Installation Woes with two-way wireless transmitter

kayakerinme

I need some advice on how to diagnose my problem with a new system.

Several months ago, at the start of the build for my new house I got an Elk M1 Gold kit including a 2-way transmitter and keyboard and a number of sensors.

In order to test everything and be sure I was ready, I got the system set up on a board in my apartment. This included a 2-way transmitter in the middle and the keypad at the end of the run. So far so good, and I got 2 door sensors going on it as well. After a couple of weeks of playing, I shut it down and dismantled the system.

Now comes a few months later. I have the same Elk now installed in its final home, the same keypad now in its home, and where is the 2-way transmitter? Not to be found; believed thrown out with some boxes. I order another one (much to my chagrin) and install that in its location. I did change the configuration with this to homerun both the keypad and transmitter back to the Elk, and jumper terminated both.

System powers on, except no status led - manual indicates no power. Hmmm... enrolling does not work either. In fact, at one point it told me the wireless transmitter enrollment was not valid.

Test all the wires; wires are great. Hmmm...

Redo the wiring to make it like it was in prototype mode at the apartment with the transmitter in the middle and the keypad at the end of the run. Using Cat6, wire the orange/green/brown/blue of the transmitter to the red/green/white/black of the Elk board, respectively. At the transmitter, wire the orange/white pair together and set as red; green/white to green; brown/white to white; blue/white to black. At the Elk, set the whites of the transmitter to the colored of the keypad, and the keypad remains the same. Removed the jumper on transmitter.

Powered up and the keypad is happy as a clam. Still no status light on the transmitter. Enrollment only finds keypad.

Very sad. What am I missing with this set up? Is there something goofy because the transmitter unit was changed (new one still as data bus #2)?

Help!

Thanks, Barry

If I follow your wiring description, it sounds like in your recreation of the bench test, you have the M1XRFTW as the first device in the daisy chain, and the keypad as the last device.  Correct?

Since you have one terminating jumper installed on the keypad, and none on the transmitter, did you install a second jumper on JP3 on the M1?

That wouldn't explain why the status LED doesn't light up on the XRFTW.  So check your wiring with a multimeter and make sure you have the polarity correct.  Then check to see if you can measure 12V on the board itself. 

You could also just try connecting it directly up to 12V by itself to see if you can get the status LED to indicate that it has power.

Also use the multimeter to check that Data A on the M1 is connected to Data A on the XRFTW, and then do the same with Data B.

After that, it's always possible you have a bad board.

<sheepishly> Red Green, White, Black
Red, Green, White, Black
Red, Green, White, Black

Except on the two-way transwmitter
Black, White, Green, Red

Damn.

kayakerinme said:
<sheepishly> Red Green, White, Black
Red, Green, White, Black
Red, Green, White, Black

Except on the two-way transwmitter
Black, White, Green, Red

Damn.

I think we all know that feeling.  Something like that has probably happened to everyone at some point.

Once you reversed the connections to the XRFTW, did it show signs of life?

RAL said:
I think we all know that feeling.  Something like that has probably happened to everyone at some point.

Once you reversed the connections to the XRFTW, did it show signs of life?

It did indeed.

Back