Frontier Sued For Misuse of Federal Broadband Funds

pete_c

Guru
Frontier Sued For Misuse of Federal Broadband Funds

by Karl Bode
Thursday Jul 21 2016 14:10 EDT

We've repeatedly explored just how corrupt and dysfunctional West Virginia has been when it came to spending their $126.3 million in broadband stimulus funds. The Charleston Gazette highlighting for years how Verizon, Frontier and Cisco convinced the state to buy ridiculously overpriced, overpowered and unused routers, and ridiculously overpaid, redundant consultants who haven't actually accomplished anything.

thumb200.jpg

The state then buried a $118,000 study on its spending of the stimulus money that leaked anyway, highlighting that how Frontier Communications did a sloppy job in tracking spending, may have overbilled taxpayers substantially, and only built a mish mash of geographically scattered fiber upgrades that the majority of state residents wouldn't benefit from in the slightest.

Now one of Frontier's competitors in the state has filed a lawsuit alleging the company misused federal stimulus funds.

The lawsuit was technically filed back in 2014 but was kept under seal until this week. The lawsuit, filed under the False Claims Act, alleges that Frontier misused $40.5 million in federal stimulus funds that state and Frontier officials repeatedly claimed would be used to build an open access middle mile network, usable by multiple ISPs to help improve connectivity across wide swaths of West Virginia.

That didn't happen, Frontier falsely bloating its budget by misstating the amount of fiber actually deployed, the lawsuit claims. The lawsuit also names Homeland Security chief Jimmy Gianato, Chief Technology Officer Gale Given and former Commerce Secretary Kelly Goes as defendants, claiming they aided Frontier's "scheme to defraud the federal government."

The lawsuit alleges that not only did Frontier dodge its obligation to build an open access network that other companies could use (locking the state into Frontier "in perpetuity"), the company submitted more than 700 invoices for construction efforts that should never have been paid for. It also claims that Frontier used all manner of tricks to artificially inflate the amount of fiber that was actually deployed:

Citynet claims that Frontier “double-counted” fiber to 58 buildings in 32 counties, and “used excessive maintenance coil to make up for fiber not constructed." "Frontier also misrepresented the proposed distances for many of the community anchor institutions by simply inputting the same number for several projects,” the lawsuit alleges. “Incredibly, there were 36 [buildings] in seven different counties that each required the exact same 4,390 feet of new fiber.”

The lawsuit also claims that Frontier charged significantly more than originally estimated with the help of a former Verizon executive turned state Technology Officer, who helped the company obscure spurious additional charges via the help of "loadings fees." Before West Virginia received its $126.3 million stimulus grant the state ranked 48th in the nation for broadband access. After the funding the state ranked 53rd among 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, the suit states.

You can find a full copy of the lawsuit here (pdf).

Here where I live Frontier bought out Verizon FIOS a few years back. It is quite obvious from their constant "billing mistakes" that they are either a poorly run company or flat out crooked.

Dogman said:
Here where I live Frontier bought out Verizon FIOS a few years back. It is quite obvious from their constant "billing mistakes" that they are either a poorly run company or flat out crooked.
Such binary thinking its what is wrong with the world!

How could you eliminate that it's not both? ;)

Here my beef while directly related to my issue of Frontier was that of slamming my account by Frontier. 

Verizon started to slam my account around 2 years ago with unrequested /  un announced upgrades until after they were done.

Basically all I got at the time was a thank you in email for upgrading your account so that we can better serve you.

What a joke that was.

I mentioned earlier that I never had any issues with the Verizon FIOS transport connectivity and never had to call for service.  It just worked.

I did request the first time it happened to reverse the changes and basically over many hours was told that it was impossible to do.  Then I just called up the AG that had set up a special subsection with Verizon relating to folks being slammed.  They undid the changes in less than a day.  That I had to escalate this to the AG was a real PITA and the assumption was many folks just wouldn't bother and pay the additions to their monthly bills.

There are many retired folks that live in Florida, old and living on limited resources of their retirement stuff. 

They typically just pay and never question stuff like this. 

Mostly though it is because folks do not care to know or know the inner workings of a telco and will not ever question something they are not familiar with.

They assume the telco's good nature to provide a service that today is really needed.

Here using DTV since the get go many years ago.  The monthly price has increased over the years but in check and been fine.  I have just paid it every month and have had no complaints.  There is no time contract on the account now after many many years of use.  AT&T purchased DTV recently and out of the blue I had issues with one STB.  Again relating to the slamming stuff the response from customer service was basically to get a new contract with AT&T services to fix my issues.  I had multiple cellular accounts with AT&T cellular with grandfathered internet / texting.  Out of the blue AT&T slammed that account and I had to switch over to T-Mobile after 25 years of use.  I am not and never have been tethered to any of those accounts and just used them when I needed to.  For a bit I was using DISH and DTV.  I am now considering going back to DISH and shutting down DTV as I really do not want to deal with AT&T for my DTV stuff.  Well and going slowly here to the a la carte internet stuff and just keeping DTV due to WAF.

It is a wacky world out there today. 

linuxha said:
Such binary thinking its what is wrong with the world!

How could you eliminate that it's not both? ;)
Well I was trying to be Objective :blush:  but you are probably right unfortunately.   I left Comcast a few years back to go to FIOS because of better speeds etc.   And at first it was certainly better but over time billing issues and speeds on Crapcast caught up .  I just haven't switched back since I am not thrilled with either company.

I've done quite a bit of work with all the carriers in the US, Canada, and a little in Costa Rica (government run)...  Frontier has literally always been at the bottom of my list as the worst carrier around.  Where Verizon literally wastes money buying the best there is then buying the next upgrade before they've even installed what they bought last month, Frontier has always been the carrier held together by spit and bubble gum.  Their infrastructure is the worst there is in the US in my experience, and their practice of refusing to even comply with mandates for portability and open access makes them the worst ISP/Carrier in the nation that I've encountered.

I hope people there go to jail and their assets get assigned to people much more capable.  People shouldn't be victim to the owners of their last mile delivery systems.

Back