Elk 'Transmitter missing' message

MarkJames

So this has been driving me mental for a bit.

I have a fairly large Elk install - 6 areas and maybe 60 zones of which 20 or so are wireless.

All has been well for years but recently whenever I arm or disarm the main house I get a voice message from the Elk console saying 'transmitter missing'.  It doesn't tell me which transmitter and there's no transmitter supervision loss message in the log.  I've replaced all the batteries in the wireless sensors and I've rebooted the panel (power switch off, wait, switch on) a few times.  But it still keeps doing it.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out which transmitter it's unhappy about.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

[edit]  I've gone and disabled a bunch of my wireless transmitters and rebooted.  The message is now gone.  I'll add them back one at a time and see if I can isolate the problem.  Thanks for reading this.

You can find the bad transmitter faster by doing a sort of a binary search. Disable half of teh sensors and test. If the error still exists then the problem is in the enabled half and you have eliminated the other half. Then remove half of the remaining sensors and test and again it will tell you which half the problem is in. Repeat this until you fidn the problem sensor. this process minimizes the number of test that you need to do to find the one problem sensor.

Mike.

Thanks,

That's sort of what I did.  I disabled them all to make sure that the problem was actually one of them and then added back about half and then half again.  

It turns out I had an old one in there that I don't use anymore which I hadn't disabled.

It's all good now.

It's a shame that the ElkRP2 software won't tell you which one it's whining about - that would make it a lot easier.

Thanks again,

mark

MarkJames said:
Thanks,

That's sort of what I did.  I disabled them all to make sure that the problem was actually one of them and then added back about half and then half again.  

It turns out I had an old one in there that I don't use anymore which I hadn't disabled.

It's all good now.

It's a shame that the ElkRP2 software won't tell you which one it's whining about - that would make it a lot easier.

Thanks again,

mark

What versions of firmware are you running?

I don't have a way to test this at the moment, but I am pretty sure that the log of a recent install did in fact list the zones; I had a similar issue with 2 sensors and I'm pretty confident that the log listed which sensor had lost communication. I ended up removing both sensors and returning them to Elk, who replaced both of them.

Hi there,

My hardware version is .13 (it's a bit older)
Boot version 3.3.6
Firmware 5.2.2

I have a few M1XRF2G's that are hardware 1.4, boot 1.0.4, firmware 1.0.26
I have a few M1XIN's that are hardware .5 boot 3.0.5 firmware 1.3.7
My M1XEP is Hardware 1.0, boot 1.2.0, firmware 1.3.28

I do get the occasional transmitter supervision error in the log but not always.  This has been frustrating to troubleshoot.  

mark

Back