ELK Voice output interfaced to other speakers?

Has anyone interfaced the Elk voice output to in-wall speakers instead of the Elk speakers? is there a limitation to the number that can be used in parallel?

eric

Has anyone interfaced the Elk voice output to in-wall speakers instead of the Elk speakers? is there a limitation to the number that can be used in parallel?

eric

Hi Eric,

I recently added an ELK-M1TWI to my system. I saw your answer in the install manual for this product (Click here for the manual)

"NOTE: The maximum number of speakers is based on the total load (resistance/impedence). Output 1 should never be loaded below 2 Ohms total load. Typically that
allows up to four 8 Ohm speakers to be paralleled."

So it sounds like you may need an amp if you are going to use more than 4 speakers. Also will this speaker be searing a dual purpose (ie. playing music as well), if so then you may need some sort of relay to make sure both the ELK and your stereo are not accessing the speaker at the same time.

Best of luck,

Rod

eric

Hi Eric,

I recently added an ELK-M1TWI to my system. I saw your answer in the install manual for this product (Click here for the manual)

"NOTE: The maximum number of speakers is based on the total load (resistance/impedence). Output 1 should never be loaded below 2 Ohms total load. Typically that

So it sounds like you may need an amp if you are going to use more than 4 speakers. Also will this speaker be searing a dual purpose (ie. playing music as well), if so then you may need some sort of relay to make sure both the ELK and your stereo are not accessing the speaker at the same time.

Best of luck,

Rod

Elk actually makes another speaker that is 32 Ohm so that several can be wired into the panel.

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-sp12f.htm

if you just looking to use for the Elk , that is.

eric

Hi Eric,

Best of luck,

Rod
initial plan is for 2-3 (just ordered a set of BIC M50 Muros to test out), one in general hallway, one in master bedroom and possibly one in the garage. it's possible i would have one in the basement at some point. the BICs are 8 Ohm so we'll see how hooking both of those up goes. these will likely only be used for the Elk so no special wiring or anything.

thanks for the info!

eric

Back