F Keys on Keypad

wanted

Hi All

Hope everyone is enjoying the xmas break. Guess gives us all a bit more time to play with the M1.

Is there a way to change the keypad F key events & illumination events via the rules?? I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I wanting to write two tasks 1. Open Garage, 2. Close garage. And cycle these two task to the F1 key on the keypad dependang on the state of the door (zones).

Another question when does the F key illuminate if it's set to a zone state? Is it lit when secure or violated?

Thanks All

Merry Xmas & Happy New Yr

Anthony

For the open/close: What I did was to use an unused output as a toggle, and have the F key programmed to toggle that output. Then in my rules, I had one rule for true and one rule for false. I do that for my maglock door and an entry light.

dunno about illumination stuff.

Hi IVB

I guess you have setup something similar to these rules i just created.

F1 Key Toggle output 200

Whenever ouptut 200 is on
then turn out 4 (garage door) on for 3 sec
the display on keypad "Garage Door Closing"

Whenever ouptut 200 is off
then turn out 4 (garage door) on for 3 sec
the display on keypad "Garage Door Opening"

I imagine i can also insert a condition to only toggle output 200 when system is NOT armed.

Another question - how do you copy rules from ELK RP to paste on the forum. I'm using version 1.6.12

Thanks

Anthony

wanted: yep, presuming you mean 'whenever output xxx is TURNED on'. No idea how to copy/paste here, I manually do that.

I've used the Zone Status to change the illumination on the FKey.
I cant test as i dont have the panel on the bench ATM.

I've also changed the rules again.

F1 Key turns output 4 (Grge Door) on for 3 sec if system is unarmed

When output5 is turned off i announce the status of zone 10 (Grge Door)

when system is armed turn output 200 on for 2mins

when output 200 is turned off & zone 10 not secure
turn output 5 for on 3 secs.

I hope this works

Anthony

Remember to turn off any preprogrammed F Key functions under the ELKRP Keypad programming. Factory default for the F keys 1 to 3 are Fire, Police, and Medical. Just program the functions to 0 to disable there operation.

Use Rules to reassign other operations like opening a garage door.

WHENEVER F1 Key is pressed
And ....
Then Turn On Output 3 for 3 seconds

Wire the normally open contacts across the garage door input contacts and this will open and close the garage door just like pushing the garage door button.

Make the garage door relay closure a task and you can also use ELKRM and the telephone remote control to control the garage door.

Whenever Task 1 is activated
Then Turn On Output 3 for 3 seconds ///it will turn off and open the contacts

WHENEVER F1 Key is pressed
And ....
Then Activate Task 1

The wording is more or less correct in the above Rules!! :lol:

I know that your acutal code is not on your post, but I see a couple of possible conflicts from your general description of your rules.

I'm not so sure that you want to hold ouput 200 on for 2 minutes if it will hold output 4 on for that entire time. That can be bad for some garage door openers if you have paralles the G Door switch with your output

If you turn on output 200 upon arming, and the system is armed in night mode for example you will end up opening the door and then closing it after the timeout.

You might want to check zone 10 status before starting timer 200, and select which arming mode you want the cycle the garage door in.

Hi All

Thanks for all you responses.

acdcelectric - output 200 is an unused output, it is not connected to the GD directly. Once the output is turned off it will check if the zone is still open before turning the garage door controller output on. If i check the status of the door before the system is armed, the rule will not see the change in zone state when i open the door to back out after the system is armed. This way i have 2min to open the door, back out and can still leave the door open HOPING the M1 will remember to close the door :lol: once output 200 is turned off.

spanky - thanks for you reminder regarding the KP programming in ELKRP. I will also create a task to for the garage door relay closure so i can possible use in the future for ELKRM & telephone control.

These are the rules i've settled for ATM :)

3 WHENEVER Open/Close Grge (Task 1) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TURN Garage Door (Out 5) ON FOR 3

4 WHENEVER KEY F1 ON KEYPAD1 ACTIVATES
AND Ant & Nic Home (Area 1) ARM STATE = DISARMED
THEN ACTIVATE Open/Close Grge (Task 1)

5 WHENEVER Ant & Nic Home (Area 1) IS ARMED AWAY
THEN TURN Output 200 ON FOR 2 MINS

6 WHENEVER Ant & Nic Home (Area 1) IS ARMED NIGHT

7 WHENEVER Ant & Nic Home (Area 1) IS ARMED STAY

8 WHENEVER Output 200 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Garage Door (Zn 10) IS NOT SECURE
THEN ACTIVATE Open/Close Grge (Task 1)

9 WHENEVER Garage Door (Zn 10) BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN ANNOUNCE Garage Door (Zn 10)

10 WHENEVER Garage Door (Zn 10) BECOMES SECURE
THEN ANNOUNCE Garage Door (Zn 10)

Thanks Again - This is why i settled on the M1, great support on this forum

Anthony

Thanks for posting your actual rules. I intend to do something similar in the Elk and Hal via UPB. this gives me a good starting point.

One nit pick though. Since this is for security, we all want things to be bulletproof. There is still the one in a million chance that if your manual push/remote button is double pressed as the door starts down, that you can stop the door after only one inch of travel in the down position.

After the 2 min timer expires, the Elk will see the zone as not secure and toggle the door back up. You might want to check the zone status a second time and re toggle if necessary.

I am Irish and a living example of Murphy's law.

Mike

acdcelectric - i've now added a second timer for 3min that will check the status of the door once again.

Wish the ELK Rules would use the IF, ELSE IF & WHILE logic so it wii stay in the loop till the condiction is meet.

Thanks Again

Anthony

I have implemented the function keys to open and close the garage doors.

The F5 key flashes when the door is open or opening or closing and not
closed. This seems to work well, I tried more complicated schemes but
abandoned them as overkill.

I use the status of the door to turn off and on the garage light and also
the outside lights if it is dark out side.

I also check the status of the door 15 min. after arming in the away
mode. If the door is open, close it, if the door is stuck and not open
or closed send a message to my cellphone.

With most garage door openers a push of the button reverses the operation
of the door if it is in motion. Just because the closed switch is not activated it
does not mean the door is open. If it is partially open a push of the button will
just open the door(not desired). In order to avoid this another switch must
be added to indicate that the door is indeed open and one push will close the
door. If the close switch is not activated the door is stuck has run into something
and another push will just open it. The same logic can be used to detect if
the garage door is open when the system is armed. The temptation is to force arm the door,
but this also has problems in that the system must be remotely disarmed before opening the door.

The best way to approach this problem is to lay out each and every desired function,
i. e., what do I want the system to do. Take every possible condition into account, then the programming becomes trivial. The reason ELSE IF & WHILE logic is not implemented, is the processor overhead is just too great. The same thing can be programmed by testing the condition at a later time. Most times the condition only needs to be tested once. Otherwise you can use the opening or closing of a switch as the trigger. All small systems have the same problem of being able to be programmed into very long running loops that really slow down system response. The reasons for this are subjects for assembly language programming courses.

The M1G does have instructions(functions) implemented that will cover almost any instance, but it will require some thought as to how to program these.

Cliff s

All good advice here. This brings up a point which I feel few were getting as to why I proposed such an elaborate garage door monitor as described in THIS How-To.

This monitor will let you always know the exact position of your garage door to within a couple of inches. This is the main purpose, to know if your garage is "stuck" somewhere in-between open and closed.

Of course one could always rely on contact closures (I also have one to verify the closed position) but this is way to know for sure! ;)

I know I like the piece of mind when controlling my door remotely via my phone (internet connection).

Although it would be nice to know the exact position of the garage door, in almost all cases it is overkill.

The basic conditions with garage doors are: is the door completely open,
is the door completely closed, is the door neither open or closed(stuck).

The detection that is needed(usually by contacts) is a indication of the
door completely closed(contact closed), is the door completely open(contact closed), or neither. Since we need to know if one push of the door button will open or close the door we need to sample the 2 contacts.
If the door closed contact is closed then one push will open the door. If the door open contact is closed one push will close the door. If neither after a time delay for the opening or closing action to occur, then the door is stuck(send an indication to the user). It would not be wise to push the garage door button as we don't know what will happen, the door could go up or down or do nothing. The user will have to make the decision of the next action. The conditions that could exist are, something is in the way of the door or the door maybe disabled due to power failure(the M1G will continue to operate on battery) or the door could be forced open.

I really don't think you would want to dispatch the Police Dept. if something fell over backing out the car and the driver not noticing.

One scheme some might like is using a keyfob to arm and dis-arm the system, this could be tied to the opening and the closing of the garage door. When you leave the arm button would first close the garage door then arm the system and force arm the garage door if the door was closed, if not notify the user. If the door was successfully closed and the close contact is violated send an alarm. Upon return a push of the dis-arm button would open the garage door and dis-arm the system, of course the regular garage door remotes would have to be put away so not to be used.

The case of the garage door can be non-trivial and can have many combinations that is why the problem must be thought out carefully with all conditions taken into account and what actions should be taken.

Cliff s

Back