HD Tivo $800 + $200 = $1000+

johnnynine

Wow, the new Series 3 Tivo is out for $800 plus a monthly fee of around $13 (depending on the plan).

Or if you are a current tivo lifetime subscription owner you can "transfer" your life time subscription (before 2007) for $200 plus the $800 cost of the box.

I wonder if there is an additional charge for a CableCARDâ„¢ or 2 from your cable company.

It will record Up to 32 hours of HDTV or 300 hours in standard definition and it doesn't work with Satellite programming.

I'm not sure if it converts HD to analog for old fashioned TVs and likewise if it can convert and transfer HD programming to a Series 2 box for viewing on an older tv.

So we're looking at $1000+ for a Series3 tivo with lifetime subscription that only records 32 hours of HDTV.

I wonder how much a HTPC with the same functionality would cost ... if we had CableCARDâ„¢ capable video cards.

Luckily none of my favorite tv shows are in HDTV.

Exactly why I put a $100 HD antenna on the roof for OTA signals [NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, fox, 1-2 others], and got a $100 HD Tuner card for the PC.

I would love sopranos in HD, don't care about missing ESPN, but for $200 with no recurring costs, and unlimited disk capacity, i'll take it.

johnnynine said:
Wow, the new Series 3 Tivo is out for $800 plus a monthly fee of around $13 (depending on the plan).

Or if you are a current tivo lifetime subscription owner you can "transfer" your life time subscription (before 2007) for $200 plus the $800 cost of the box.
Nice idea on pitching to the current lifetime subscribers. However, $1,000 is $1,000. I have two Tivo boxes with lifetime subscriptions. At $1K though...

I tend to think it is a better bet to see what the future brings. You can put that $1k towards a new Vista system that comes with all this functionality (or will it?).

I spent $900 or so on the Pioneer Tivo with a DVD recorder. I regretted spending the extra money in hindsight, although I have always been happy with Tivo service.

Back