Home Automation Write-up

toymaster458

I am looking for some good information on what is home automation and what it can do for you. I have a builder that wants to try and sell my services with his homes and he wants some information on it so I do not need to be at every introduction meeting. Does anyone have any good sources that they have found or will to share what they put together.

"Home Automation is the art of making something really simple really complicated" --electron

;)

If you can't find anything, post again, maybe we can all submit some ideas as to how to describe it.

"Home Automation is the art of making something really simple really complicated"
--electron
LOL, It sounds like Home Automation is the same as practicing law . . .

electron said:
"Home Automation is the art of making something really simple really complicated" --electron

;)

If you can't find anything, post again, maybe we can all submit some ideas as to how to describe it.
My wife loves you...She is laughing and saying" See I told you"

She says you can flip a light switch or you can waste 30 hours on trying to get it to flip itself! That's the difference according to her...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_automation

Also Home Automation is "The process of voluntarily adding stress to your life for the purpose of trying to make ones life easier"

John

Home Automation is :
New Touch Screen - $300
New Computer - $800.00
Developing the best PC based alarm clock - Priceless.

Yikes! I'm glad you didn't ask a serious question. ;)

Just remember that most of these guys are hobbiests, and that colors their thinking. Like a boat owner (as in a hole in the water where you throw money), HA as a hobby has it's moments.

On a serious note, one way to talk about HA is to relate it to automobiles. I can't give you the exact verbage I used to use, but it is a way to make life easier and more convenient.

Twenty years ago, a lot of people would ask you "Why do I need to pay $$$$ to get power windows in my car? I can just roll the window down." Ditto with power mirrors, automatic transmittions, air conditioning, automatically dimming rearview mirrors, power seats, remote entry locks, etc. None of the above are required for the operation of the vehicle, but if you tried to sell a car today without a good portion of them, you would be laughed out of the lot. When I bought my Explorer back in 1994 (yes I've had it for a while), I had zero interest in most of those things, but since I was getting a showroom demo for a good price, who was I to complain? Now if one of the above stops working, I have a major conniption.

HA is the same way. NONE of it is necessary, but once you've had it, you'll never want to go without it in the future. Anyone who has automated their lighting will tell you that it's only a matter of weeks before you start walking into some else's house and start wondering why the $%^#$^ lights didn't come on automatically.

The one thing I can warn you about is don't use money savings as an arguement. Yes, some of the automation will save you money, but if you compare the cost of the equipment vs the savings, the payback time is usually a bit of a ways off. Stick with the comfort & convenience angle.

Great response jlehnert! I would also add the security angle, since having your lights come on randomly while on vacation, or when you pull up in your car at night is a very nice security feature. Basically, try to explain to your wife why HA is good, and if she buys it, you are all set.

Don't forget the biggest "foot in the door" is the Audio/Video aspect as well. It's a very nice feature to have the camera at the front door show up in PIP on the TV when the door bells rings or motion is sensed in the rear of the house or the gate. It's also nice to have the TV automatically mute when the phone rings so you can hear the callerID announced over the whole house audio. It's a nice feature to have the TV automatically switch to CNN or FOX when the CNN breaking news is announced over the whole house audio. It's a nice feature when the play button on the DVD player dims the lights in the room, etc., etc.

Back