Elk, PH, & Insteon revisited

MrGibbage

As usual, I posted this at some of the other web sites, but since I don't really know if this is an Elk, PH, or Insteon problem, I figured I'd post it here (and probably get the best answer too)

I was noticing that my lights were VERY inconsistent when controlled by my Elk. So I just did a little test. I went to the M1's lighting menu and selected a light that was close to my keypad and computer. I fired up PH and watched the event log, with "Insteon In" enabled. I then toggled the light on and off using the "#" key. Strangely enough, three of the six times when the light should have turned on, it in fact did not. Furthermore, the PH log showed an "Insteon Off" command as having been sent. How strange is that? About fifty percent of the time, it works as expected--not a very good average. Anyone else having very inconsistent Insteon results?

Btw, I thought I had a really great idea to have the Elk monitor to make sure PH was running on a computer. I wanted to have my Elk periodically check to make sure PH was running, and if it wasn't, it would reboot the computer. I had the idea that I could schedule PH to send an Insteon On command to a remote light switch from a "three way" setup. Since the links aren't "followed", in theory the Elk would see that switch as having been turned on (without actually having the light come on every five minutes), which I could then use to reset an Elk counter. If the counter ever hits zero, then what do you know, PH must not be controlling the lights for some reason. Reboot and problem solved, hopefully (I have some Elk output relays connected to the power switch of my computer). Well, since the Elk won't detect lights that are being controlled by PH, this wouldn't work. **sigh** Anyone else have a really clever way of making sure PH is doing it's job?

Skip

**sigh** Anyone else have a really clever way of making sure PH is doing it's job?

I have been using PH for awhile now and it has been as reliable as a hardware controller so I'm not sure how much monitoring it really needs. I like the idea of a hardware controller for critical stuff and a PC controller for extra features except I use PH as my hardware controller equivalent and so far it has been very reliable.

Well, since the Elk won't detect lights that are being controlled by PH, this wouldn't work.
Have you enabled polling in the M1 XSP? That should get the M1 to detect the states of lights, although it is not instantaneous.

Back