First impressions of the ISY-26 - review

MikeB

For those not familiar with the ISY-26, it's an ethernet-based device to program and control Insteon devices. You can also setup events, triggers, etc. that do not require a PC to run.

Here's a link:
http://www.smarthome.com/12230p.html

Here are some of my initial impressions on the ISY-26, after playing with it for almost a day.

I received my unit a week or so ago, but haven't had the time to open and play until yesterday.

Installed the latest version of Java, and got right in to the interface using a Vista Business PC (IE7) and a Windows XP Pro machine (IE6) with no issues.

Had one issue right away where I was no longer able to login. I left a message at Universal-Devices, and Michel called back right away. Beyond excellent customer support. I'll go into more detail later.

I maintain a good spreadsheet of all my devices, so I felt more comfortable typing my devices in by address, adding them one at a time. Unfortunately it had a problem reading in my links using that method, but I didn't mind recreating them.

Between yesterday evening and this AM I was able to add all my devices, recreate all my links (scenes), and duplicate 95% of the functions I had before (more on that other 5% later). I still need to do my RemoteLincs, which I hope to tackle today.

Once you get a hang of the interface, it's pretty easy to work with. I have 60+ Insteon devices, and 30 or so scenes in the ISY-26. Nothing too too complex (yet).

Simple drag and drop worked well for me, but once I added most of my devices I found right-clicking worked better and faster to add devices to scenes.

I did have some communication issues programming devices, but usually retrying fixed it for me. The ISY-26 is plugged in to an odd location in my home right now (on a sub-panel), but I'll move it to a more permanent location later, improving my signal reliability.

Here are some comments/concerns/requests/questions in no particular order:

- Support from Michel was top-notch. Called me back right away. Not only did he help fix my issue, he offered and spent quite a bit of time showing me around the ISY-26 and helping me understand some things I didn't grasp yet. Can't say enough - great guy to deal with.

- Not a big fan of the interface colors (at least on my display). The pink was kind of hard to read at times. I understand the need for consistency, so making this user-definable probably isn't an option, but if I were UD I would put a bit of thought into the interface pallette. I think they could make it much more professional looking and pleasing simply by changing some colors around. I would go with a neutral theme for the background, maybe gray), and implement the text in darker colrs - orange, red, blue, green, etc... BUT - I'm obviously nitpicking. Other than the colors, I thought the interface was fine.

- I received a Java error a few times when trying to program certain devices. However, the switches seemed to program fine anyway. Not sure what the deal is, but the error was: "Socket open failed: java.nio.channels.ClosedSelectorException"

- One of the features I really like about PowerHome is the statistics it keeps for you to help find and troubleshoot switch and signal reliability issues. I don't know if it's feasible, but this would be a REAL nice feature to add.

- Is there a way to make a device a controller of 2 scenes? For example, I have a scene called "Floor1Off" that I control from a couple KeypadLincs around my house. I also have a "Floor2Off" scene that I control from a couple KPLs. Finally, I have 1 KPL that has a "Floor 1+2 Off" button. I ended up creating a whole new scene called "Floor1+2Off" and made that the controller. Not sure if it's possible, but it would have been nice to simply add that "Floor1+2Off" KPL button as a controller to both of my existing scenes.

- One feature I assumed was included with the ISY-26 was timed events. For example, if I turn my closet light on, I want to make sure it is automatically turned off 10 or 20 mins later - just in case whoever turned it on forgets to turn it off. Same with bathrooms, vents, etc. From what I understand this is being included in a soon-to-be released firmware update. This is one of the features I was using with my old setup, but currently am unable to do with the ISY-26. One thing to keep in mind when implementing this feature - say we have a 10 min timer setup on Closet1. If a user turns Closet1 ON, an event should be triggered that will turn Closet1 OFF 10 mins later. However, if Closet1 is turned off manually, that event should be cancelled. Don't want a situation where a light is turned on, then turned off 8 mins later, then turned back on, and the ISY-26 turns it off 2 mins after that.

- It would be nice if the casing of the ISY-26 had a couple keyed holes in the back for wall mounting. I'll probably end up using velcro, but some built-in wall mount method would be nice.

- I knew this feature wasn't in the current firmware release, but I did use FAST ON/FAST OFFs to trigger events with my old setup. I think this is an important feature to add.

- I also plan to use other software with my Insteon network, which will require me to keep other PLCs/PLMs on the network. This software will require me to keep links from my devices to these other PLCs/PLMs. My understanding is that when I restore a device through the ISY-26, that it will delete those links. If possible, I'd love a way for the ISY-26 to recognize and allow me to create links to these other PLCs/PLMs. If nothing else, I think they ISY-26 should have away to ignore these links and not delete them when I choose 'restore device'.

- I did experience a few instances where the PLM stopped sending/receiving commands. The ISY-26 did not give me any errors, but commands simply would not go out. Unplugging/replugging the PLM to cut the power brought it back online. I never needed to cut the power to the ISY-26. My PLM is FIRM52, and I'm running ISY-26 firmware that Michel sent me (2.4.4).

- I had a couple instances when programming KPL buttons that the ISY-26 SEEMED to complete the task, but the button was never added to the scene. I'd try again, and same thing - no error, but it wasn't in the scene. I ended up doing a restore device to those buttons, then tried adding them again, and it worked.

- One question - what is everyone using the Floor Plan for? Any good uses for it, or is it completely cosmetic?

ANYWAY, sorry for the long post. In summary, I think this device is fantastic, easy to use, and does 95% of what I want. Customer support was above and beyond what could be expected, and it's great to see that UD responds well and relatively quickly to many feature requests posted on their forum. Hopefully with the new firmware update, it will do 99% of what I want.

I can't wait to start using this full-time, and for the new firmware update. I also can't wait for any new products UD may have in store for us.

I think SmartHome would be wise to push this product more - it could definitely help them sell a lot more Insteon product.

Very neat product. The ISY makes Insteon much easier to configure.

M1? :(

I heard from UD about Elk support.

I currently have a DSC security panel, but would love to swap it out for an Elk. I don't know what I'd be getting myself into, however.

Any advice??

:p

For those not familiar with the ISY-26, it's an ethernet-based device to program and control Insteon devices. You can also setup events, triggers, etc. that do not require a PC to run.

Here's a link:
http://www.smarthome.com/12230p.html

Here are some of my initial impressions on the ISY-26, after playing with it for almost a day.

I received my unit a week or so ago, but haven't had the time to open and play until yesterday.

Installed the latest version of Java, and got right in to the interface using a Vista Business PC (IE7) and a Windows XP Pro machine (IE6) with no issues.

Had one issue right away where I was no longer able to login. I left a message at Universal-Devices, and Michel called back right away. Beyond excellent customer support. I'll go into more detail later.

I maintain a good spreadsheet of all my devices, so I felt more comfortable typing my devices in by address, adding them one at a time. Unfortunately it had a problem reading in my links using that method, but I didn't mind recreating them.

Between yesterday evening and this AM I was able to add all my devices, recreate all my links (scenes), and duplicate 95% of the functions I had before (more on that other 5% later). I still need to do my RemoteLincs, which I hope to tackle today.

Once you get a hang of the interface, it's pretty easy to work with. I have 60+ Insteon devices, and 30 or so scenes in the ISY-26. Nothing too too complex (yet).

Simple drag and drop worked well for me, but once I added most of my devices I found right-clicking worked better and faster to add devices to scenes.

I did have some communication issues programming devices, but usually retrying fixed it for me. The ISY-26 is plugged in to an odd location in my home right now (on a sub-panel), but I'll move it to a more permanent location later, improving my signal reliability.

Here are some comments/concerns/requests/questions in no particular order:

- Support from Michel was top-notch. Called me back right away. Not only did he help fix my issue, he offered and spent quite a bit of time showing me around the ISY-26 and helping me understand some things I didn't grasp yet. Can't say enough - great guy to deal with.

- Not a big fan of the interface colors (at least on my display). The pink was kind of hard to read at times. I understand the need for consistency, so making this user-definable probably isn't an option, but if I were UD I would put a bit of thought into the interface pallette. I think they could make it much more professional looking and pleasing simply by changing some colors around. I would go with a neutral theme for the background, maybe gray), and implement the text in darker colrs - orange, red, blue, green, etc... BUT - I'm obviously nitpicking. Other than the colors, I thought the interface was fine.

- I received a Java error a few times when trying to program certain devices. However, the switches seemed to program fine anyway. Not sure what the deal is, but the error was: "Socket open failed: java.nio.channels.ClosedSelectorException"

- One of the features I really like about PowerHome is the statistics it keeps for you to help find and troubleshoot switch and signal reliability issues. I don't know if it's feasible, but this would be a REAL nice feature to add.

- Is there a way to make a device a controller of 2 scenes? For example, I have a scene called "Floor1Off" that I control from a couple KeypadLincs around my house. I also have a "Floor2Off" scene that I control from a couple KPLs. Finally, I have 1 KPL that has a "Floor 1+2 Off" button. I ended up creating a whole new scene called "Floor1+2Off" and made that the controller. Not sure if it's possible, but it would have been nice to simply add that "Floor1+2Off" KPL button as a controller to both of my existing scenes.

- One feature I assumed was included with the ISY-26 was timed events. For example, if I turn my closet light on, I want to make sure it is automatically turned off 10 or 20 mins later - just in case whoever turned it on forgets to turn it off. Same with bathrooms, vents, etc. From what I understand this is being included in a soon-to-be released firmware update. This is one of the features I was using with my old setup, but currently am unable to do with the ISY-26. One thing to keep in mind when implementing this feature - say we have a 10 min timer setup on Closet1. If a user turns Closet1 ON, an event should be triggered that will turn Closet1 OFF 10 mins later. However, if Closet1 is turned off manually, that event should be cancelled. Don't want a situation where a light is turned on, then turned off 8 mins later, then turned back on, and the ISY-26 turns it off 2 mins after that.

- It would be nice if the casing of the ISY-26 had a couple keyed holes in the back for wall mounting. I'll probably end up using velcro, but some built-in wall mount method would be nice.

- I knew this feature wasn't in the current firmware release, but I did use FAST ON/FAST OFFs to trigger events with my old setup. I think this is an important feature to add.

- I also plan to use other software with my Insteon network, which will require me to keep other PLCs/PLMs on the network. This software will require me to keep links from my devices to these other PLCs/PLMs. My understanding is that when I restore a device through the ISY-26, that it will delete those links. If possible, I'd love a way for the ISY-26 to recognize and allow me to create links to these other PLCs/PLMs. If nothing else, I think they ISY-26 should have away to ignore these links and not delete them when I choose 'restore device'.

- I did experience a few instances where the PLM stopped sending/receiving commands. The ISY-26 did not give me any errors, but commands simply would not go out. Unplugging/replugging the PLM to cut the power brought it back online. I never needed to cut the power to the ISY-26. My PLM is FIRM52, and I'm running ISY-26 firmware that Michel sent me (2.4.4).

- I had a couple instances when programming KPL buttons that the ISY-26 SEEMED to complete the task, but the button was never added to the scene. I'd try again, and same thing - no error, but it wasn't in the scene. I ended up doing a restore device to those buttons, then tried adding them again, and it worked.

- One question - what is everyone using the Floor Plan for? Any good uses for it, or is it completely cosmetic?

ANYWAY, sorry for the long post. In summary, I think this device is fantastic, easy to use, and does 95% of what I want. Customer support was above and beyond what could be expected, and it's great to see that UD responds well and relatively quickly to many feature requests posted on their forum. Hopefully with the new firmware update, it will do 99% of what I want.

I can't wait to start using this full-time, and for the new firmware update. I also can't wait for any new products UD may have in store for us.

I think SmartHome would be wise to push this product more - it could definitely help them sell a lot more Insteon product.

Great Review! Curious on the decision to try this out in the first place... I have thought about it but can't see any advantage of using this over PowerHome. (I used to be concerned about trusting a PC based controller but long time reliability with PowerHome has cured me of that).

Did you have some issue with PowerHome that is addressed with the ISY-26?

Great Review! Curious on the decision to try this out in the fist place... I have thought about it but can't see any advantage of using this over PowerHome. (I used to be concerned about trusting a PC based controller but long time reliability with PowerHome has cured me of that).

Did you have some issue with PowerHome that is addressed with the ISY-26?

I sat here looking at your question for a few minutes, and you know - I'm not quite sure.

My long term plans are to use CQC as a touchscreen interface, but I'm leaning less and less towards letting it run my events and triggers. I love PowerHome for the programming capabilities, but I never spent a lot of time with the automation part of that software.

I think I initially purchased the ISY-26 because I love new toys. Something new to play with (like I don't already have a billion things going on in my life...). Honestly, in the week I had it sitting boxed up on my desk I almost returned it, because I own HouseLinc, PowerHome, and CQC - all somewhat capable of doing the same things the ISY-26 does for me, with varying levels of success for each, except of course for the no PC part.

But, now that I've used the ISY-26, I'm sold on using it to handle my low-level events and triggers, and basic programming. The company is awesome to work with, the device seems very stable, and the plans they have for it and future products seem right up my alley. I can say one thing for certain - programming your devices really couldn't be easier with it. It really shines when you have a fairly complex scene and want to add or remove a device from it. No more remembering which devices are cross-linked to which, it's very straightforward with the ISY-26.

Truthfully, the only bad thing I can say about PowerHome is that the interface is tough to work with (at least until you get used to it). With the ISY-26, I think even very basic users can setup real complicated scenes without too much effort.

Just a follow-up to this mini review.

I've been using my ISY-26 full-time since this original post, and have moved it to a more permanent location in my basement, mounted on my equipment panel.

I'm now running firmware release 2.4.9. This is currently beta, but very solid so I'm sure we'll be seeing 2.5.0 soon.

With this new firmware, far more advanced triggers and events are possible. I've added:

- Timers turn off my closet lights after 10 mins in case they are accidentally left on.

- Timers to turn off my bathroom vents & lights after 30/60 mins in case they are accidentally left on.

- Fast On triggers that will turn on an entire room or area when needed.

- Fast Off triggers that will turn off an entire room or area when needed.

My uses are actually pretty basic. Far more sophisticated things are possible. For example, groups of triggers that only run when you are home/away/on vacation etc., triggered by maybe a KeypadLinc button. MANY more sophisticated triggers & events are possible.

I have also purchased an Elk M1, which the ISY-26 integrates with. I'm hoping to install my M1 sometime in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Above and beyond additional features, the firmware updates since my original post have fixed certain issues/annoyances.

- RemoteLincs are programmed more efficiently
- Interface colors have been improved
- Haven't seen any Java errors
- No PLM lockups during normal use

Overall, the device has been fantastic. Absolutely no complaints about this device.

What impresses me most about Universal Devices is that they continue to perfect the ISY-26. Instead of leaving it as a very good product and moving on to their next project, they seem to strive for perfection by continuing to make the ISY-26 better and better.

Just a follow-up to this mini review.

I've been using my ISY-26 full-time since this original post, and have moved it to a more permanent location in my basement, mounted on my equipment panel.

I'm now running firmware release 2.4.9. This is currently beta, but very solid so I'm sure we'll be seeing 2.5.0 soon.

With this new firmware, far more advanced triggers and events are possible. I've added:

- Timers turn off my closet lights after 10 mins in case they are accidentally left on.

- Timers to turn off my bathroom vents & lights after 30/60 mins in case they are accidentally left on.

- Fast On triggers that will turn on an entire room or area when needed.

- Fast Off triggers that will turn off an entire room or area when needed.

My uses are actually pretty basic. Far more sophisticated things are possible. For example, groups of triggers that only run when you are home/away/on vacation etc., triggered by maybe a KeypadLinc button. MANY more sophisticated triggers & events are possible.

I have also purchased an Elk M1, which the ISY-26 integrates with. I'm hoping to install my M1 sometime in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Above and beyond additional features, the firmware updates since my original post have fixed certain issues/annoyances.

- RemoteLincs are programmed more efficiently
- Interface colors have been improved
- Haven't seen any Java errors
- No PLM lockups during normal use

Overall, the device has been fantastic. Absolutely no complaints about this device.

What impresses me most about Universal Devices is that they continue to perfect the ISY-26. Instead of leaving it as a very good product and moving on to their next project, they seem to strive for perfection by continuing to make the ISY-26 better and better.

I'm still trying to understand how this works with an M1. I guess you use it instead of the PLC/serial expander interface but how does the ELK know that it should direct commands to the ISY-26? Is there a firmware change needed on the ELK side?

I'm still trying to understand how this works with an M1. I guess you use it instead of the PLC/serial expander interface but how does the ELK know that it should direct commands to the ISY-26? Is there a firmware change needed on the ELK side?

Me too.

Yes, my understanding is that there's newer firmware for the Elk to support the ISY-26. It may still be in beta. You trash the PLC/serial expander, it's all IP.

When I finally setup my Elk, I'll post up what I know.

The ISY-26 adds some special data to the ASCII strings that tell the M1 that an ISY is connected. This speeds up the data flow to the ISY eliminating the X-10 2 second lighting delay between light commands.

You will need to upgrade to the next M1 software release to get the ISY functionality. We are trying to get it released in the next few days.

The ISY-26 adds some special data to the ASCII strings that tell the M1 that an ISY is connected. This speeds up the data flow to the ISY eliminating the X-10 2 second lighting delay between light commands.

You will need to upgrade to the next M1 software release to get the ISY functionality. We are trying to get it released in the next few days.

Very Cool. Will the M1 also support the new Universal Devices controller coming out next month (ISY-99.9 or whatever)?

More praise for the ISY-26.

I had given up on X10 with my system a while back. Powerline signals were weak, and I didn't want to spend money on boosters for something I hoped to eventually replace with Insteon anyway (once Insteon-compatible equivelants are available).

I had tried adding X10 back into my system, but was bouncing around between different automation software packages at the time. Some supported it better than others, some were a hassle, some wouldn't allow the control of KeypadLinc secondary buttons (without odd workarounds), etc...

The latest firmware on the ISY-26 adds basic X10 functionality. At first I wasn't interested, but then figured I'd give it a shot. I've decided to limit myself to RF devices (which is pretty much all I need anyway), to avoid powerline issues.

I had a WGL V572A kicking around (as pictured in this package: http://www.smarthome.com/1135k.html). I plugged it in to an outlet very close (on the same circuit) to the ISY-26/PLM, and created some triggers.

I've been testing it for a while now with -

- an X10 IR bridge (powerline, but just for testing)
- an X10 PalmPad remote
- an X10 SlimFire keychain remote

... and it's been working great. Flawlessly, actually.

I now have the ability to use my old X10 keychain remotes to turn on my outdoor lights (front door, driveway, etc.) from my car. I was using my RemoteLinc, but the X10 keychain remote is much more convenient in the car. I get almost 300 feet of range with the standard whip antenna from the V572A mounted up in my attic. 300 feet is pretty much the end of my driveway, no obstructions (other than the attic roof).

I'm able to trigger either specific Insteon devices, or entire scenes (for example my driveway lights, which include a bunch of KeypadLinc secondary buttons).

I also plan on experimenting with some X10 motion sensors, but I don't currently own any.

More praise for the ISY-26.

I had given up on X10 with my system a while back. Powerline signals were weak, and I didn't want to spend money on boosters for something I hoped to eventually replace with Insteon anyway (once Insteon-compatible equivelants are available).

I had tried adding X10 back into my system, but was bouncing around between different automation software packages at the time. Some supported it better than others, some were a hassle, some wouldn't allow the control of KeypadLinc secondary buttons (without odd workarounds), etc...

The latest firmware on the ISY-26 adds basic X10 functionality. At first I wasn't interested, but then figured I'd give it a shot. I've decided to limit myself to RF devices (which is pretty much all I need anyway), to avoid powerline issues.

I had a WGL V572A kicking around (as pictured in this package: http://www.smarthome.com/1135k.html). I plugged it in to an outlet very close (on the same circuit) to the ISY-26/PLM, and created some triggers.

I've been testing it for a while now with -

- an X10 IR bridge (powerline, but just for testing)
- an X10 PalmPad remote
- an X10 SlimFire keychain remote

... and it's been working great. Flawlessly, actually.

I now have the ability to use my old X10 keychain remotes to turn on my outdoor lights (front door, driveway, etc.) from my car. I was using my RemoteLinc, but the X10 keychain remote is much more convenient in the car. I get almost 300 feet of range with the standard whip antenna from the V572A mounted up in my attic. 300 feet is pretty much the end of my driveway, no obstructions (other than the attic roof).

I'm able to trigger either specific Insteon devices, or entire scenes (for example my driveway lights, which include a bunch of KeypadLinc secondary buttons).

I also plan on experimenting with some X10 motion sensors, but I don't currently own any.

I will be interested in hearing how things go with the motion sensors. I have never been able to get the X-10 ones to be reliable enough (either react too slow or the lights go on and never go off). So far I have tried X10RF Receiver->X10 Powerline->X10 Switch, and X10RF Receiver->X10 Powerline->X10/Insteon Translator->Insteon Switch, and WGL RF irrigation receiver->Stargate->X-10 switch (making stargate the only source for Powerline X10 in hopes of preventing collisions), and most recently EZX10RF->Insteon Switch. Nothing so far has worked.

Next I will probably try W800RF32A->Elk M1-> Insteon Switch or W800RF32A->PowerHome->Insteon Switch, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe I will wait to see how your experience goes with the ISY and if it works for you I will give it a try.

Next I will probably try W800RF32A->Elk M1-> Insteon Switch or W800RF32A->PowerHome->Insteon Switch, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe I will wait to see how your experience goes with the ISY and if it works for you I will give it a try.

I use them with a W800RF, and I let HomeSeer work the logic of when they should respond and for how long. Switching is done with Insteon.
So, motion is detected, W800RF receives, HomeSeer then applies logic and operates Insteon controlled exterior lights accordingly.

Jim H.

I use them with a W800RF, and I let HomeSeer work the logic of when they should respond and for how long. Switching is done with Insteon.
So, motion is detected, W800RF receives, HomeSeer then applies logic and operates Insteon controlled exterior lights accordingly.

Jim H.

That is another option. I haven't tried it with Homeseer yet because I need to get a PLM for it and I am waiting for confirmation that all the PLM firmware issues have been resolved. For that matter I won't be able to try it with the M1 until I get an ISY-26 or ISY-99.9 because I want to go that route rather than the PLC/M1XSP option.

I will probably try the W800RF with PowerHome first since that works with hardware available today. I will probably try W800RF->PowerHome-> Insteon Switch and W800RF->ELK M1->PowerHome->Insteon Switch.

Or maybe I will give up on X10 RF and go with a Pulsor strain sensor instead.

Back