How do I keep bricking my HAI UPB Relay switch?

broconne

This is the second one that I have bricked, in the same location over about 3 years.  At this point no LED, can't control it with UPB or the paddle.  They oddly don't seem to die during usage, but at some later time.

I am using the HAI UPB Relay switch to control my fireplace.  I have it hooked up to a functional devices Relay in a Box. I just need to close the contact for the fireplace to turn on and open it for the fireplace to turn off.  The relay in a box I am using is the RIBU1C - wiring diagram is https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIBU1C.pdf

I have it wired like this:

From UPB Relay switch -> RIBU1C:
Red (Load) -> White/Black (120v)
White (Neutral) -> House Neutral + White/Yellow (Common)
Ground -> House ground + Screw on plastic box in the basement where RIBU1C is.  RIBU1C doesn't appear to have a ground? 

RIBUIC -> Fireplace
Yellow -> One conductor of fireplace wire
Orange -> Other conductor of fireplace wire

I don't see anything wrong w/ that wiring? A little concerned about a lack of ground - but RIBU1C doesn't have a ground.  RIBUIC is 10amp, my UPB relay is 15 amp. I am not sure how exactly relays like this work - but I can't imagine its drawing 15 or 10 amps of power to just close the contact?  Is my relay potentially bad?  

It's unlikely that the RIB relay is damaging the switch.  The UPB switch is designed to handle fairly heavy loads, including inductive ones, such as motors.  The RIB relay is a very small inductive load, and the switch should be more than adequate to handle it.

It may be that you're just unlucky enough to have run into a couple of bad switches, or that the switch is being damaged by power surges coming from somewhere else.  Do you have a whole house surge protector installed?

I do have a whole house surge installed. Additionally, I have a relay on the same circuit, right next to it (for the fireplace blower) that has not had any issues.

It just seems peculiar that to of these relays have broken and none of my 10 others have had an issue.

If the wiring seems ok, I might try to replace the RIB while I replace the upb relay.

Back