Help- Best hardwired security system?

ldd4c

We recently completed construction on our dream house.  Our builder installed wired sensors on all surface level windows and doors.  Also, low voltage wires roughed in for motion sensors and control pads.  We also ran CAT6 for hardwired outdoor security cameras.  Everything runs to a utility closet in the basement.

We used ADT at our previous residence, so naturally I gave them a call to take a look at our new place.  Our service rep is very knowledgeable and responsive.  My biggest issue with ADT is the somewhat antiquated hardware (esp the keypad).  The pulse system helps somewhat in this department.  I understand many have complained about costumer support, but (knock on wood!) I never needed to call them at our old place.

I have also done a fair amount of research on-line, looking at some of the newer companies.  Most are wireless installations, which give us the option to take it with us if we ever relocate (did I mention this is our dream house- we are not moving!)

So my questions are- Do we stick with ADT given that the heavy lifting has already been done by my builder?  Or do I go with a hybrid system?  If so, which company(ies)?  I really can't see myself going all wireless at this point.

Thanks!

My home originally had a builder quality Napco GEM alarm system. In 2006, Napco didn't offer Ethernet connectivity and there were no mobile apps for control. So, I swapped out my original panel/keypads with an Elk M1 Gold system and reused all my existing hardwired sensors and wire runs in the walls. The Elk has expansion boards if you need more wired/wireless zones.

I later added a UDI ISY-994Pro/IR ZW for Insteon lighting control and ZWave lock control. Elk/ISY have very good cross integration.

There are number of third party mobile apps to control both the Elk and ISY. MobiLinc HD and eKeypad Pro for iOS are both excellent and take a slightly different UI approach. ML does offer an Android version, but updates lag a bit behind the iOS version.

The great thing is you can program both the Elk and ISY to do almost anything you want, and there is great community support for both products.

Personally, I much prefer a hardwired system.  Sounds like you are well on your way to doing the same.  To me, all those devices relying on wireless connections and batteries just sounds like trouble.

I'm not a huge fan of ADT or anything like that, but it is what we've had in our last 2 places.  We had 2 of their color touchpads installed at our current place.  A bit pricey as I recall, but worth it if you want something nicer than their regular pads.

Thanks for the replies.  I am generally all about DIY, but the scope of this project is more than I have time to tackle.  I will be calling on the experts for the install and monitoring.  The market seems to be flooded with new companies, with more attractive UI's than ADT.  The problem is most use all wireless hardware.  I live in the Washington DC metro.  Any one know of other companies offering hardwired solutions in this area.

thanks again!!

This may not apply to your area, but I've learned that most of the offers you see for ADT are from dealers and not actually from ADT.  This is significant because the dealers always (in my experience and in a discussion with an actual ADT rep) push the wireless systems because they are easy to install and have a big markup.  If you contact an actual ADT rep in your area, they will be happy (again, in my experience) to work with your existing hard wired alarm.

I've never used ADT and have no direct experience with them. Having said that, I know a few people who have had ADT systems installed and they simply moved away from ADT due to the cost. One in particular is a co-worker who paid upward of $1,500 for an ADT system; consisted of sensors on every door and window, glass breaks, smokes, CO, and motions. Ultimately, he found out that the sensors used were Honeywell 5800 series, which are Elk compatible, and having an Elk system would enable him to add lighting control as well functionality to do other HA related things. Long story short, his monitoring cost went from roughly $60/mo to less than $10/mo. and he found no difference in the level of service offered.

Granted, he did go from having a cellular monitored system to a network monitored system. He's just ordered a cellular communicator and is going to switch to that shortly, which will bump the monitoring price up. However, he will still be under $20/mo. which is still 1/3 of the cost for an apples to apples comparison.

Fortunately, we have a very good ADT rep in our area- a real go getter!  Much more knowledgeable than the reps from other companies.  Based on the comments, and after doing more research, it looks like we will being going with ADT.

Again, thanks for the replies

ldd4c said:
Fortunately, we have a very good ADT rep in our area- a real go getter!  Much more knowledgeable than the reps from other companies.  Based on the comments, and after doing more research, it looks like we will being going with ADT.

Again, thanks for the replies
If he is as good as you say, and a real 'go getter' ask him for the installer code to the system so you can perform minor mods when 'you' want!

Hi, I prefer wired systems rather than a wireless system. In our house, we had a wireless security system installed and was not working properly. It was weak in obtaining signal strength and also low in image quality. There are a lot of articles regarding home security systems. I would suggest you an article https://protectionplus.ca/security-system-wired-vs-wireless/#sthash.40ZaaUZr.dpbs and it mentions the difference between wired and wireless systems. As we all are looking for a perfectly running system, I recommend the wired system. Though the wireless system has the advantage of easy installation, they are subjected to various interferences. Hope this helps you. 

Like all security companies, ADT has to make their money back for the "free" or "low cost"system they install. Where they are different is their monitoring charge is about double the industry standard, so that is how the system is paid for.  Once the system is paid off, then the extra money is pure profit for them. Don't want to pay it, then they will lock your system so nobody else can monitor it.

In most places you are far better off getting a reputable dealer to install it who charges what it costs.  Then when YOY own it, you can get any company to monitor it. Just make sure you agree that YOU will get the programming PIN number after you purchase it.

ADT isn't in the free or low cost install business. Not their model. They do offer a basic system, which is very bare bones, not even a full system, to get the RMR stream going for 3 years. Trust me, they are NOT losing money up front if you're dealing with ADT corporate, but they do have a good RMR and mainly proprietary interactive services model.

The only guys installing "free" systems are the dealers for the nationals, which again, is about the RMR, albeit on a larger balloon contract and quite possibly added costs for maintenance/PSA up front.

I spent enough years in that industry and market before going high end/large scale integrator.

Back