Help wiring polarity reversing relay to HAI Panel

I am using System Senor 4-WTA-B smoke detectors with built in Pizo. I have the required RRS-MOD polarity reversing relay installed. I need to connect this device to a HAI OmniPro II panel, both for alarm panel + voltage and for aux power. Wiring to smokes is class D style, with EOL relay and resistor insatlled. The smokes are working individually.

Data can be found systemsensordotcom/pdf/I56-2203.pdf

Not allowed to post links

Primary power to the system is on the Yellow and orange pairs to the RRS-MOD. Power is output to the smoke on the on the white and Brown. Here is what was not obvious. You need the red and black wires hooked up to aux power for this to work. Since when tripped, Red and black will be sent polarity reversed through the RRS-MOD and cause all smoke pizos to energize.

The issue is where does one connect the purple wires, what System Sensor calls the bell/alarm activation where there will be + voltage in an alarm state on the HAI panel? Additonally, where to hook up aux power on the HAI OmniPro II?

I could use a separate Altronix 6A monitored power supply with battery to power this and it has the benefit of also being a monitored power supply. However, just for kicks and giggles, if I were not going to spend on a separate, monitored power supply, where would you connect the aux power that RRS-MOD needs to reverse polarity on a HAI? At any rate, however powered, you need to connect the "purple" wire to the OmniPro II to get the + voltage in an alarm state.

Alan

The red and black wires should be hooked to the switched 12v power terminals. Smoke detectors have to have a power interruption in order to reset after they have been tripped and the 12v switched output goes to 0 volts briefly when you reset.

As for the purple wires, I personally think the best way to activate the reversing module is to use one of the programmable outputs. Program the output to activate when whatever zone you have the smokes on, trips. This will then send voltage to the relay module, it reverses polarity and all of the sounders activate.

The red and black wires should be hooked to the switched 12v power terminals. Smoke detectors have to have a power interruption in order to reset after they have been tripped and the 12v switched output goes to 0 volts briefly when you reset.

As for the purple wires, I personally think the best way to activate the reversing module is to use one of the programmable outputs. Program the output to activate when whatever zone you have the smokes on, trips. This will then send voltage to the relay module, it reverses polarity and all of the sounders activate.

If I might be premitted a stupid question. Aux power is to be connected to the switched power supply while main power to unswitched? The purpose is to remove aux power in order to reset the smokes? Currently I have main power to switched and aux power to constant. I'll rewire.

Alan

I apologize, I just looked closer at their diagram for the RRS-MOD. The Red and the yellow wire can be hooked to the plus terminal of the switched power output and the black and the orange should go to the negative side of the switched power output. The pdf for the RRS-MOD says Auxiliary power or Detector (switched) power but only the switched power output will go to zero volts on a reset.

I also see that this module is different than others that I have used in how it is tripped. This module has a switch that changes what kind of input it needs to trigger it. In the default, "off" position it requires a "coded" or pulsing voltage to trigger. These days fire code wants the panel to produce a pulsing or coded horn sound for fire alarms and a steady tone for burglar. So if your panel produces a coded output on your fire horn you should leave the switch in the off position and you can tie the purple wire to the fire horn output. If you use a programmable output relay you should put the switch in the on position as your voltage will be constant.

I hope I was able to clarify this.

Here you go, this is how I did it, same setup....
View attachment 2838

Any disadvantage to wiring the relay trigger ( which is how I view the +12v purple wire-since it is what throws the coil on thr polarity reversing relay.) As I become accustomrd to the language of security is that not implicit in hooking it to a coded output?

Your hook-up also brings up the question of there beng +12v on a programmable output relay. I would have assumed ne would have neeed to bring +12v into common to obtain +12v in your hook-up.

Thanks

Alan

View attachment 2838

Any disadvantage to wiring the relay trigger ( which is how I view the +12v purple wire-since it is what throws the coil on thr polarity reversing relay.) As I become accustomrd to the language of security is that not implicit in hooking it to a coded output?

Your hook-up also brings up the question of there beng +12v on a programmable output relay. I would have assumed ne would have neeed to bring +12v into common to obtain +12v in your hook-up.

Thanks

Alan

Output #1 on the OPII is configured as a Sounder output, which triggers the relay in the RRSMOD. I worked extensively with HAI and System Sensor to obtain the correct schematic, I have 9 smokes in the house wired to this, all work fine.

charliebarns said:
attachicon.gif
wiring2.JPG
I hooked up 2 4-WTA-B smoke detectors this way and I can't get both of them to sound at the same time. Also to get the Omnipro II to get them to sound manually I had to setup the output as a unit type of "General purpose" instead of "Sounder".
What could I be doing wrong?

russban said:
As for the purple wires, I personally think the best way to activate the reversing module is to use one of the programmable outputs. Program the output to activate when whatever zone you have the smokes on, trips.

I didn't catch this before. I didn't realize I needed to get the Omnipro to output on the purple wire when there is an alarm. I still have the "General purpose" output setting but it's working.
I modified the wiring diagram to show wiring up multiple smokes.

4wiresmokes.gif

Back