Home automation training

hockeypuck

I need a good book or CD on home automation integration. I am a licensed electrician trying to move my business into home theater and home automation. I am tech savy (have been building my own computes for 6 or 7 years now), and have installed lighting automation systems (Insteon, Lightolier PLC, and others) but have always let the security guys take over from their. I understand the security basics as well as the home theater basics. I am a little mystified on tying everything together. I did watch some of the video on the previous post. Thanks for that. When I get time I will watch the whole thing. So the first thing I have to do is settle on few brands and learn to tie them together. I am tired of just pulling wires and missing out on the fun. Any suggestions on online training or books?

Puck

I would get in touch with Martin @ AutomatedOutlet.com, he should be able to point you to some good resources, plus they offer training classes as well.

I would get in touch with Martin @ AutomatedOutlet.com, he should be able to point you to some good resources, plus they offer training classes as well.

edit: And definitely follow Spanky's advice as well, SetNet does seem to offer some really good training classes.

I also do training at my house every weekend. My class will leverage your wire pulling skills, and give you the added benefit of showing you how to plug it into something on each end.

I've currently got openings in the following areas, let me know what you want and i'll hook you up:
1) HowTo: Run 5RG6 from IVB's closet to 3 rooms, connect it to something, and crimp cleanly.
2) HowTo: Run CAT5 all over the damn house, and crimp cleanly into the network patch panel that's still sitting on my fireplace.
3) HowTo: Run CAT5 all over the damn house, and crimp cleanly into the Leviton phone distribution thingey
4) HowTo: Re-run the a/v wiring in my damn house, and connect it to the Niles 5W-48C mega distribution panel or the HTP7.1 Speaker Terminal plate.

In addition, look forward to these classes in Q1-08:
5) HowTo: Run microphone wires all over the place, and mount mics cleanly.

Act fast, spots are limited!

I also do training at my house every weekend. My class will leverage your wire pulling skills, and give you the added benefit of showing you how to plug it into something on each end.

I've currently got openings in the following areas, let me know what you want and i'll hook you up:
1) HowTo: Run 5RG6 from IVB's closet to 3 rooms, connect it to something, and crimp cleanly.
2) HowTo: Run CAT5 all over the damn house, and crimp cleanly into the network patch panel that's still sitting on my fireplace.
3) HowTo: Run CAT5 all over the damn house, and crimp cleanly into the Leviton phone distribution thingey
4) HowTo: Re-run the a/v wiring in my damn house, and connect it to the Niles 5W-48C mega distribution panel or the HTP7.1 Speaker Terminal plate.

In addition, look forward to these classes in Q1-08:
5) HowTo: Run microphone wires all over the place, and mount mics cleanly.

Act fast, spots are limited!

LOL!

I have some "training available too" jk

For all you've done for us here regarding home automation, that's not a bad trade.

I need a good book or CD on home automation integration. I am a licensed electrician trying to move my business into home theater and home automation. I am tech savy (have been building my own computes for 6 or 7 years now), and have installed lighting automation systems (Insteon, Lightolier PLC, and others) but have always let the security guys take over from their. I understand the security basics as well as the home theater basics. I am a little mystified on tying everything together. I did watch some of the video on the previous post. Thanks for that. When I get time I will watch the whole thing. So the first thing I have to do is settle on few brands and learn to tie them together. I am tired of just pulling wires and missing out on the fun. Any suggestions on online training or books?

Puck
Curious what state you are in? I am in NY and I am told that here you do not need a license to do electrical work but you must have a license to install a security camera or alarm panel. Am wondering if this is the case in other states. Do you have to get licensed to transition from electrical to security work? (I assume there is no issue with Home Theater)

In California to install cameras, home theater, etc. you need a C-7 low voltage license issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs. To install burglar alarms requires a separate license and fee from a separate agency.

Puck
Curious what state you are in? I am in NY and I am told that here you do not need a license to do electrical work but you must have a license to install a security camera or alarm panel. Am wondering if this is the case in other states. Do you have to get licensed to transition from electrical to security work? (I assume there is no issue with Home Theater)

I am in NH. No low voltage license needed. Master Electricians license needed to own an electrical contracting business. Anyone can start a security-home automation business. I am surprised that you do not need an electrical license in NY. Anyway, what I find alot in my area are the security guys coming in and replacing dimmers and such with automated devices, when they are not allowed by state law. I am not crying because they are taking work away from me, have plenty of that, my only complaint is that my license number is on that house because I had to pull a permit with the local AHJ. If anything goes wroing in a newly wired home, its coming back to me :( . Side track.

Anyways, thanks for the good ideas above. I hope I did not make any enemies with the last paragraph :p . I ordered a couple of books. Should make for some interesting reading.

Puck

Back