HAI Home theater

hi , i was looking at buying Hai for an home automation system,how good is it for home theater applications.This is what im wanting to do. In all the rooms there will just be the tv's no receivers or dvd players all the equipment will by in a closet of some kind. Im thinking of using the ipad as an interface for mostly the theater room and main parts of the house but in the bedrooms still using a harmony(single) remote per room to control the A/V equipment. Mostly for when parents come over they dont have to use the ipad ,just to keep it simply with a regular remote(harmony). Thats why im coming to you guys for some suggestions on the best way to wire this system and is HAI my answer i know there lighting automation is good just wondering about there Video aspect of it all.

You may want to take a look at HAI HTX2:

http://www.homeauto.com/products/entertainment/htx.asp

You don't need to have omnipro, but if you do, you could have all functions control from a single interface, like Haiku. If you also want distributed audio, HAI has a zone controller HiFi-2 which could be tied with your sources and also has control keypads with built-in IR receiver, so you could use regular remotes as well. Or you could just install your own IR receivers.

Your biggest challenge will be to pass a signal to your TVs from the closet. I would run at least 2 cat6, 2 cat6s wires and hdmi cable to each TV location. Make sure you run your LV wire at least 2 ft away from high voltage wire, or if necessary, than cross it at an angle. You may take a look at these CL rated hdmi cables:

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Cable-Built-Signal-Booster/dp/B005LJQMOS.

I wouldnt run hdmi to the rooms to long,i would run cat5 over hdmi. And the hifi-2 only controls the audio with HAI wall plates that then connects to the hifi-2 board(i.r. extenders hai) so how do i control the video signal with the ir wall plates,the only way this would work if i used the HTX2 . But i still can not use a regular remote i have to use an interface of some kind and the HTX2 only has 4 ir ports for 4 devices? The HIFI-2 doesn't really seem to have enough power to power all the speakers ,m i missing something here or will this system do it all.

What i plan on doing is just having the t.v in the bedrooms with all the a/v equipment in the basement closet and running cat5 over hdmi for the long hdmi runs. Sorry im just wondering if im missing something here and if the HAI will do it all.

If you just need to control remote equipment with an ir remote than just get an ir extender repeater.

Using the iPad as a remote gets more complicated but hear the program iRule come up a lot.

What i plan on doing is just having the t.v in the bedrooms with all the a/v equipment in the basement closet and running cat5 over hdmi for the long hdmi runs. Sorry im just wondering if im missing something here and if the HAI will do it all.

Not sure what you mean by "will do it all". There are so many different ways you could set up your AV distribution. For what you have asked, HAI can provide zoned IR, interface to control equipment from phone/tablet/pc, and you could use the SCM as IR extender to your equipment room. You can also run your own IR extender. As for HAI Hi-Fi audio, it has enough power for the room speakers, 25 watts RMS at 8 ohms per channel. For your theater you'll need a better amp, and if you want, you could share the sources with it through the variable out zone on Hi-Fi. I like the fact that I can control my entire system from my iphone, I use Haiku, but HAI has its own app.

Also, on long hdmi runs being no good, I think it is more a matter of how well you made the run minimizing interference from high voltage than the wire itself. You can have problems with hdmi over cat6, if you run the wires near the noise sources. I have no issues with my 100 ft hdmi cable, it is a straight run from the hdmi splitter to TV. You can make sure it will work by making a straight connection from the source to your TV before installing it in the wall.

sorry i meant say "will HAI, do it all".And thanks for the reply.

Yeah i guess im just going to run a ir extender but its still going to but an independent source from the HAI system.Because i want to use a remote in the bedrooms not an interface cause i dont want to carry a ipad or always have my phone on me just to change channels on the bedroom tv's.Because the HTX2 only works on an interface like an ipad,iphone ect.. So basically the HAI wont do it all...Like i said in the past ...or m i just missing something and do not totally understanding the operation of this system. Please help im wiring my house soon..thanks again much appreciated!!!

Back