Imaginative uses for DS10A sensors

Quixote said:
So you're saying this could be a software thing rather than hardware? I guess I'll have to talk to the guys at Promixis and see what they have to say about it.
Not sure. I just opened up my W800 plugin setup menu and saw this item in it and thought it "may" be a source to look into.

I have no idea how Girder interfaces with the W800 as I don't use it.

Unless you are close to being out of range with those sensors, I can't see why this would be happening. I use these sensors as well, and have never seen such a problem. The debounce value is just a software based setting which tells the software how long to skip the duplicate signals (can't think of a better explanation right now), it doesn't change the W800RF32 behavior itself.

Well, I do have an anti-repeat setting with Girder for events as well. The range should not be a problem since they are all relatively close. I'm starting to think that maybe the adapter I used for the W800 could be the problem. I had no serial ports left, so I used an adapter to switch it to USB. Also, I guess it could be interference. I think I will try different positioning of the antenna while I'm trying to fix this problem. Thanks.

my wgl800 didn't work very well on my edgeport usb to serial converter. i moved it back to the serial port on my mobo.

I'll try switching my CM11a onto the adapter instead. (yes, I'm still in the ice ages here - waiting to update to Insteon until everything is perfectly stable).

I have had a problem with people climbing over my back yard fence. I'm trying to hash out a new idea for detecting when someone climbs over the backyard fence. I've tried motion detectors, but birds and squirrels and my dogs keep setting it off.

Do you guys think this plan will work?

I want to install lag eye screws like these at the top of all the fence posts, and run string or fishing line through it.

I'll then attach the end of the string to the DS10a magnetic contact and mount the other part to the fence. Hopefully when someone grabs the top of the fence to pull their weight over, the string will get pulled and the magnetic contact will pull away from the sensor. Would that work?

Its going to have to be fairly stong string that doesn't stretch over time.

It would have to have a weight at the end of it, and tension that is stronger than the weight of a bird or squirrel.

Tonight I wanted to monitor my a/c compressor and how often it was cycling.

Except the a/c wiring and compressor was not anywhere I could easily run a wire.

I found in my junk drawer a DS10 and a CR Magnetics cr9321-lc-npn current switch and a DS10.

Pulled off the DS10 magnets and tested, 5 minutes later I had a RF battery operated Current detector.

So far it seems to run great, I can suddenly see more possibilities..

;)

StevenE

I used one with Homeseer to tell me when the littermaid box is full

mounting.jpg

contact-spacing.jpg

Once again, late to the party.....

I want to use the DS10a to monitor whether my Air Conditioner is on at home. I would then like to take it a step farther and Have homeseer tell me home long in a given day the thing runs.

IE: One unit ($5 for example) would say running / not running
another virtual device (z1) would say 4:35 run time today
z2 00:00 total runtime yesterday
z3 00:00 total runtime this month
z4 00:00 total runtime this year

Unfortunately my programming skills are really weak. Can someone point me in the right direction??

Thanks

The DS10A will need a way to interface to your HVAC system, which is probably 24VAC. Since 24VAC relays are not available at Radio Shack, you will probably have to mail order. I suggest the RIBU1C. http://www.functionaldevices.com/ChartPilot.html http://www.dynacononline.com/ribu1c.htm

My neat trick is to use a DS10A on my BBQ grill with a little bi-metallic temp sensor, I believe it was somewhere around 130-160 degrees F. I have it announce when the grill is on and it will remind me after it has been on a while (ie too long). Similar to http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item...RISE_110C_.html

That I have figured out.. Poor man's "sail switch" (cardboard attached to air filter with magnetic switch at the bottom). Hardware is the easy part for me. Software programming is my weak point.

Thanks.

Back