Insteon Beta Software For M1/EZ8

Spanky

Elk Products, Inc. announces the Beta Test Software Release for Insteon Lighting Control.

Interested parties that would like to Beta Test the Insteon software for the M1/EZ8 Automation Control should email [email protected] and you will be emailed the M1XSP Serial Port Expander software and documentation for Insteon Lighting Control.

To Beta Test the Insteon Software you will need:
* M1 or M1EZ8 Automation Control.
* M1XSP Serial Port Expander Hardware.
* Beta Test M1XSP Insteon Software Version 50.0.15, emailed from ELK.
* Insteon Software for M1 Documentation, emailed from ELK.
* Smarthome Insteon Powerlinc Version 2 Serial Interface Model 2414S, running
Firmware Version 2.12, and running Insteon SALad software - Timer Core Application.
* Insteon Light Switches of your choice.
* ELKRP Upload/Download Software for the M1/EZ8 that runs on a PC with a serial port.

The Insteon Software that goes into the M1XSP Serial Port Expander is an alternate software download from the factory supplied M1XSP software.

Elk Products would like to get feed back of your experiences by February 1, 2006.

Legal Notice: The Insteon Software for the M1/EZ8 is fully operational Beta Test Software. Being it is Beta software there can be problems or "bugs" in the software that could affect the operation of the M1/EZ8 System. This software should only be used for evaluation purposes.

This is great news! I've already ordered the expander and controller in anticipation of the update. Now I just need to stay focused and work out the reversing relay issue in the meantime before getting distracted on Insteon...

Seeing as I'm sure we're all excited I wanted to pass along my experience with the Insteon integration.

I've had a great opportunity to have the system in action at my home and have been loving it. I currently using 15 Insteon switchlinc dimmers and relays as well as a couple appliancelinc module (lots more bring ordered now). Accuracy has been 100% and I have 2way communication working.

Elk is still working on complete integration of scenes but I have a basic all on/off working as well.

My key experience is that the make or break part of the system is the Smarthome Controlinc 2414s. Unless you have a model labeled "rev1.6" with 2.12 firmware (all rev 1.6 have 2.12 firmware) contact Smarthome and look into a replacement. The new firmware goes a long ways to making setup easier and stable.

Way to go ELK!

If I manualy add an INSTEON address to the M1 will it automaticly create a link between the M1 and the INSTEON device or would I still need to link the device with the PowerLinc?

After I do the Programming and Linking Procedure and decide I want device 10 at 20 and device 20 at 10, can I change those around or am I stuck in the order that they are entered?

The M1 does not track dim status but will the polling get the dim level?

SpaceCowboy said:
Accuracy has been 100% and I have 2way communication working.
Wow... 2-way! Really???

I've played around with Insteon and the HomeSeer Beta plug-in but was discouraged when I found out that 2-way capablility was not included at this time. It was touted as being "difficult to implement" due to the technology.

So if you turn an Insteon switch on or off locally at the switch, your Elk M1 sees the status change? Is this immediate, or done by occasional polling?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, from Page 4 of the doc above:

IMPORTANT: With the PowerLinc firmware version 2.12, and the SALad program “timerCoreApp†installed, the ELK-M1XSP can receive the status from an Insteon device when the User turns the load on or off. The ELK-M1 can track on and off states changed by the User. The status when a device is changed by the User to a level other than on or off (ex. 55%) is not reported to the ELK-M1XSP. The ELK-M1 can not track dim states changed by the User.
In order for on or off status tracking to be enabled the LampLinc or SwitchLinc device must have the Powerlinc’s Address linked into their database.
2 way for on/off, not dim. Also can poll.

Steve,

Thanks! I've been overwhelmed at work (16+ hrs yesterday and just arrived home this evening) so didn't get to the fine print yet.

I made the incorrect assumption that 2-way wouldn't be feasible yet so was pleasantly suprised when it was mentioned.

Elk keeps adding great features!

Cheers,
Paul

SpaceCowboy said:
My key experience is that the make or break part of the system is the Smarthome Controlinc 2414s. Unless you have a model labeled "rev1.6" with 2.12 firmware (all rev 1.6 have 2.12 firmware) contact Smarthome and look into a replacement. The new firmware goes a long ways to making setup easier and stable.

Way to go ELK!
Hmm, I just ordered one. Anyone have experience with swapping them in this fashion? It makes sense to support it, just first I thought about it (earlier examples were switchlinc dimmers v2.0 failing outright).

How much of the "secret sauce" is in the XSP and how much is in the PowerLinc? If I have to replace the XSP, do I lose everything? Based upon my knowledge of linking, at this time, if you have to replace the PowerLinc in ANY installation (not just Elk), you have to start all over and relearn your linking.

Are there plans in the future to allow you to control the device naming/numbering? The idea of numbering (A1, A2, etc) them in the order linked sounds painful to do a structured or preplanned system. Random devices is as bad as random rules. :unsure:

I will jump on this as soon as I can swap my PowerLinc, I have 1.4 and need 1.6.

Insteon implimentation for Elk is an evolutionary product. As you guys find your likes and dislikes, let us know and we will try to react to them.

As Don mentioned above, if you change to a dim level from a wall switch, the Insteon switch is not telling the M1 of the dim level change. The Insteon switch does tell the M1 about an On or Off change. I would like to think that Insteon will fix this in the future.

Currently, a Zwave switch will not send to the M1 any switch changes, On, Off, or Dim. Zwave and its partners are working to correct this problem also.

My understanding is that you can back up and restore the link database through serial/USB commands, so you should be able to replace a bad PowerLinc with a new one and then download your particular device configuration to it. Can anyone confirm this?

toymaster458 said:
If I manualy add an INSTEON address to the M1 will it automaticly create a link between the M1 and the INSTEON device or would I still need to link the device with the PowerLinc?

After I do the Programming and Linking Procedure and decide I want device 10 at 20 and device 20 at 10, can I change those around or am I stuck in the order that they are entered?

The M1 does not track dim status but will the polling get the dim level?
The link is made to the Controlinc. The Controlinc is passing the received address to the XSP. The XSP is then aware of Insteon addresses and can issue them thru the Controlinc.

I'm not aware of a way to manually add the Insteon addresses to the XSP except thru a linking procedure.

There currently isn't a way to switch the position of a Insteon addressed device although I know it's been suggested to Elk.

As stated above also, the "tracking" feature is for on/off only. If you want to track the dim status you'll need to poll. In my reading around Insteon, there is quite a bit of talk around the 2414s not working correctly if it is generating too much traffic (ie: frequent polling). Smarthome I imagine is watching this and trying to correct accordingly.

Back