Hai Omni Removal Guide

taku

My new to me house had a Hai Omni installed with 2 smoke detectors, 2 heat detectors, 1 omnistat thermostat, 2 indoor surens, and maybe more. I removed the two smoke detectors, and 1 siren Haven't gotten around to removing the other stuff.

The thermostat was replaced with a Nest, and the previous owner had the Hai Omni unplugged. So I assumed it was disconnected.

Thinking of was, I removed the boards, removed the plug, and grounding wire. When I was deciding what to with the wires, I noticed one of the wires test hot to 12v.

Now, the battery is unplugged, the 24v plug is removed, so I am unsure where this power is coming from. I haven't reach out to an electrician, but am concerned about this one wire.

Any guides or suggestions.

Hello @taku,
A picture of the enclosure the Omni was in may help. It could be a secondary power supply although the list of components wouldn't need it.
Since most security devices are powered by the Omni, its most likely an external device the Omni monitored the status of. If you still have the components, you could power up the Omni and scroll through the list of device names to see what was hooked up. It could be a window blind controller, water shutoff system, audio system.... By the way, do you have plans for the Omni parts?

I still have all the parts, but I wasn't keeping track of which wires connected where. I probably could reattach the console and power supply. Would this information be in the console or would the 12v wire need to also be attached to the motherboard.

As for the parts, I was just going to trash them. The motherboard had a chip date of 1995, so I inferred it was obsolete.

I can take pictures of what I have later.

Looks like there is one motherboard with one port in the upper left, a blue board with 4 box looking thingies, another smaller green board.

There are two sets of flood lights in the house. Could this be the power source?

What does the external power module look like. I found one X10 socket, and two of the dimmer switches appear to be X10.

There are a bunch of cables going into wall, some head up into the attic, others are going down, maybe to the crawl space, but I am not sure where they are going. I was up in the attic, but there are parts in the attic I can't reach.

Leviton has contacted me and will help me find a local installer.

I still have all the parts, but I wasn't keeping track of which wires connected where. I probably could reattach the console and power supply. Would this information be in the console or would the 12v wire need to also be attached to the motherboard.

As for the parts, I was just going to trash them. The motherboard had a chip date of 1995, so I inferred it was obsolete.

I can take pictures of what I have later.

Looks like there is one motherboard with one port in the upper left, a blue board with 4 box looking thingies, another smaller green board.

There are two sets of flood lights in the house. Could this be the power source?

What does the external power module look like. I found one X10 socket, and two of the dimmer switches appear to be X10.

There are a bunch of cables going into wall, some head up into the attic, others are going down, maybe to the crawl space, but I am not sure where they are going. I was up in the attic, but there are parts in the attic I can't reach.

Leviton has contacted me and will help me find a local installer.
Please don't trash the parts. I'll pay you for shipping if you are open to it.
I doubt if the floodlights are providing a 12 volt source. The external power module usually is a small circuit board. It would have a separate power supply going to it. If you hooked the Omni, the power and console back together, you can get the info without hooking the unknown 12 volt wire back up.
If you hook the Omni back up... Observe the error messages, they may identify the device. If not try the "6" status button then select zones and see if you can scroll through them.

Here are the pictures of the HAI Omni.

Attachments

• PXL_20230413_212000649.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212000649.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230413_211949551.jpg
    PXL_20230413_211949551.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230413_211938405.jpg
    PXL_20230413_211938405.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230413_212100620.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212100620.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230413_212010427.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212010427.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230413_211925497.jpg
    PXL_20230413_211925497.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230413_212122032.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212122032.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230413_212030518.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212030518.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230413_212022026.jpg
    PXL_20230413_212022026.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Thanks for the pictures. The blue board is a siren driver, the next picture I'm not sure it has a phone line sense driver and some relays so it interfaces with the phone line, then the 24 VAC power and an X10 module, then the smokes and an RJX11 phone interface, then an HAI 4 relay module, then a sounder?, then the heat detector, then the console and finally the Omni.

If there was a 12v aux power, what does it look like. I tested the two door sensors, hoping that would be the source of the power, but no luck.

There is a mystery outlet, 8 feet up by a door corner. Just seem strange for an outlet to be there. The faceplate was solid. There was 60v power to it, and what looks like a 6 pin quick disconnect connection.

It is a little concerning, to me, that there is a live 12v I can't track down. Weather should be cooler tomorrow, so I should hopefully be able to look around a bit more.

Thanks.

Could the live wire be coming from the garage door. Or maybe a pump to a well. If so, how would I know. Is there something I could be looking for.

What could that 4 slot relay sensor been used for?

Could the live wire be coming from the garage door. Or maybe a pump to a well. If so, how would I know. Is there something I could be looking for.

What could that 4 slot relay sensor been used for?
The relays could be used with inputs or outputs. Its hard to say. I can think of 2 things to try...
1. Turn off the breakers in your home, 1 at a time. Check the 12 volt line and see if it goes away when a certain breaker is off. If so, you have it tracked down to one circuit in the home.
2. Hook up the Omni to the console. Tell us the error messages and scroll through the zones.
Did you take any pictures before disconnecting the system? Are there any labels on the cables?

No pictures since I assumed it was deactivated. And also assumed it would be like an ADT system, simply remove the plug and everything would be dead. Only labels are 2, 12, 15. Quite a few are not label, but the lines are dead, no volt.

There was an omnistat thermostat, tied to a heat pump, in the living room. It was replaced by a Nest and relocated to the hallway by the previous owner.

I can not get pass the disarm stage. I tried the default code in the guide of 1111 and it didn't work.

The messages from the console.

Front door not ready.
Living Room Window not ready.
Garage door not ready.
Utility door not ready.
Family room door not ready.
Fire detection trbl now.

Somehow got into the zones.

Zones
1 front door not ready
2 Brian's window secure
3 Side windows secure