GRI plunger switch contacts


These GRI plunger switches seem like a neat alternative to magnetic switches for my casement windows because they do away with the magnet attached to the operating portion of the window. (These aren't the roller-type used on doors.) In my case, this switch would be completely invisible unless you looked into an open window from outside.

Does anyone have any experience with them in windows? Would the durability of the spring-activated mechanism be a concern at all when it might be exposed to weather now and then? BTW, the PB/PBF-3030 is the same thing in a n/c configuration.



We have used the PB2020 on alot of Anderson Casement Windows in new construction. They work fine, and are able to tweak with the set screw if the window gets a little sloppy. One install I am thinking of is approx 3 yrs ago with no call backs. :D
This is still a magnetic contact, just self contained. It will work well if never painted and not on the bottom of the window (faceing up), it so it will collect dirt and stick.
We have had problems with the PB switches (on doors). The range of motion it takes to open the contact is pretty small. After a year or so, settling occurs and the contacts won't change state. This may not be an issue on your windows. This has caused more than a few service calls to add shims/spacers and finally replace them with mags. Another thing we've noticed is that if the contact is not operated for long time, it often will stick. We very rarely use them now, and only if there is no way to use a mag. You get a greater range of motion with most mag conacts. JM2C's. Good luck.

What is the deal with voiding mfg warranties? Are the GRI's or magnetic sensors better/worse in this regard?

We use the GRI PBF-110 plunger contacts on the heel of Pella style doors with a transom. Due to the locking mechanism on the leading edge there is not many other choices. If when installed there is a gap that a shim will fit it is best to install it then. With a short travel distance, it does not take much to cause a gap problem.