Homeseer and Sonos

upstatemike

In reading the Homeseer board it looks like there was a Sonos plugin that worked really great under HS 1.7 It also looks like it does not work under HS 2.x and there is not much in the way of updates on the board as to when/if it ever will.

Does anybody know what the real status of the Sonos plugin is? Anybody have experience using Sonos to do whole-house or zoned announcements from Homeseer?

I have Sonos, and am using the plugin. It does work with 2.1, I am running the latest release of HS and no problems. The script works very well. There are some limitations. You cannot select music source. You cannot select what music to play. You can control volume and muting on zones. You can link and unlink zones. You can issue play, pause and stop commands on a per zone pasis. You can control audio output from HS to all zones or particular zones. All in all for a free plugin I am happy.

This is good to hear! I wonder why reading the Homeseer board I always get the impression that things don't work? TBG asked for an update on the plugin on September 12 implying that at that point nothing was working. I don't see where he ever got a reply!

So if I use Sonos for zoned Homeseer announcements, what happens when the zone player in that zone is off? Will homeseer turn it on for the announcement and then turn it off again?

I am also planning to use loop relays to detect when a phone goes off hook in a particular area and then mute or pause the player in that room if it is playing. Any reason this would not work?

Also not sure I understand one thing you said.. You can select play but you cannot select what music to play... So when you select play what actually happens?

Keep in mind that Sonos is always on. When there is no music playing it shuts down the amp for low power consumption. When you issue the play command you start whatever music source was previously selected. You can do what you asked with reguard to controlling Sonos for announcements. Muting or activating zones for announcements. You should download the files and read the doc file that it comes with.

Hey upstatemike, I know this is about Homeseer and Sonos; but I just noticed a thread over on the HouseBot forum when some guys have/are working on Sonos integration. I didn't pay a lot attention to it since I don't have Sonos, but here's the link if you're interested.

Terry

roussell said:
Hey upstatemike, I know this is about Homeseer and Sonos; but I just noticed a thread over on the HouseBot forum when some guys have/are working on Sonos integration. I didn't pay a lot attention to it since I don't have Sonos, but here's the link if you're interested.

Terry
Terry-

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look and see what they have.

USM

Back