Induction cooktop and PLC systems

tufenhundel

I am about to get an induction cooktop, but need to know if it will interfere with my to be installed PLC system (X10, Insteon). Anyone using both? I am only concerned because the cooktop has a coil that can consume as much as 32kW, and it's an inductive load.

Don't know, but enjoy your cooktop. My wife wanted one, and we saw one demonstrated, but Viking didn't offer an induction/gas combo. So she chose gas.

But it was really neat the way it works.

When X10 is not working properly to a switch and may need a power line coupler, one test was to turn on the electric range or oven. If the X10 starts working you need a phase coupler. The electric range or stove passed the signal from one phase of the AC line to the other phase of the AC line.

Have not heard of any problems with induction ranges. Light dimmers can cause a lot of noise.

My cooktop is the only device in my house that puts noise out and interferes with UPB. I don't think it is so much the load, but the electronics. To be sure why don't you get a noise meter and go to a store where they have them hooked up? Well, I guess it will be hard to isolate the cooktop but you may get an idea. Worst case though you can always put a filter on it.

Steve said:
My cooktop is the only device in my house that puts noise out and interferes with UPB. I don't think it is so much the load, but the electronics. To be sure why don't you get a noise meter and go to a store where they have them hooked up? Well, I guess it will be hard to isolate the cooktop but you may get an idea. Worst case though you can always put a filter on it.

It'll be difficult to test this unit, as it will be coming from New Zealand. But if there is a work-around like a filter, then that'll work for me. Thanks.

Tufen,

Did I read correctly that you said this cooktop would consume up to 32KW? That is over twice the amount of my home heating system! Sounds like an expensive way to cook! ;)

And you'll need new pots and pans for it too...

Depending on the current, you will most likely have to parallel some filters together.

Do those things run off 110 or 220? Do they make 220 filters? If it's 110, how much power does it draw? I think the largest filter is 15amps.

jrfuda said:
Do those things run off 110 or 220? Do they make 220 filters? If it's 110, how much power does it draw? I think the largest filter is 15amps.
I bet it is 220. But dont worry. You just need one 110 filter in each circuit (two 110 circuit make a 220).

The Consumer Reports for 2006 have an article about induction cooktops. They have anice picture of hald an iron pan (yes, a semicircle) on top of the cooking element and a bar of butter on top of it with half of the bar inside the pan and the other half placed directly on top of the cooking element.

The half that was in the pan was melting, while the half on the cooking element was perfectly solid.

They said that those cooktops are the fastest to heat. Almost instantly. I cannot believe that it uses 32kW continuous. Probably it is peak.

But the price is sky high. I think that they ranged between $1600 and $3000.

Well I think SAI made some 220V filters after seeing the noise on my cooktop. I have not seen them yet but I was told they are coming and would need to parallel a few to handle the 40A peak current.

HoustonFirefox said:
Tufen,

Did I read correctly that you said this cooktop would consume up to 32KW? That is over twice the amount of my home heating system! Sounds like an expensive way to cook! ;)

My boo-boo. I was off by a decimal point. That would be 3.2kW. I am investigating Z-Wave now after reading some of the posts here. I was RF adverse, but I am getting over it now.

pjwinstalls said:
What brand, model is that cooktop your getting......just curious!

De Dietrich 309X from some French-Spanish conglomerate. It is more powerful than anything I could get stateside, and cheaper, even with shipping et al. I am actually buying from a dealer in New Zealand. I can actually get it for less (say around $1800 US) if I order from England, but there'd be no warranty. If Customs damages it, I'd be stuck with it.

Back