Homebrew Web interface for Elk M1

elcano

Several months ago one of our fellows Cocooners published here a program to control the M1 from the web using the Serial Protocol. It was an application that he developed and made available here for download. However, now that I want to check it I use the search function, but cannot find it.

I'd appreciate if anybody can paste the link in this thread.

Thanks to the auther of the application, again.

I don't know if this is the application you were looking for but it seems to fit the bill:

M1WebProxy
"M1WebProxy, a tiny self-contained HTTPS web server that allows (very) simple web-based access to the Elk M1 via an XEP ethernet expander"
http://www.bitsmith.com/people/walendo/m1wp/

I plan to try it because I have several low-power Internet Appliances (3COM Audrey, Compaq IA-1, Salton ePods) equipped with web browsers. They do not have Java Virtual Machines so they are incapable of supporting the XEP's virtual keypad. They use QNX/Linux/WinCE therefore they do not support the .NET Framework and cannot run ELK RM.

I wanted to develop my own application to provide a lightweight web-interface and then I discovered your posting and that led me to Google "M1 Web interface". Unfortunately, the author has not posted an updated version since July 2006 and there is no source code that would permit others to enhance the application.

UPDATE:

M1WebProxy works as described on Alan Walendowski's web page.

In the PREFS file I updated the IP Address to match my M1 XEP. Executing RUN.BAT starts the web proxy server and connects to the M1. Using a 3COM Audrey (no Java, no MS Windows, no .NET Framework) I pointed its browser to the proxy address and ta-dah I was prompted to enter my M1 username.

The proxy server talks to the M1 via port 2101 (unencrypted) but uses encrypted communications to talk to your browser. That causes a little hiccup because the supplied certificate does not match the host PC's name and your browser will complain. The supplied instructions indicate there is a way to generate a new certificate to suit one's environment. I'm investigating how to do this and I'll report back with my results.

This is a very handy application that lets you inspect the state of your M1 (and turn lights on/off) using nothing more than a very basic web-browser (i.e. no need for the Java Runtime Environment nor the .NET Framework). I imagine it would work with a cell phone equipped with a web-browser.

Back