Has anyone seen a plug in 120V relay?

az1324

I'm looking for a contact closure relay built into a standard 120V plug. Does that exist? I'd like to plug it into a switched 120V outlet to provide a simple contact closure result.

Yes, answer depends on what technology you are interested in. I know UPB (Simply Automated) offers a low voltage contact relay in a powerline carrier device.

WGLDesign.com offers a Rain8X10 X10 version (and also RS232 version and RF).

What are you trying to do? That's always a better way to get help.

az1324 said:
I'm looking for a contact closure relay built into a standard 120V plug. Does that exist? I'd like to plug it into a switched 120V outlet to provide a simple contact closure result.
I'm guessing he wants some sort of "house power indicator" and doesn't want the relay controlled.

I have not found one to date and wound up building my own (even included a meter just for grins).

The wall wart triggering a relay is another great idea though! :D

Attachments

• ac_indicator.jpg
    ac_indicator.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 29
BSR; That looks like a good solution. I also have never seen a 120 Volt relay with a set of prongs like a plug.
Another could be a 120 VAC relay in a enclosure with a short extension cord on the AC side.

BLH said:
BSR; That looks like a good solution. I also have never seen a 120 Volt relay with a set of prongs like a plug.
Another could be a 120 VAC relay in a enclosure with a short extension cord on the AC side.
Problem is the terminals for the AC coil are usually right next to the terminals for the contacts. If you want to switch low voltage from a 120 VAC trigger you will have high and low voltage wires living in the same enclosure. The wall wart solution will not expose you to any potential code violations. (And will ensure your low voltage circuit never comes in contact with 120 VAC)

BraveSirRobbin said:
I'm guessing he wants some sort of "house power indicator" and doesn't want the relay controlled.
And a less direct, but simpler (from a hardware perspective) solution for those who have an Elk panel, is to simply do a rule to turn an output on/off based on AC trouble. I already have some plans for this. :D

dscline said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
And a less direct, but simpler (from a hardware perspective) solution for those who have an Elk panel, is to simply do a rule to turn an output on/off based on AC trouble. I already have some plans for this. :)
Unless you have your Elk on UPS power and want an immediate indication (so you can take any necessary action such as RD into your system before UPS power runs out). :D

But if you're using its own battery back-up functionality, you should get an "ac trouble" problem right away, even though it's still running on battery, correct? I think it can take up to an 18ah battery, so I don't really have a need to add a larger external UPS.

Depending on your loading of the panel 16 aH of battery backup will give you 24 hrs or so of backup. In some areas power outages can last longer than that so people use a UPS as well for additional battery backup. I know that where I am they predict power outages of 5 days or more after a huricane. I have a generator so I can always recharge but I will be putting in a UPS anyway for my router and modem so I will probably plug the alarm in as well.

All depends where you live etc.

What I want to do is have an insteon based contact closure. They are supposedly releasing one later this year but who likes waiting. I was going to either have the relay plugged into an appliancelinc or into an outlet switched by a switchlinc. It is currently controlled by an X10 universal module but it is obnoxiously loud and can't be polled for status. I might end up hacking an appliancelinc module and disconnect the line voltage input/output to the relay and replace it with the contacts.

I just thought there might be an existing product to make it simple but yeah I've considered the ways it could be rigged up also.

dscline said:
Rupp said:
That looks like what he's looking for, but wow... $60 for a relay with a 120v coil? Being the cheap kind of guy I am, if I had a need for this, I'd buy a relay (should be <$10 if you search), spend another couple bucks on a cheap extension cord to get a plug and outlet, and another few bucks for a box to put it all in. ;)
That's good that your able to do this but many aren't ....

I think you will find the construction of the module does not lend itself to easy hacking. If youdoyble sticky a $6 Elk Relay onto a a $5 Wall wart (with the wall wart feeding the relay coil) you will have something that is simple, safe, and legal.

A lot of responses are referring to power-fail relays... Is that what you are doing? Because I understood you to want to control a low voltage contact via Insteon.

Back