Help purchasing Elk system to integrate with Insteon

bbruck

Situation:

I have a 4500, three level house; part of the ground and first floors on at ground level (sloping yard), 16 years old, new when I moved in.

At purchase I installed an ademco alarm:
o extensive glass breaks, door/window sensors, smoke alarms, motion detectors, glass breaks
o mostly hard wired but with one wireless remote keypad so has wireless capabilities
o three wired keypads (one per level), siren in attic, strobe outside
o NO connection for ethernet, serial, computer, etc.

I have a 60-device Insteon home automation installation - primarily lighting and HAC control - controlled via Indigo (that is - software controlled via a Mac) which I am VERY happy with and do not want to change. All 1-2 years old.

Goal:

I would like to be able to use the extensive network of sensors in my alarm system to provide additional information to my HA so that I can build more intelligence into my HA system, and possibly leverage better devices available through the ELK (i.e. temperature sensors aren't really there yet in Insteon) to pass more information than I currently have.

Possibly in the future I'd also like to pass information the other way. For instance, I can easily set variables with my iPhone and control the house from my office via Indigo's iPhone app; I can easily use the iPhone as a proximity device to turn lights on as I approach the house, etc. Might be interesting to control alarm system remotely from the iphone or via Indigo in selected circumstances as well.

I've decided on Elk M1 technology to replace my Ademco box. I'll be getting a modest Christmas bonus this year - enough to buy some hardware but not enough but pay for a professional installer, so I'll be investing sweat equity in the project!

What I'd like help with...

1. Basic shopping list

There are a bunch of M1 kits, but is that the best way to go? Given what I already have, am I correct that I will not need:
o new box
o new siren
o new strobe
o new sensors

I'd like to save money if I can, but am I correct that I will need:
o new power supply
o new backup battery
o new keypads (assuming I still want three keypads)

2. Communicating with the network

o Will an Elk IP-232 send sensor status changes and/or alarm status changes to other devices on my network?
o Will it allow information from the network to be used to control Elk devices and/or status?
o Can these communications be programmed on the Elk side via a PC (given that I also have a PC lying around)

o If not - what's the best way to accomplish this?

3. Is there anything else I need to buy or consider?

Obviously if anyone here has experience integrating Elk with Indigo I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear about it, but in the Perceptive Automation board, it looks like the scripts to connect the two are just being developed by a few folks, and I hope to leverage those - so I suspect the experts on the Indigo are found there.

I'll be happy to report my progress here, however, for any other Mac enthusiasts who may be able to benefit from it.

Hi Bill-
Same situation here:
Mac running Indigo 5
Insteon USB PLM
Insteon devices

Planning to purchase an Elk Security unit.

Did you go ahead with your plan? What did you need to connect communication between the Elk and the Indigo setup?

Look at some of the Elk kits at www.smarthome.com. Recommend getting the M1XEP Ethernet module so you program from any computer on you network, monitor and control using mobile apps eKeypad and mobilinc

Look through some of my videos. Link in signature.

Welcome dabido!

I would highly recommend the M1XEP as well, it gives the M1 an Ethernet interface, but it does use the Main serial port on the ELK.

When buying home automation hardware, I also recommend you stick with a CTVA member (they don't pay to be listed), you are guaranteed to have a good experience and get good pricing.

This is an old thread, so you might want to start a new thread should you have more questions.

elvisimprsntr said:
Look at some of the Elk kits at www.smarthome.com. Recommend getting the M1XEP Ethernet module so you program from any computer on you network, monitor and control using mobile apps eKeypad and mobilinc

Look through some of my videos. Link in signature.

Dan (electron) said:
Welcome dabido!

I would highly recommend the M1XEP as well, it gives the M1 an Ethernet interface, but it does use the Main serial port on the ELK.

When buying home automation hardware, I also recommend you stick with a CTVA member (they don't pay to be listed), you are guaranteed to have a good experience and get good pricing.

This is an old thread, so you might want to start a new thread should you have more questions.

Thanks elvisimprsntr and Dan!
I'm going to write up a new post about my current setup, as I'd prefer to leverage what I can of my existing Insteon system.

Thanks for the info about the M1XEP, though too. From what I understand, that device puts the ELK onto the local network, and then presumably my Indigo (insteon) software's ELK plugin communicates with the ELK unit over the network? Is this correct? There's not actually any other physical or otherwise communication between the Insteon PLC and the ELK?

Correct, the ELK doesn't support INSTEON directly, but if Indigo supports the ELK, then you could in theory trigger Indigo events based on an ELK task trigger etc, all depends on what the ELK driver supports.

Back