HAI system, need to add some things

brewbush

Hi all, 
  First post here and hoping I can get some direction on where to go.

My home has a HAI system originally put in in 1999.  I lived here for 2 yrs.  It controls security, motion detectors, window break (wifi and new), and I use it via my phone to turn off/on my pool, certain lights, etc....

I only have one person in my area that can service it and upgrade/do installs and they work for my security monitoring company.  I am lucky they know about the system.  I am looking to add some additional items and I really do not know what I need to purchase or how to do it and integrate it into what I currently have.

I have outdoor lights that are going to be plugged in to outdoor receptacles, I want to be able to control these via HAI.  I will have to have a electrician put the plugs into the outdoor area and these will not have the control cable wired to them.  

1.  What is the best way to control these via an iPhone?  Does HAI have a wifi plug or device that can be integrated into the system?   I do not think I will be able to get these hardwired because of time constraints and I am really not sure if it is needed in 2015.

2.  Do I need to go to another system (Insteon) with a hub and just use a separate app to control these?

I also have Foscam IP WIFI cameras.  Now I am pretty sure these can not be integrated into the HAI system without >$1000 outlay for a module for the main unit.  

1.  Does anyone use something like Insteon hub to utilize the cameras?  If so which one, new one or the homelike+ new one?    

2.  I had been using IPCameraviewer and it worked fine, but recently upgraded the modem, IP changed, and I have not spent the time to reconfigure them.  So while they are sitting idle I am determining if I need to get something different for the outdoor lights, then I can meld it with the cameras too hopefully.

Sorry for the long initial post, but the installation and electrician visit is due in the next week and I would like to try to have some uptodate information by then of how to incorporate these into as few new "apps" on the phone!

Thanks
Jon

Hello and welcome:

The HAI can control lights via many different technologies. You say you are controlling lights now? Do you know what technology you are using?  Insteon can be used, but probably wouldn't be the best choice. If you use UPB, for example, you can just give those switches to your electrician to install, and then you can pair them with your panel at a later time. Same with many other switch technologies. 

As for control from iPhone, there is a program called HAIku and an upgrade to it called Space.  I personally like HAIku better, but SPACE is the "upgrade."  You can buy it in the Apple store for about $50.  It works great in your house. To use it outside your house you will need to do some network configuration. 

The IP Cameras depends on where and how you want to display them, and HAIku and Space support those.

ano said:
Hello and welcome:

The HAI can control lights via many different technologies. You say you are controlling lights now? Do you know what technology you are using?  Insteon can be used, but probably wouldn't be the best choice. If you use UPB, for example, you can just give those switches to your electrician to install, and then you can pair them with your panel at a later time. Same with many other switch technologies. 

As for control from iPhone, there is a program called HAIku and an upgrade to it called Space.  I personally like HAIku better, but SPACE is the "upgrade."  You can buy it in the Apple store for about $50.  It works great in your house. To use it outside your house you will need to do some network configuration. 

The IP Cameras depends on where and how you want to display them, and HAIku and Space support those.

I was told a year ago that the switches are Vizia RF.   I really do not know if these are UPB or not.   So I do not know if those are the switches I need or if I need or can get something newer or different?  

Are there switches that I can get that do not need direct wiring to be able to have the HAI system control them?  If so, which ones are they?

I have been using the Snaplink app for iPhone.  Is the HAIku much different or offer any better control?.  It was just I do not know what exact switches I need to get in order to expand control to other items in the house, unfortunately there are no readily available people in my area that know the system.  Every electrician I meet has to "do some research" when they leave and I usually do not hear anything from them for a month.

So how do I connect to the cameras with HAI?  Do they need to have a professional pair them with the system/mainboard?  Do they need to be hardwired back to the mainboard?  Or do they need a certain plug or wifI adapter?   I unfortunately do not know how to do it or where to start.  Originally I just port forwarded them all in the router and used the IPCAMERA app to look at the images, separate from the HAI system.  At least I was able to log in anywhere in the world to look at the cameras.

If there is any additional info that I can give to you about my current setup that can help guide your recommendations ask away.  It seems everything other then the new window/door modules are hardwired so I am feeling frustrated at how to go about adding new items with so many choices out there and determining what is compatible with my current setup.

It is easy to expand your system with Vizia RF devices, but you'll need a few tools. For now you can get Vizia outlets and give it to your electrician to install: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRR15-1LZ-Resistant-Capable-Receptacle/dp/B0039UW92A/

To make it work with HAI you'll need to obtain a PC access software unless you already have it. It is possible to program the switches using the keypad as well, but it's going to be a major pain. Also you'll need a Leviton installer tool: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRUSB-1US-Vizia-Installer-Tool/dp/B0050T2ODM/ in order to add the new switches to your z-wave network.

Check this site for other vizia rf devices you may want to add to your network: http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Vizia-RF-By-Leviton_2

If you use Snap link, you should be able to view your cameras on it, have you tried that? If you don't see the cameras you may have to configure them via PC access.

brewbush said:
I was told a year ago that the switches are Vizia RF.   I really do not know if these are UPB or not.   So I do not know if those are the switches I need or if I need or can get something newer or different?  

Are there switches that I can get that do not need direct wiring to be able to have the HAI system control them?  If so, which ones are they?

I have been using the Snaplink app for iPhone.  Is the HAIku much different or offer any better control?.  It was just I do not know what exact switches I need to get in order to expand control to other items in the house, unfortunately there are no readily available people in my area that know the system.  Every electrician I meet has to "do some research" when they leave and I usually do not hear anything from them for a month.

So how do I connect to the cameras with HAI?  Do they need to have a professional pair them with the system/mainboard?  Do they need to be hardwired back to the mainboard?  Or do they need a certain plug or wifI adapter?   I unfortunately do not know how to do it or where to start.  Originally I just port forwarded them all in the router and used the IPCAMERA app to look at the images, separate from the HAI system.  At least I was able to log in anywhere in the world to look at the cameras.

If there is any additional info that I can give to you about my current setup that can help guide your recommendations ask away.  It seems everything other then the new window/door modules are hardwired so I am feeling frustrated at how to go about adding new items with so many choices out there and determining what is compatible with my current setup.
Vizia RF uses Z-wave technology, so any Z-Wave switch should work, but I would stick to the type you already have. No wires needed, its wireless.

So Snaplink is made by Leviton and HAIku if from a third-party company.  From experience, software from Leviton is not very good, and often not supported once its released. HAIku is much more feature-rich.  The camera question has different answers depending which panel and/or mobile application you are using to view it. I'm pretty sure HAIku can view IP cameras without added hardware.  There is a HAIku forum here: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/67-haiku-haikuhelper/

Back