First Time Homeowner with amateur hour questions about my pre-installed system

VFL99

Hey guys, I just moved into a new build home that came with Interlogix Networx. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you guys have!

Feel free to talk to me like I'm in grade school because that's my level of understanding about home security.  I've never even had a traditional alarm in my home growing up.  I'm moderately tech saavy but not skilled enough to take on the impressive DIY projects that you guys are capable of.  I don't have a huge interest in the bells and whistles of home automation beyond home security

My wife works from home so it's very important that she and I feel like she is safe. Put simply, I want to have it monitored (I think?) and any additional crime deterrents that would help beyond my barky dog

New home has existing system.  It appears to be wireless because there's a Router with antenna inside some locked wall-box in one closet and there are sensors outside front door and throughout house.  There appear to be 5 zones (front door, door to garage, movement in living room, back door, door from master to porch).

Where do I go from here?  Can most companies utilize the existing Networx or install their own systems? Can I avoid annual or 3 year contracts? What costs am I looking at?

Thank you so much

Also, I assume the windows are not being monitored with this system? Should I get more sensors and do I need to install them?  Is there smoke detection?  Finally, do I need to have a company come out for any reason to do monitoring?
Thanks!

First, welcome! 

I would think you would have gotten some information on the existing system when you purchased your home.  I would also guess (and it's just a guess) that you may already be committed to a contract that was somehow bundled in with the home purchase.  Contracts are often how these systems are paid for.  The company gives you a system for free or deeply discounted price and then recovers the expense through a contract. 

You said the router is in a locked box.  You need to figure out who has the keys to that box.  Typically, with a contract the security company will not give you access to the system programming by not giving you the PIN.  After the contract is up they will likely just leave the box but may still not give you the PIN.  The brand you have is readily available from on line suppliers.

You can get basic security and fire monitoring with a UL approved company for around $10 a month.  Alarm Relay is one company many here use. 

If you can provide more specifics of what model panel and sensors you have we can give you better help.

At this point it seems you need to first figure out if you are already in a contract.  Maybe contact the home builder/seller and ask about the alarm.

Then your choices are:  Get access to the existing system or replace the main panel, possibly adding sensors.  For replacement you can go with a local company or do it yourself.  If you go with a local company they may want to lock you into a contract or do the install at full price and go month to month - you need to ask before you commit to anything.

Alarm companies vary a LOT!  I found that I was better off figuring out where the sensors needed to be than relying on a national chain that just wanted to sell me the system and start collecting the monthly fee.

You also need to check if there are any local rules about who can install the system and if it needs to be registered with the local authorities.  Many places it doesn't but some places have very strict rules.

Jim

Thanks for your reply

1.) Strangely, the builder made zero mention of the security system.  Asked builder about it today and they said to check with different companies to see who is compatible with the system, so apparently I'm not locked into a contract.

2.) The keys to the locked box were sitting on top of it

My wife is checking the model - will update with it

Thanks for all the additional information

You should be able to download a manual that includes the default PIN.  For example here:

http://static.interlogix.com/library/I-NX8E-IM%20Rev%20C%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

One thing to figure out how this communicate to the monitoring station.  Traditionally this was a phone line (POTS not VOIP) but this is changing.  Some are through the cell network.

Is there a label on it of who installed it?  Can the builder tell you who installed it?  If so, the alarm installer should be able to tell you about it.  But they may also want you to sign up with them.  There are lots of options for monitoring this system so don't let them convince you it has to be them.

Does the unit with the antenna have any type of model number of manufacturer name on it? It may be a cellular alarm communicator intended to be used for alarm monitoring service or it may be a wireless receiver to interface with wireless sensors.

Here is the installation manual for the NX-6V2.  These manuals are written for an experienced installer, rather than a beginner, so there are bound to be things that are not clear to you.  So feel free to ask more questions here when there is something you don't understand.  No question is a dumb question.  We were all there once.

One place to start is to look at what wires are connected to the various screw terminals on the board.  There are terminals for 6 zones, plus additional terminals for aux power, a siren/bell, and the phone line (or cellular communicator).  Hopefully, the cables coming into the panel enclosure are labeled, and this will then help you figure out how things are configured.

You will need to configure the panel to communicate with a monitoring company.  You'll need to know the installer/master code to do that.  With some luck, this is probably still set to the default code, which you can find in the installation manual.

If you have wireless sensors on the doors and windows, there should be a wireless receiver somewhere.  Some NX-series keypads have a wireless receiver built in, so that might be where it is located.  Check the model numbers on your keypads (e.g. the NX-148E-RF has a receiver in it).

RAL said:
You will need to configure the panel to communicate with a monitoring company.  You'll need to know the installer/master code to do that.  With some luck, this is probably still set to the default code, which you can find in the installation manual.

If the OP goes with an Alarm.com compatible communicator, the installer code may not be needed.

So really you have two options. If your somewhat technical the system is not terribly hard to figure out and we can help with that.  Then if you want monitoring, there are companies that send you the added equipment which you connect to the panel. They can even guide you over the phone. NextAlarm, or AlarmRelay are pretty good, and you will pay $12 to $25 a month for monitoring, but you can also get 10-20% off your insurance costs. 

The other option is to call an alarm company who will come to your house to figure it out (for a few hundred dollars) and set up monitoring for $25 - $45/month. 

Which option that works best is up to you.

The model number Networx NX-6V2 was on the device with the antenna in the locked box.  There was no model number on the keypad in living room
SterlingDonnelly said:
Does the unit with the antenna have any type of model number of manufacturer name on it? It may be a cellular alarm communicator intended to be used for alarm monitoring service or it may be a wireless receiver to interface with wireless sensors.

Well NX-6V2 is the model number of a GE NetworX NX-6 version 2 panel. I'm not sure if you have an existing alarm communicator installed now of if the system was connected to a phone line or if it was never setup for monitoring and only installed and programmed as a local system.

If you wanted to add a cellular communicator, Alarm.com (a back end service provider that offers cellular and interactive alarm monitoring services through Alarm.com dealers) offers good options. If you go to http://www.interlogix.com/intrusion/product/networx-wireless-lte-and-gsm-modules and click on Ordering Information, you'll find model numbers for the various versions (depending on your preferred cellular carrier) and there's plenty of places online that sell the communicator and offer the service. You should look for a company that doesn't require a contract, is familiar with the NX6 and Alarm.com service and has good rates and customer service.

So I got some clarification from the local company who installed the system

There was neither a landline connection (I don't personally want a landline either) and there was no cell communicator installed

I ask which companies were compatible with the system and they said they were and did not know which others companies were.  They stated the cell communicator would cost $175 and there would have to be a 3 year contract (that renews annually) at $27/month

I don't want to get locked into a 3 year contact so really hoping there are other options

So per your last post, I have T-mobile, so it looks like I need the NX-592E-GSM-ZX-TM

Dumb question - how does the communicator work via cell?  Do I add it to my cell company account and it's like a phone/device?  I assume it works at all times even when I'm not at home so it doesn't require proximity of my cell phone or something

How do I look for companies?

Would something like simplisafe work?  I'm also confused if alarm.com is an actual monitoring company or just helps you find one

VFL99 said:
So I got some clarification from the local company who installed the system

There was neither a landline connection (I don't personally want a landline either) and there was no cell communicator installed

I ask which companies were compatible with the system and they said they were and did not know which others companies were.  They stated the cell communicator would cost $175 and there would have to be a 3 year contract (that renews annually) at $27/month

I don't want to get locked into a 3 year contact so really hoping there are other options

So per your last post, I have T-mobile, so it looks like I need the NX-592E-GSM-ZX-TM

Dumb question - how does the communicator work via cell?  Do I add it to my cell company account and it's like a phone/device?  I assume it works at all times even when I'm not at home so it doesn't require proximity of my cell phone or something

How do I look for companies?

Would something like simplisafe work?  I'm also confused if alarm.com is an actual monitoring company or just helps you find one
You need to choose the communicator that has an available network in your area. If AT&T or Verizon work in your area, you certainly don't need the T-Mobile unit just because you get your cellular service through T-Mobile. Whatever alarm company you activate your Alarm.com service through will activate the unit and pay for the cellular data and will wrap the cost into your monthly monitoring rate.

You should look for alarm monitoring companies that offer Alarm.com service as Alarm.com is just the back end service provider. Their website can get you in touch with Alarm.com dealer or you can just google "Alarm.com no-contract alarm monitoring" and call some of the companies on the list and check their review sites to find the best option.

Back