Fiber Optic Cable

GadgetBoy

How far can I reasonably run a fiber optic connection between a PC via CreativeLabs USB SoundBlaster and an digital ready amplifier?

I have a PC about 25-30 feet away from my Entertainment area and I am wondering if I can link them to play MP3's in my family room through my HiFi system.

I know I could do it wirelessly, but theoretically the best way would be fiber (digital), no?

Jim

I know on the computer side, fiber is used when you need the distance to be more than 330 feet or so. Long story short: It should be the same if you have the cable (can get expensive I think) and you will have zero problems at that distance.

Thanks. I am seeing cables for around $50 for 50 feet, which is about the distance I need to go. Do you lose alot in video to when running 50' with an RCA cable? I am only wondering because I may want to break out the All In Wonder card that is collecting dust and install it in my Homeseer PC to stream video to my TV as well.

Thanks,
Jim

I have a 30 foot (I think) optical connection between my PC and receiver. It's very cheap optical cable (thin, less than 1/8" diameter) with a coupler in the middle (two 15 foot lengths). It works perfectly.

I run composite video over several 50 foot distances and it works fine. I use 50 foot RG6 cables with F-to-RCA adapters on either end.

That's sounds interesting. My house is not a large one (single story ranch - 1000 sq. ft not including my basement), so cable runs will never be that long, and my attic access is a cinch.

Maybe I'll buy a box of RG6 and go nuts... I already have the crimper.

Maybe something for an upcoming weekend.

I bought a 50 foot optical cable online for 24.99
I dont remember where I got it, but I'm sure if you look you'll be able to get a much better deal than $1/ft

Back