got hit by lightning :(

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I lost tons of equipment, including some servers, most of my ha gear, and my internet connection. I have tons of surge protectors and UPS's in place, so this is rather disappointing. Chat server seems ok, and will be back up when I have my internet back.

internet is back up, looks like my firewall and chat server took a hit after all, trying to figure out what parts to replace.

electron said:
I have tons of surge protectors and UPS's in place, so this is rather disappointing.
Some of this type of equipment will reimburse you if you get equipment damaged by surges while plugged into their UPS.

electron said:
internet is back up, looks like my firewall and chat server took a hit after all, trying to figure out what parts to replace.
Let me know, I have all kinds of spare stuff around here!

Not to mention home owners insurance.

I know Martin was donating a percentage, but why do we not have a place to contribute via Pay Pal or other quick cash scheme? After the year you have had at this stuff I'd be more than willing to send some love your way.

OMG, sorry to hear that! :) Was it a direct hit on your house? Maybe you shouldn't have been joking about it on chat!

I don't have much at the moment but would be glad to make a small donation to get you back up. In fact, maybe all of the loyal cocooners should make small donations to the Electron Lightning fund. Give us a paypal address or something where we can send something...

No need to donate anything. It definitely felt like a direct hit.

I am in the red, and it's still going on (this is a live pic).
radar.jpg

So far it looks like the following stuff is dead: entire Elk setup with all XSP's, main HA server, firewall interface, chat server nic (onboard, no room for more cards), all ADI gear, pressure sensors processor, and a few other misc things.

I am hoping to recover some of the stuff once I replace some components, but I am disgusted with how this was possible. It definitely was a direct hit, it crashed my home theater amp and TV, but they seem to be ok now.

I am now starting up the virtual backup server, so chat services will be back online in a few minutes, again, no need to send me anything, but I Do appreciate the thought!

I know this is a bad time for a joke, but it is strange that Electron's equipment was damaged by excessive electrons?

With all the help you have given me over the past year or so, I will gladly donate money to "ELF" the Electron Lightnig Fund"

Let me know where to send the money

Steve

My virtual server keeps crashing now as well (kernel panic), so looks like it will be more than just a few minutes.

Dan,
Just for future reference. There is nothing that can protect against a direct hit or even a nearby hit. The surge protectors and UPS are good for brownouts and slight very light surges. I had this happen 2 years ago and in retrospect I was able to upgrade a ton of stuff. Took out 4 TV's, 3 PC's, and a wad of HA stuff. I got a little over $10,000 from the home owners insurance.

Oh E!, I would be crying. Be sure to check your UPS/surges warranties as BSR says.

I also got several lightning storms here since the weekend. This is global!

Strange... You can see where Cazenovia is on the map. No lightning and not a drop of rain! Maybe it just isn't here yet. Maybe I should start shutting things down?

Electron, STOP being so modest! Many of us would be GLAD to help get ya back up and running again. You have helped so many of us in the past, run this great community of users and so much more. I simply mentioned that I had a Toshiba Pocket PC in chat one night, and you sent me a Rhino case, and the USB cable charger for it, and would not even let me pay the shipping! Let us help you out for once!

Just give us a PayPal address, and be done with it, end of discussion! :D

If it helps, think of it as money for running the chat server, and this board, and not for personal gain!! :)

Well that was exciting... the lightning was so intense there were hardly dark spaces between the flashes! Took your advice and unplugged everything.

Back