Insteon bathroom fans?

Mike

I was trying to find the thread that had it, but Insteon bathroom fans were apparently being demo'd.

I was in the shower looking at my own Broan fan, and it occurred to me: Why would you need an insteon version of this? Isn't a bathroom fan typically controlled by a switch to begin with (which begs the question, why not just use an insteon switch)?

The only possible thing I could think of was to treat it like an inline switch and simplify switches (or use keypads) in the bathroom (or fully automate it based on humidity). This seemed like a stretch (but perhaps not).

Smoke detectors made sense, if they are wire-in or rf you can get the benefit of what Steve and I have been playing with without reversing relays and the like...

Am I missing something? (I am not saying Insteon items should not be developed, was just trying to understand the thought process on this one).

Actually one more possibility: Fans now can have multiple functions (light, fan, heat) maybe the keypad is the thought to avoid 4-gang bathroom installations.

Mike;

I saw the Insteon fans being displayed at CES. See THIS post for pics.

The way it was explained to me is there are new or are going to be new standards for reticulating air in homes. These fans can help with that as I believe there are some "smarts" to them. They can be programmed to keep track of the air flow desired during the day and can automatically turn on in order to accomplish this.

They can also keep track of when a room (say bathroom) is occupied based on it's Insteon light turning ON and OFF and refresh the room a set time based on that as well.

Sorry for being vague, but this was a very quick explanation and I may not have all the facts straight.

Hopefully Smarthome John can clarify and add to these statements. I will also try to relisten to the audio I recorded of him explaining this to me when I get a chance.

Regards,

BSR

Thanks. And now I see why I didn't find the post I was looking in articles not reviews (missed that category).

Interesting concept. Makes a lot of sense. I put an Insteon switch on my attic fan in the hopes of eventually doing something similar (if I understand the rough concept) with software later (one day the infrastructure will be in place...).

Mike,

I like the convenience of the bath fan being automated as it will stay on after you leave the shower.

I use one of the X10 waterproof motion detectors mounted about 6" under and to the right of the shower head.

This way it catches anyone who steps into the shower and if you move the shower curtain slightly when on the throne it will turn the bath fan on as well.

It runs for an extra 5 minutes which assists in getting rid of the humidity.

Neil

nsisman said:
if you move the shower curtain slightly when on the throne it will turn the bath fan on as well.

Neil
Humidity... is THAT what you call it! :lol:

nsisman said:
Mike,

I like the convenience of the bath fan being automated as it will stay on after you leave the shower.

I use one of the X10 waterproof motion detectors mounted about 6" under and to the right of the shower head.

This way it catches anyone who steps into the shower and if you move the shower curtain slightly when on the throne it will turn the bath fan on as well.

Neil
Definitely agree there. I have a simpler setup at the moment (a switchlinc v1 timer on 15 minute increments). Of course you tap it a few times when taking a shower, it addressed the need at the time without worrying about researching a reliable more elegant solution.

Makes sense, and knowing when someone is in the room is much better.

I wanted to give you a little more information about the Insteon enabled Broan bath fans.

It is a concept being developed by Broan to have fans in the home work as a system. To meet new building code requirements for number of air changes in the home, it is required to ventilate "X" amount of air out of the home every three hours. Systems are available that allow for the "X" amount to be ventilated, but every use of the bath fan is excess ventilation that is wasted energy.

This system calculates the number of air changes required in the home by the parameters entered during set-up. The fans communicate with each other their air flow rate and whether they are on or off. The system monitors normal(manual) usage over the code required 3 hour period. At the approach of the end of the three hour period, the fan system will sequentially operate the fans using Insteon communication to provide the remaining ventilation that is required.

100% of recommended ventilation, zero wasted energy.

Back