Elk UL listing for Household Fire


I'm trying to make sure my Elk install is a slam-dunk for approval by the electrical inspector so I've looked carefully at the UL listing requirements as listed in Appendix F of the M1 Installation Manual. One of the statements is that "at least one bell fixture is required for all applications." Does this mean a mechanical bell is required?

Elsewhere, the manual states that using Out 1 for speakers is "not for use in UL Listed Systems." This seems to be saying that to meet the UL standard I can't have any speakers but I must have one bell. I'm confused!

The way I read the Output1 statement is that you can't JUST have a speaker on output1, you must also have a siren/bell on output 2. But I am no expert.
The residential UL listing is for Burglar and Fire.

Home automation is not part of the residential burglar and fire UL listing.

Most electrical inspectors are looking for the UL label on the control's metal enclosure to show that it has passed the UL Laboratories testing and manufacturing quality control inspections. They are not doing a UL installation inspection for residential burglar and fire.

The manuals are written so that a professional UL installer could install a residential UL Burglar and Fire system according to very strict guidelines.

Many commercial installations are UL certificated like jewelry stores, but hardly any residential systems.

So it's OK to use speakers and still have a valid UL Fire system? What about the bell?


[EDIT: I missed the last part of your post - thanks for answering my questions!]

You are most likely not installing a UL Fire System as a DIYer. You are using UL listed components to satisfy the Electrical Inspector. He may require that the smoke detectors be installed in a certain way or some states require 120VAC UL listed smoke detectors outside every bedroom. The noise makers in the smoke detectors normally satisfy the sounding requirements of the inspectors. Additional noise makers become optional, such as Output 1 connected to a speaker.

The requirements will vary all across the country, but the National Electrical Code (NEC) and National Fire Alarm Code (NFPA 72) are the base documents.

Best bet is to give the inspector a call and ask what the local regulations are.

In this case permission is easier than trying to get forgiveness after it is put in wrong!