Honeywell Structured Wiring Enclosures

Swancoat

Does anyone have any experience with Honeywell structured wiring enclosures?

I'm currently having a home built, and the builder insists any wiring that happens be done by their wiring sub (as opposed to me). The Wiring Sub wrote up a proposal with all of my requests on it - one of which was for a couple of empty cans to be used as tel/cable demarc, and another as the home run for all of the Cat6 runs.

Anyway, on his proposal, it specifies Honeywell cans. I did a few searches (Pics of these things are somewhat hard to come by) and I'm concerned by the 'holes' or fastening system along the back of the can.

Pics of Honeywell Cans

Anyway, from most of what I've seen on this site and others, structured wiring enclosures usually have a fastening system that looks like a few vertical rows of round holes (instead of these stupid slots). I'm assuming nothing I get to put into one of these Honeywell things will fit correctly. Can anyone verify this? Are these enclosures largely standardized? Or am I mistaken, and each manufacturer has their own set of crazy standards?

Any help or clarity on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you are correct, Honeywell cans have a different mounting system than others. If you know what kind on modules you will be using you may want to tell the wiring sub to use that brand can. Most of the others I have seen, (ELK, Leviton, etc.) seem to all use the same system of holes and are compatible.

I didn't see a hinged cover on the Honeywell page you referenced. A hinged cover is nice if you are frequently accessing your equipment. Regardless, I'm not sure that brand makes that much of a difference in an enclosure. Even with my Leviton enclosures, I still had to drill to mount my Elk equipment. The most important thing is that you have plenty of space to mount your devices. Take what volume you think you need and then double it. Not only do you need space for the equipment, but also you need space for wire management.

Even with my Leviton enclosures, I still had to drill to mount my Elk equipment.

Ahhh, that's good to hear. I assumed there was some 'standard' that Honeywell was deviating from. Now it seems that everyone has their own. That will work out fine.

Regarding the hinged cover... I'm not planning on accessing it too often once it's up and running, so the regular cover SHOULD be ok. These words may come back to bite me however.

As far as size goes... I've been lurking here long enough to realize that the incremental cost is pretty cheap given the flexibility, so the installer is going to drop in 2 48" cans. I figure that should leave me in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the replies.

You might also want to investigate what enclosures you future potential vendors stock or use. This depends what you plan on putting into the cans. For example, Home depot ( and my local electric supply house) stocks Leviton structured wiring.

Even with my Leviton enclosures, I still had to drill to mount my Elk equipment.

Ahhh, that's good to hear. I assumed there was some 'standard' that Honeywell was deviating from. Now it seems that everyone has their own. That will work out fine.

Regarding the hinged cover... I'm not planning on accessing it too often once it's up and running, so the regular cover SHOULD be ok. These words may come back to bite me however.

As far as size goes... I've been lurking here long enough to realize that the incremental cost is pretty cheap given the flexibility, so the installer is going to drop in 2 48" cans. I figure that should leave me in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the replies.
Channel Vision and Leviton are pretty compatible with each other and they are very different than Honeywell. I agree more with russban in that if you have an idea what system and modules you will be using you should match the can. I doubt that Honeywell's line of products is anywhere close to that of Channel Vision and Leviton so for that reason alone I would spec a CV or Leviton can. As far as the comment about Elk - the controller itself is an odd side and will not fit on anybody's mounting system directly. HAI's controller is available on a backplate that will fit CV and Leviton, it wont go into the Honeywell. Some people even put the Elk controller on the HAI backplate. Elk also has universal brackets that fit into CV and Leviton but not Honeywell. Bottom line is that unless you plan on a totally Honeywell proprietary system you will be better off with a CV or Leviton can.

Thanks Steve. I'll tell the installer I'd rather go with a Leviton Can (I assume these things are all similarly priced...)

stick with the channevision cans... anything leviton will fit in them...but not the other way around..only things that don't fit are OnQ modules, but they don't fit in Leviton either and need their own OnQ enclosure type...or you drill some extra holes like i did...

The Elk will come out of it's black case..if you do that you can just screw the black backplane into the can (wouldn't be easily removable, but it shouldn't be needed). Then you pop the board back in and the cover over it..just make sure you don't use screws with big heads since you don't want the screw head touching the elk circuit board and short it out.

I've spent some time looking into this...Channelvision enclosure is definitely the way to go. Only downside is the shipping since your local HomeDepot doesn't have them.

And as other said.. definitely get a can about twice the size of what you think you need.

Back