• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Finally HAI Web-Link is working again - a huge relief

swb_mct

Thanks to the member Cocooner

Revive a compatible WEB-LINK client with Windows XP on Oracle VirtualBox. (very easy with YouTube video mentioned below)   

Anyone who relied on HAI Web-Link remembers that it slowly became less useful early in Windows 7 because HAI decided to stop supporting it after they released mobile apps for the HAI systems.

I still have Web-Link running alongside my OMNI-2e and it has been sending email alerts that I had configured many years ago. But ISP/email changes recently kill these alerts.  This is a mostly-vacant second home in Northern Minnesota that requires tight management of plumbing, heating a backup power systems in -30 temperatures.

After trying many things to get Internet Explorer 8 working,  I gave up and went with Cocooner's suggestion to setup a Windows XP virtual machine.

Easy Setup:

Oracle VirtualBox is free
Windows XP Pro with a valid license for activation can be found on ebay . . activation is mandatory or your efforts will die in 30 days
(or you could create a new VM when you need it and it will run for another 30 days) 

This Video by Tom's Hardware is excellent - do this Google search "Youtube Tom's Hardware How to Set Up Windows XP In VirtualBox" 

The advantage with a VM - Your Home Automation system may have a multi-decade additional life span.  But your computers come and go. With a VM you can install Virtual Box on any computer and import your orginal VM and Windows activation remain intact. Just keep a backup of the VM in a drawer somewhere so you can keep this going for a few decades.

( you can still run WEB-Link in Chrome or modern versions of IE, but many features are gone, including management of RULES/email alerts)

Rules are Back ;)
web-link.jpg