Hong Kong Electronics Show

Spanky

I just returned from the Hong Kong Electronics show spring edition. There were really two shows, one at the airport and one at the convention center. Several thousand exhibitors. The attendance was noticibly down from previous shows.

If it was involved with electronics, it was probably at the show. LCD displays are going into everything.

Security cameras took up a big section. Not much home automation except for a few DIY basic systems that would not work in the US.
iPhone peripherials were a big topic with all kinds of new gadgets coming out.

Overall it was a good show.

I'm guessing you returned home with a big list of to-do's.

I wish you could share it. B)

Cameras, cameras, cameras. What direction will Elk take? :lol:

what was the neatest thing you saw at the show(s)?
Anything stand out?

Additional comments:

The new UMPC's caught my eye due to the cost is really coming down.

IP cameras are tending to the H.264 protocol which takes more processing power to display the image over MJPEG.

The newest addition was replacement LED light tubes to replace florescent tubes in up to 4 foot lengths. They are still pricey however. There were large selections of replacement LED lights to replace standard bulbs. Lots of LED light strips for undercounter lighting.

Full feature, communicating, touchscreen thermostat was very impressive.

Cell phones galore. Technology we will never see due to the PTCRB testing requirement to be used on the US cellular network. The rest of the world does not have such monopolistic testing requirements and gets some really high tech cell phones.

Beautiful silk scarfs for $1.50 was the best bargain found during the trip.

Food: Thank God for McDonald's on every block!

Oh, man! You'd eat McD's over REAL Chinese food?!

So...the M2 will have more processing power, to accomodate the H.264 protocol? :)

Where's your sense of adventure? Variety is the spice of life. :)

pork-brains.JPG

Back