HAI OmniPro II - are my lights using UDP?

CSAtlanta

Complete newbie to this thread. When we built our house 10 years ago we had HAI Omnipro II installed and managing certain lights, security, thermostats, and integrated with Russound for multi-room audio. I am trying to now automate more things around the house, and getting the system to latest firmware etc. One thing I am trying to understand is how I work out what type of connection the light switches we have are using. How do I know if they are UDP, or ZWave or something else?

I am also considering adding HomeSeer into the mix to see if that makes automation and scripting easier.

Apologies if this seems very basic.

Have a look at your panel serial ports and cables.  

1 - X10 you will have a TW-523 and X10 light switches
2 - UPB you will have a UPB PIM plugged in at the end of a cable and UPB light switches
3 - ZWave you will have a VRCOP plugged in and ZWave light switches
4 - Zigbee you will have a Leviton ZIM plugged in to the panel and Zigbee light switches.

Thank you for the information. I took a look and I have a ZIM plugged in to the upper left connection (looks more line a phone jack type end point than what I traditionally think of as a serial port). The ZIM itself shows me devices for the two thermostats, but that is it. Would light switches not show on the ZIM itself? I have two other cables connected in the ports next to the ZIM but they both disappear into the wall and I do not know what they serve.

Other than connecting with a PC to the panel, is there any other way to see the configuration?

Would light switches not show on the ZIM itself?

Light switches would show up on the ZIM itself.

I have two other cables connected in the ports next to the ZIM but they both disappear into the wall and I do not know what they serve.

Do you see any outlets nearby to the panel?

Take a picture of the light switch and post it here and or take a picture of the light switch with the cover removed and post it here.

To manage the lights you will need to look at the PC Access configuration.

In the 1990's extended my CM11A from second floor attic down to the basement fuse panel...old owners of said OP2 panel might have done the same with their TW-523 (X10 interface).  I have extended mine about 25 feet from the OP2 panel (and UPB PIM).

Would light switches not show on the ZIM itself?

Light switches would show up on the ZIM itself.

I have two other cables connected in the ports next to the ZIM but they both disappear into the wall and I do not know what they serve.

Do you see any outlets nearby to the panel?

Take a picture of the light switch and post it here and or take a picture of the light switch with the cover removed and post it here.

To manage the lights you will need to look at the PC Access configuration.

In the 1990's extended my CM11A from second floor attic down to the basement fuse panel...old owners of said OP2 panel might have done the same with their TW-523 (X10 interface). I have extended mine about 25 feet from the OP2 panel (and UPB PIM).
Coming back to this thread as I am about to start a project to clean all my automation installation up.
I have UPB switches that I managed to get working again, and can be switched on/off with the Touchscreen 5.7e and the Myro:Home app. I then had to replace the Comcast Xfi modem, and as a result, had to reconfigure my Unifi network, HAI OMNI panel IP address etc. The lights no longer work from the touchscreen OR from the controller attached directly to the panel.

Today I installed a Homeseer Troller hub as I want to use that to slowly add more pieces to my automation set-up that don't need to go through the HAI panel. I installed the HAI plugin for Homeseer and it pulls in all the information from the panel BUT the lights don't work from there either.

What are my options for working out why the lights can no longer be set using HAI? The UPB PIM is plugged in and has a flashing green light for status. I tried using the console to go to the unit, then put the switch into Discover mode, then try to get to config the unit from the controller, however, it just shows "STARTING" and never does anything. I am guessing that it just cannot detect the switch.

On a slightly different topic. Does anyone know why I don't see the HAI panel as a client on my network? I can look at my Unifi dashboard and see all my clients, including my two HAI touchscreens but not the actual HAI panel. I set the IP address, subnet etc. via the controller. It's obviously connected fine, I can ping the IP address and the touchscreens communicate with it. Just have no idea why I don't see it as a device.

Appreciate the assistance.

Last edited:
Guessing that your UPB switches are HAI switches. You can see your UPB network of switches with Windows software called Upstart.
You can do diagnostics and manual control any of your UPB switches with Upstart. You can utilize your existing UPB PIM with Upstart with the cable and an RS-232 plug or purchase a spare UPB PIM.

Download the Leviton HAI PC Access software posted on the forum. Install it and connect it to the IP you configured on your OmniPro panel.
Download the configuration of your panel with it. With the software you can control your UPB switches.

Can you ping the panels IP address from any device on your network?

Guessing the new Xfinity modem changed the subnet on your home network. You mentioned that you changed the IP of the OmniPro 2 panel.

Did you change the IP to an IP on your new subnet?

You also have to change the OmniPro2 address on your Omnitouch 5.7e touchscreen and Myro software if you have not done that already.

Please go to your XFinity modem and copy and paste here your new subnet information. It might have been easier to configure your new modem with your old info relating to gateway, subnet mask and DHCP scope.

1 - gateway IP
2 - subnet mask
3 - DHCP scope

The Ethernet port on the Leviton / HAI panel is old style network technology. The panel does not have a DHCP client running. It will typically not show up on a DHCP client list.

Baby steps. I do not think there is anything wrong with your UPB network or OmniPro 2 panel or touchscreen or Myro software.

What are my options for working out why the lights can no longer be set using HAI?

This is just a misconfiguration issue and not related to your lights. Test your lights with keyboard console commands. The keypad console is a serially connected device (not IP). Using the console go to set up and check your IP and key codes. Make sure the IP is on your new subnet.

Guessing that your UPB switches are HAI switches. You can see your UPB network of switches with Windows software called Upstart.
You can do diagnostics and manual control any of your UPB switches with Upstart. You can utilize your existing UPB PIM with Upstart with the cable and an RS-232 plug or purchase a spare UPB PIM.

Download the Leviton HAI PC Access software posted on the forum. Install it and connect it to the IP you configured on your OmniPro panel.
Download the configuration of your panel with it. With the software you can control your UPB switches.

Can you ping the panels IP address from any device on your network?

Guessing the new Xfinity modem changed the subnet on your home network. You mentioned that you changed the IP of the OmniPro 2 panel.

Did you change the IP to an IP on your new subnet?

You also have to change the OmniPro2 address on your Omnitouch 5.7e touchscreen and Myro software if you have not done that already.

Please go to your XFinity modem and copy and paste here your new subnet information. It might have been easier to configure your new modem with your old info relating to gateway, subnet mask and DHCP scope.

1 - gateway IP
2 - subnet mask
3 - DHCP scope

The Ethernet port on the Leviton / HAI panel is old style network technology. The panel does not have a DHCP client running. It will typically not show up on a DHCP client list.

Baby steps. I do not think there is anything wrong with your UPB network or OmniPro 2 panel or touchscreen or Myro software.

What are my options for working out why the lights can no longer be set using HAI?

This is just a misconfiguration issue and not related to your lights. Test your lights with keyboard console commands. The keypad console is a serially connected device (not IP). Using the console go to set up and check your IP and key codes. Make sure the IP is on your new subnet.
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. I should have made myself clearer. There is no issue with the panel not having an IP address and connecting to the network. I configured the IP address, subnet, port etc. from the keypad console. I can ping it from my phone and the touchscreens and Myro app connect fine. From the touchscreen and Myro app I can set my security. What I can't do is operate the lights. That is where I then tried to configure them from the keypad console and get the "Starting" message that doesn't do anything even with the switch in discovery mode.

What I couldn't understand is why I didn't see the panel come up in my client list when looking at all the clients via my Unifi console. I think you have answered that by referencing that it doesn't have a DHCP client.

Any assistance on why I cannot get lights to work would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
What I can't do is operate the lights. That is where I then tried to configure them from the keypad console and get the "Starting" message that doesn't do anything even with the switch in discovery mode.

This is where you install PC Access dealer software on a Windows computer. It is free now. Your HAI switches should work fine BUT any other type of UPB switches will not work.

PCA ==> Setup ==> Units ==> Dealer Settings ==> UPB Network address and UPB Network password.

This is only a setting that you configure. I am not sure that this configuration is written to the UPB switches, rather it is read from the switches.

Using Upstart you can make sure that your UPB network is configured for the same UPB Network address and UPB Network password.
This configuration is written to the UPB switches and read when scanning your UPB network.

Well most important is that you need to validate that your UPB PIM is functioning correctly and best way to do this is to connect it or a hot spare to a Windows PC. If you UPB pim is disfunctional or not working then you will not be able to turn on and off your lamps with the UPB PIM which is connected to your OmniPro 2 panel. IE: your panel talks serially to your UPB PIM. Your panel may be working fine but if there is a bad PIM then your lighting control will not work via the OmniPro 2 panel. There is NO UPB Diagnostics built in to the OS / Firmware of the OmniPro 2 panel or any OmniPanel.

This is much easier than using the console HAI configuration. It works but it is very primitive.

The UPB switches are way easier to program with Upstart than the HAI console for me.

Install it and configure it to connect to the IP of your OmniPro panel. You need to also put in the two codes and installer code to connect to your panel.

Once you connect to your panel download your configuration and save it.

There in PCA you go to the status of your units and you can turn on and off and dim your UPB units.

The panel to UPB PIM and UPB (HAI) switches have nothing to do with your Ethernet IP configuration on your panel or router.

That said the UPB code utilized to communicate to the PIM is in PCA dealer configuration. That has to be correct in order for you to communicate to your UPB devices.

You cannot really do that much with the configuration of UPB switches and the HAI UPB configuration via console only works with HAI switches.

Personally here using SA UPB switches and my panel is configured for use of UPB and not HAI UPB switches.

I am guessing you are using all Leviton HAI UPB switches which can be configured with the console or PCA. NOTE that this only works with HAI UPB switches.

Last edited:
Back