For Spanky: RCS Thermostat setpoint issue

sandman

Hi Spanky (well hope you get to read this).

I've been corresponding with RCS regarding a weird heat and cool setpoint issue (I'm operating in celcius mode). Basically when sending setpoint commands to the thermostat, sometimes I get one response back and sometimes I get 2 back, with the second resposone showing the setpoint 1 degree lower than what I sent... Here is the mail I've sent RCS. To date they have been great so absolutely no rant at them. I cant work out if its an RCS thermostat issue or if its the ELK, why it would bbe doing it

Hello RCS

Thankyou for your response. My configuration is:

ELK M1 Gold with serial expander (M1EXP) connected via RS485 to TR40. I
am able to use an ELK software tool (windows based on my laptop called
M1SDK) to send commands to the ELK from my laptop and view the response
data from the ELK. For each command I send the ELK, it sends me data in
return. For each thermostat command I send, I get a reply as to mode,
temp and setpoints.

When sending commands from the Software tool (M1SDK) , these are being
received 100% by the RCS as they are displayed correctly on the WDU. So
setting the setpoints and modes, all are reflected correctly on the WDU,
its the return response I get from the thermostat thats the issue.

I am not able to see if its around a particular temp value however the
issue is present on heat and cool setpoints.

For example:

Sending 18c as heat setpoint from ELK

Command: ts01185
ts=send command
01=thermostat 1
18=value
5=heat setpoint

response:
RECV 15:21:24 -- 13TR0131020182600000E
TR=thermostat response
01=thermostat number
310=mode, fan etc
20=current temp
18=heat setpoint
26=cool setpoint

this is correct however at times I get 2 responses back from the command ie:

RECV 15:21:24 -- 13TR0131020182600000E
RECV 15:21:25 -- 13TR0131020172600000F

The first response is 100% ok, I then get a second response where the heat
setpoint is 17.

I changed the heat setpoint from 18c to 14c: The response I got:

RECV 17:37:07 -- 13TR0131021 14 26000011
RECV 17:37:08 -- 13TR0131021 13 26000012

The first response is correct and for some reason I get a second that is
one degree lower.

I then changed a cool setpoint to 23c
RECV 15:30:44 -- 13TR013102118 23 000010
RECV 15:30:45 -- 13TR013102118 22 000011

The first response is correct and then it is 1 degree lower.

I'm at a loss as to any pattern. Unfortunately I dont have a rs232 to
rs485 device that I can test to break the problem in 1/2..

Your thoughts ?

Cheers..Peter

> Mr. Illmayer:
>
> If the WDU is showing your setpoint [SP] value, you sent via the ELK,
> correctly...and...operating off that SP correctly [that says both units
> are
> working with the 18 degree SP] then I'd say the "feedback" translation is
> getting "clipped" somewhere between the ELK and the input [wire] to the
> TR40's RS485 connections.
> What ELK "tool" reads the incoming data from the TR40....and which side of
> the ELK connection does it read off?
> RCS thermostat sends temp value in whole numbers; if it were rounding down
> to 17, inside the stat, you'd see HEAT turnoff happen at a different value
> then 18 on the WDU during standard manual operation.
>
> RCS, Inc

Most likely the issue you are seeing is a roundoff error on the conversion from Fahrenheit to Celcius. All the temperature calculations in the M1 are done in Fahrenheit. If the information from the thermostat changes by 1 degree Fahrenheit, it could change the Celcius temperture displayed due to the round off error in the conversion.

Most likely the issue you are seeing is a roundoff error on the conversion from Fahrenheit to Celcius. All the temperature calculations in the M1 are done in Fahrenheit. If the information from the thermostat changes by 1 degree Fahrenheit, it could change the Celcius temperture displayed due to the round off error in the conversion.

Spanky, I've set the Thermostat to Celcius so you're saying there is a double conversion ? If the RCS is sending "native" celcius, wouldnt the ELK be better off passing it straight through ? What I equally dont understand is why I get 2 responses, the first is correct and then I get a 2nd one back at a different value. At times I can set it to 18c fine and sometimes I get the double response, its not consistent.

Pete

The ELK Thermostat to M1 Guru took a look at the code in the M1 and sure enough on certain values, the round up subroutine was not always rounding up in the Fahrenheit to Celcius conversion. The roundup subroutine has been remodeled and will be available in the next software upgrade.

The first data transmission was from the Thermostat with the correct value going into the M1 which ran it through the Celcius to Fahrenheit conversion and the second transmission sent it back out as a Celcius value with the round up value off by 1.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The ELK Thermostat to M1 Guru took a look at the code in the M1 and sure enough on certain values, the round up subroutine was not always rounding up in the Fahrenheit to Celcius conversion. The roundup subroutine has been remodeled and will be available in the next software upgrade.

The first data transmission was from the Thermostat with the correct value going into the M1 which ran it through the Celcius to Fahrenheit conversion and the second transmission sent it back out as a Celcius value with the round up value off by 1.

Spanky, this is EXACTLY why I bought an ELK ! I cant say thankyou enough for listening and getting interested in the issue.

Bloody beauty mate !

Pete

Spanky, this is EXACTLY why I bought an ELK ! I cant say thankyou enough for listening and getting interested in the issue.

Bloody beauty mate !

Pete

Hmmmmm I think you should nominate Elk Products for CocoonTech products of the year. :blink:

What is a "Bloody beauty mate !"? Is that good?

You Aussie's talk funny! :blink:

Glad I can help!

You Aussie's talk funny! :)

Glad I can help!
I should let the Aussie answer, but I interpret that something like "That's great my friend", which is a good thing ;)

Glad I can help!

Spanky, maybe next time Greg Kingsley pops in for a visit, you should get him to bring an Aussie Slang Dictionary :)

I think if I were a "Genteel man", it would go something along the lines of ..."oh, that is very good, I'm most pleased with the result, thankyou my friend"

On the other hand, I COULD say my ELK is a "Bloody Ripper" which would equally suggest I am rather pleased with the device and I would then go down to the PUB and tell all my friends (mates) about it. Some Aussies tend to do that when they meet a gorgoues girl too ;)

Cheers..Pete

P.s: I may have only mentioned the setpoint being rounded, I'm also seeing this for the straight TEMP display on the WDU. The RCS shows current temp to be 18 in the house hower its showing up as 17 out of the ethernet port. I gather this fix will apply to all values being sent from the ELK ?

P.S Any idea on when a new update to the firmware will be available ?

Glad I can help!

Spanky, maybe next time Greg Kingsley pops in for a visit, you should get him to bring an Aussie Slang Dictionary :)

I think if I were a "Genteel man", it would go something along the lines of ..."oh, that is very good, I'm most pleased with the result, thankyou my friend"

On the other hand, I COULD say my ELK is a "Bloody Ripper" which would equally suggest I am rather pleased with the device and I would then go down to the PUB and tell all my friends (mates) about it. Some Aussies tend to do that when they meet a gorgoues girl too :lol:

Cheers..Pete

P.s: I may have only mentioned the setpoint being rounded, I'm also seeing this for the straight TEMP display on the WDU. The RCS shows current temp to be 18 in the house hower its showing up as 17 out of the ethernet port. I gather this fix will apply to all values being sent from the ELK ?

P.S Any idea on when a new update to the firmware will be available ?

Spanky, any timeline for the serial expander code update ?

Thanks Pete

I think "bloody beauty mate" means he is planning on slitting his wrists and posting morbid pics if it doesnt work? but i could be wrong. :p :)

Sandman,
M1 beta testing version should start this week. PM me to become a guinea pig! (that's US slang for beta tester).

Back