wave status changes is a hack that I'd rather not deal with since it uses up inputs I could be using for other things. Come on Elk, every other product out there can capture Z-wave status. Complete the other half of the Z-Wave interface!

Back