HAI upb light switches help

lamartk

I bought a home with HAI automation but was given very little guidance as to how to operate/set up the automation. With the help of Google, I was able to self educate myself on how to control most of the automation with snaplink on my phone.

several weeks ago, I noticed that one of my perimeter (master outdoor) no longer works and the led display does not turn on anymore. I re-wired the switch and followed the instructions posted on this forum and was able to get it working as before.

However, after I re-wired the master outdoor switch, my second perimeter switch (backdoor) no longer works with the controller nor the snaplink app. I have tried to get the controller to configure it again but it simply wouldn't detect the module.

The backdoor can be operated by two switches. I believe both switched are 35a00-3 due to the air gap switch lever but I was only able to enter set up mode with the switch in the detached garage (not the one indoor). I have even tried to factory reset the garage one but it would simply blink red with no options of stopping the blinking. Do I have faulty devices?

I have used upstart program and it detected all the other upbs in the house but the outdoor.

What happened? How come fixing one switch messed with another switch? Please help as I have run out of answers and google seems to be running low on fumes.

Thanks!!

You may have an ID conflict.
Changing the first switch may have given it an ID that was in use by another switch.

How did you "rewire" the switch? Did you change anything or simply remove and reconnect the same as it had been before?

Only one switch at the backdrop actually operates the lights (unless the other one is a remote switch), the other switch is sending a link to the primary over the power line.

Do you have PCAccess? You need to look at the configuration in the controller vs. the network layout in UPStart to determine any mismatches.

Thank you for your response and assistance.

For the Master Outdoor, I removed the switch and wired it as it was done originally.  Fortunately, it fixed itself, still not sure why it went out in the first place.

For the Backdoor, I plan to take a look at the switches and wiring and determine how it was done.  

I do not have PCAccess at this moment, but have ordered the dealer version 1105W and should receive it sometime this week.  I have tried connecting the PIM to Upstart, it detected every working upb except the backdoor.  I tried to add device with Upstart since the controller could not detect the module in set-up mode, but that was unsuccessful as well.

Nowhere online (at least in my searches) can diagnose what non-stop blinking red means?

I would call HAI/Leviton about the flashing red LED.

Does UPStart not detect the switch in either set up mode or when using Network Discovery?

PCAccess will tell you a lot more about your configuration.

If you don't, already have one, I recommend having a second PIM so you can keep the HAI PIM connected tot eh controller and run UPStart simultaneously.
That also greatly eases troubleshooting because you can run the log in Upstart and capture all of the UPB traffic while the controller and switches are communicating across the network.

Upstart does not detect the switch in Network Discovery nor in set up mode.  

I unscrewed the brackets yesterday to look at the switches.  I was wrong in that both switches were upb.  Apparently, the one in the garage is the 35a00-3 and the indoor switch was auxiliary.  This makes sense as to why I could not get the aux switch to go into set up mode.  I am wondering if it would make a difference with detection if I interchange the switches (i.e. indoor would be the upb and garage switch would be the aux).  

I will receive the PCAccess software tomorrow and hopefully will obtain more information about the configuration and report back.

Usually a remote switch is very simple, it may have some electronics to active some special functions on the master switch, but it doesn't usually have its own UPB ID nor communicate over the power lines to other switches.

Ok, I got PCAccess.  One thing that stood out to me Rm 2 (Perimeter) did not have the all on/off programming.  I believe  when I was trying to re-program the defective switch for master outdoor, I accidentally went to Perimeter (Rm 2) and configured that to the master outdoor switch.  I then subsequently programmed that same switch to master outdoor.  So when I turn on Perimeter, it would only turn on Master Outdoor instead of all the switches that was configured for Perimeter.  How do I default Rm 2-1 to the original set-up?  

Maybe this is what is causing the backdoor switch to not be picked up in set-up mode?  (Not sure, but just my guess).

Back