• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Installation of ELK TS-07 Touchscreen

Spanky

This weekend I installed an ELK TS-07 Touchscreen in my house. I though you might like to see how things went. Excuse some of the blurry pictures, but I was going fast.

First thing was to take down the ELK M1KP keypad. I planned on moving that keypad to the other side of the wall.

KP1Gone.jpg

The included template made it easy to mark off the wall opening and locate where to [drill in the four corners to prepare to saw out the hole.

DrawTemplate.jpg

The next task was to cut the hole in the sheetrock wall.

SawingHole.jpg

As I was cutting out the hole I realized that there was a wooden stud behind the opening that I was cutting, but that is were the touchscreen was going so I proceeded.

HoleInWall.jpg

I had to cut the stud about 3/4 of an inch.

StudCut.jpg

Then I used a chisel to take out the piece of wood.

ChiselingStud.jpg

As my luck was going the power cord hit squarely into the stud so I had to notch out an additional 5/8 inch slot for the power cord.

SideWPowerandStudCut.jpg

I had planned to use power over ethernet and buy a POE injector from Radio Shack. Well Radio Shack was out of the POE injectors so I said heck with it, I will make my own connector. It used pins 1,2,3,6 on the ethernet plug for ethernet data and the other two pair I brough out for power to the Touchscreen. I cut the power supply wire and soldered the end to the two extra pairs. One pair - +12VDC, the other pair - negative. I used the two conductors to reduce voltage drop along the CAT5 wire.

TSPowerConnector.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ELK TS-07 not mounted.
Front View:
TSNotMountedFront.jpg

Back View:
TSNotMountedBack.jpg

Side View:
TSNotMountedSide.jpg

Back Label:
TSBackLabel.jpg

Plastic Bezel Removed:
TSFrontPlate.jpg

After mounting in the wall with two flippers that fold out to grap the sheetrock from behind as you tighten the screws, I removed the plastic protective sheet from the LCD display.
TSPealOffPlastic.jpg

I was testing some new Touchscreen software that has IP camera and image capture capability. My wife wanted to keep the Weather Channel Weather Maps showing most of the time, so I programmed the weather maps to show.

TSWeatherPage.jpg

The stud in the wall and not being able to get a Power Over Ethernet injector turned a two hour job into a 4 hour job, but everything worked out great.

My wife loves it!!!