Has anyone used Empire Security's ESC-IPC5 IP PTZ camera?

I'm looking for POE IP cameras for inside & outside.  Inside first.  I currently have some Foscams.  They work, they're decent, but they're really not made well (poor image quality, bad ASF stream delay, bad wifi, etc).  I'd really like to get something better.

My must haves:
- POE
- Pan-tilt (I'll get some fixed cameras later)
- h.264 encoding (to make streaming/storage easier, esp on mobile devices)
- audio in
- low cost (ideally 150-200, if possible)
- IR LEDs
- IR cut filter (ie. good daytime colors)

I've been looking at some of the recommended brands, most seem great but out of my price range.  I just noticed these:

http://empiresecuritycameras.com/p-125-esc-ipc5-13mp-720p-outdoor-vandal-dome-ip-poe-camera-28-12mm-lens-onvif.aspx
http://empiresecuritycameras.com/p-124-esc-ipc5-20-1080p-outdoor-dome-ip-poe-camera-28-12mm-lens-onvif.aspx

They're 1.3 and 2MP versions of the same camera.  Hits everything on my list, also has optical zoom, IP66, ONVIF.  And they're only $130 / $160.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras?  I seem to remember Empire being a recommended middle/low-end camera supplier, but I want to make sure this is a not another situation like the Foscams (ie. over promise, but unreliable).

Also, if there are other cameras in a similar price range (which I think rules out cameras like Axis, etc), feel free to recommend.

Thanks!

(Notes: not sure if it matters, but some background; these will be used inside for monitoring, not security; think babycam.  Mounted in corner of ceiling w/ POE already installed)

Just a quick follow-up: I contacted Empire Security with some questions about those cameras.  Turns out they are *not* PTZ as listed in the description.  The description lists a bunch of things (PTZ, h.264, MPEG-4, RTP, etc).  However, that section is just a generic description of all the things that ONVIF 2.0 covers, and *not* a description of what this camera can do (very confusing).

The person on the phone confirmed these are not PTZ, and did not know it does MPEG4 or h264.  Looks like it was too good to be true.  I may use these for non PTZ variants, but I'm still on the lookout for a sub-500 PTZ h264 IR camera.

From my research, you can't get a PTZ camera for that kind of price. And if you do, it simply won't last. If you need it for more than a year, you may want to increase your budget significantly, especially if you place them outside.

You get what you pay for!

Also, you don't want to get one that has unknown protocols or support....it'll make your life a nightmare when dealing with NVR's and software.

rocketmonkeys said:
Just a quick follow-up: I contacted Empire Security with some questions about those cameras.  Turns out they are *not* PTZ as listed in the description.  The description lists a bunch of things (PTZ, h.264, MPEG-4, RTP, etc).  However, that section is just a generic description of all the things that ONVIF 2.0 covers, and *not* a description of what this camera can do (very confusing).
 For that reason alone I would avoid them.

Yeah, I've had iffy luck with the Foscams as well.  They're ok for the money, till they quit working. Researching replacement today as a matter of fact, lol.. 

newalarm said:
From my research, you can't get a PTZ camera for that kind of price. And if you do, it simply won't last. If you need it for more than a year, you may want to increase your budget significantly, especially if you place them outside.

I think I may be able to just do fixed domes + wide-angle lenses for the exterior.  Right now I just want to find a decent replacement for my FI8910W that has better video/audio support (especially h.264) and POE.

DELInstallations said:
You get what you pay for!

Also, you don't want to get one that has unknown protocols or support....it'll make your life a nightmare when dealing with NVR's and software.

I'm trying real hard to get more than I pay for here :)  But yes; if I go cheap, I should expect cheap results.  That said, I'd still love to look around & see if there are any $200-300 PTZ options before spending more.  Re: protocols - is ONVIF compatibility enough?  I figured that was more "open" / cross-compatible than the standard proprietary stuff (like foscsam, edimax, etc).

gatchel said:
 For that reason alone I would avoid them.

Yeah, pretty misleading.  I'm thinking it was bad wording and not intentionally misleading, since they do have a good return policy & I'm sure people that bought cameras with that text in mind would simply return them.  But you never know.

JDWX said:
Yeah, I've had iffy luck with the Foscams as well.  They're ok for the money, till they quit working. Researching replacement today as a matter of fact, lol.. 

I've actually been using a couple for a few years, and they've been satisfactory.  No failures, and it's great for what they do offer.  But setting up on wireless is a pain, and I can't find a good way to see video+audio on my PC without huge delay.  That limits its use as a baby/kid monitor for me in the short term.

What other brands should I be looking at?  Is there some simple PTZ POE camera with decent audio without spending $500 or more?

not PTZ, but I've been pretty happy with Grandstream products lately - they seem to be good quality and support several features - and they also make a network video decoder which can hook straight to a TV.  They just came out with a new line of indoor/outdoor fixed domes with IR (literally hit distributors this week) that are perfectly reasonable.  I'm seriously considering buying 3 of them to use as baby monitors along with the network decoder which can display 4 cams at once on a regular TV.  They also support SIP for audio which is fairly unique.  The new one is GXV3610 IIRC.

If you want pricing on those, PM me - I'm not allowed to post anything other than MSRP online.

Back