• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Fujitsu Stylistic 3500 Experiences?

bdeshazer

I see from searching that several people are using other versions (like the 3400's) of these as touchscreens but didn't really see anything on the 3500s.

Specifically I'm looking at getting a couple of these off eBay from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-Stylistic-3500...1QQcmdZViewItem

Any experience with him? Looks like lots of good feedback and the negatives seem to be well explained.

I'm looking at getting these to integrate into Misterhouse right now via the web interface. One will be mounted in the kitchen possibly using something like the picture frame method I saw someone using for a 3400, the other one will probably be left "free" in the home theatre/game room. I'll probably be using wired ethernet for the kitchen and wireless for the HT. I realize I'll need appropriate pcmcia cards for this.

From the above eBay description these appear to be the versions that you can use your fingers on and don't require the special stylus ("Digitizer: Liquid filled, passive, low glare, palm rejection" - the "passive" and "palm rejection" seem to indicate this to me). Can anyone confirm this? (I'll email this question to the seller as well...)

Anyone try and load a linux distribution on one of these? How about playing streaming video ala VLC or some other media player?

Any other comments on using these?

Thanks,

Brent

Mike

I don't have experience with the seller, but that is who I was considering buying from (and were the units I was going to buy).

Having 2000 loaded and the higher memory, later model etc, seemed to make sense and be worth the extra cost.

When I was looking, I am pretty sure the screen types (for the ones typically on ebay) were the same. So that was not a consideration for comparison (it was hard to compare apples to apples in some cases though).

I held off after some references to the new origami pc's (I can't remember the new name) coming out, and figured I had enough to work on and would come back to this. They will not be $250 I am sure though....

lpott6

I bought my 3500 from that seller and am very happy with it. I also purchased a USB CDrom from him and a docking station from another seller. The 3500 came with Win2K and I downloaded the RDP client for from the Microsoft site so I can connect to my HTPC running XP Pro. I also picked up a Linksys Wifi card and it connects to my network fine.
So far no problems with the device. I would purchase from him again.

Larry in Denver

bdeshazer

lpott6 said:
I bought my 3500 from that seller and am very happy with it. I also purchased a USB CDrom from him and a docking station from another seller. The 3500 came with Win2K and I downloaded the RDP client for from the Microsoft site so I can connect to my HTPC running XP Pro. I also picked up a Linksys Wifi card and it connects to my network fine.

Larry in Denver
Thanks for the info Larry. I've sent him a couple emails and no replies. I may try and buy one and see how it goes.

Can you confirm that these have the "passive" screens that don't require you to use the special stylus? I.E - you can use your fingers on the touch screen?

Thanks again,

Brent

MikeW

bdeshazer said:
Thanks for the info Larry. I've sent him a couple emails and no replies. I may try and buy one and see how it goes.

Can you confirm that these have the "passive" screens that don't require you to use the special stylus? I.E - you can use your fingers on the touch screen?

Thanks again,

Brent
I have a 3500X with 1024x768 resolution and I have to use my fingernail to make it work. Just using the tip of the finger doesn't work for me.

MikeW

lpott6

bdeshazer said:
lpott6 said:

Larry in Denver

Thanks again,

Brent
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was traveling home from EH Expo today.

Yes, the 3500s that I have works with just a finger touch. However, having said that, I find that using the stylis provides more positive control especially if you have fat fingers like I do. Just a finger works if the buttons are large enough, a matter of screen design. When I am navigating the windows desktop I use the stylis when I am in mainlobby, I use my finger.

HTH

Larry in Denver