• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Hello World

Long time lurker but finally have a house I can really start investing in. There is no other route for me over DIY. I like to learn and do as much as I can myself. I'm a web analytics professional but more on the implementation side so I'm very technically savvy on the computer side but learning on the electronics side. I've recently purchased a Raspberry Pi to play around with Ninja blocks for home automation. I was writing a plugin for the Insteon PLM but don't have too much time to devote to that so I've put it aside for now. I had high hopes for the Android @ home sdk and Google when they acquired Sage TV. I'm hesitant to spend money on anything because I have a gut feeling we're on the cusp of some serious innovation in this field.

With that said, here is where I am:

--Replacing an old Radionics D6112 alarm system hopefully keeping all the sensors installed.
--I have a lot of Xantech equipment I've been piecing together a WHA system over the years. Wrote a php api to handle TCP connections for a Global Cache device to control my zpr6810. Javascript frontend that changes zones and sources. Finally decided to get a Digi-5 system when we bought the house.
--Have a WMC box with a cable card setup but I'm think I'm going to cut the cord with the cable company. Experimenting with JRIver for media management moving forward.
--Have a good amount of insteon equipment from my old house I'm going to install here - Keypads, dimmers, thermostat etc.
--Unfinished basement waiting for some love.

Here is where I'm going:

-- M1 Gold / ISY or Vista 20p / Vera, I change my mind every 5 secs
-- HVAC Dampers to give some better energy efficiency
-- More Insteon, garage door, door bells etc
-- IP cameras eventually
-- Smokes, CO
-- Theater/game room in basement

Look forward to learning more. Cocoontech has been a great resource.