Fire-wire for keypads?

Sandpiper

I'm just wondering.......I've heard that many jurisdictions (AHJ) are requiring FPL rated wire (also known as firewire) for burglar alarm system keypads which have a "FIRE" alarm key on the keypad. I've been told that by having this key, it becomes a fire alarm panel and the fire codes must then be followed. I have heard that, in this case, the keypad, the speakers (notification appliances), any smoke or heat detectors, and the power wiring must be FPL. Also, I have heard that some are saying the entire system must be FPL. This is exactly what the NEC says for a fire alarm system.

Have any of you run into this? My Elk M1 keypads were installed with telephone wire, but I have installed others with the vendor recommended Cat 5.

Let me hear your opinion and your experiences concerning this.

It varies all over the country. If the alarm system is being inspected, it will be up to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) inspector.

Spanky said:
If the alarm system is being inspected...
I asked my local Fire Marshal and she said that code and rules for detectors and system only applied to new construction, so I could do whatever I wanted to my own home. Was I mis-informed? What would cause an existing home to get re-inspected?

I saw something on this that someone posted here earlier: I think the distinction was new construction or 'substantial renovation' (a different word was used, but it was significant).

The consensus was adding it to an existing home was not subject to the same requirements. In my case, I was trying to follow the current code as much as possible, even though I was not required to do so. I have not run the keypads, but I would probably continue to use cat5 in my case. I used firewire for all sensors, and placed a smoke detector in the room the panel is in as they recommend (to make sure the panel is not disabled by a fire).

I also don't remember seeing fire rated cable with 8 conductors, so it will probably be special order and I'm going to guess, expensive. I saw a 6 conductor 1000' box for around $300. That is a bit pricey. Of course I could see how much 4 conductor fire wire I have left and run 2.

The concern here is a fire preventing you from signalling an alarm? I may be missing something but I don't see the full value in the overhead for this. Now fire wire to the siren I can see to make sure that internal notification occurs beyond soudners in the smokes (if present). Is that part of the code (fire wire to sirens/speakers)?

-Mike

Are the new LCD keypads 8 wires? I was just going to run my 22/4 fire alarm cable as the Elk keypad I have only uses 4 wires.

Sandpiper said:
...I have heard that, in this case, the keypad, the speakers (notification appliances), any smoke or heat detectors, and the power wiring must be FPL. Also, I have heard that some are saying the entire system must be FPL. This is exactly what the NEC says for a fire alarm system...
So are you saying that in jurisdictions that require 120VAC smoke detectors you have to use red jacketed romex?

If you want to use the Data Bus (non Retro Version) you need at least 6 conductors. Unless Spanky says it is ok to jumper A and A1 along with B and B1 at the hub end instead of the Keypad end per the manual.

upstatemike said:
What if you buy cat-5 with a red jacket?
The fire rating was not to color it red only, but to make it rated to burn for two hours I think at a certain temperature without failing (or something along those lines). I think your specific question came up before and simply making it red would not satisfy code requirements if fire wire were needed.

upstatemike said:
So are you saying that in jurisdictions that require 120VAC smoke detectors you have to use red jacketed romex?
No. I was talking about burglar alarm systems which are also used as "fire alarm" systems. Burglar alarm systems typically fall under what the code calls power-limited (by a class 2 transformer). A power limited fire alarm (PLFA) circuit requires FPL rated wire. FPL wire simly has an FPL rating. It does not have to be any particular color.

FPL wire has insulation materials whcih limit the speed of flame spread under certain test conditions. (per ANSI/UL 1581-1991).

On the other hand, 120VAC smoke detectors would fall under what the code calls non-power limited fire alarm circuit (NPLPA). As long as you use #14 or larger wire, there are no special restrictions on the type of cable to use, as long as it meets the normal wiring section (310) of the code.

Back