Insteon dead links - how to get rid of them

johnnynine

Active Member
When I first received my insteon modules, I did a lot of playing around, and I think I might have several dead links (or something) going on.

When I watch the LED on my ControlLinc after pressing a switch I can see the LED flash several time. For most switches it just flashes once I believe. But for some others it flashes 6 or so times. Is there an easy "free" way for me to figure out what is going on, or reset things?

Then again... I wonder if my dead SwitchLinc is causing retrys and that is what I am seeing?
 

KenM

Active Member
Hi,

You can do a 'factory reset', on your controlLink. This will erase the controlLink but not the linked devices so it is also saner to 'factory reset' on any device linked and then re-link. That is a pain.

I cut my ties with the Insteon SDK outfit a little over a week ago so my info may be a little dated. I know of no way to fix something like this with software. If there was it would take a long time, I'm talking tens of minutes for a large installation. On mine, with a controlLink and six test devices, it takes over five minutes to clear out all of the link records (average three links per device) with the -191 SDM.

From my own experience, the flashing red lights on the controlLink means it is sending,sending,sending... but getting no response (a broken link).

But you probably knew that already.

Ken
 

johnnynine

Active Member
I was afraid of that but I only have 10 or so devices so it's not the end of the work if I reset them all.

I have been reading your Insteon/Z-Wave thread and will be very interested in your conclusions.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
If you have PowerHome you can just use the "rebuild device" option to clean up any dead links in the device database.
 

fitzpatri8

Active Member
The easiest "non-free" way is to use the new Houselinc software. It'll let you see, add and delete all the links from your controller, then re-write just the ones you want.

The easiest "free" way is to do a factory reset on the one controller button (not the entire controller, not any of the responders, just that one controller button), then relink the devices that ought to be attached.

The whole problem (not that under 2 seconds of flashing light is really a "problem") can be avoided by removing both links before factory-resetting a responder device.

Tom
 

jhimmel

Member
fitzpatri8 said:
The easiest "non-free" way is to use the new Houselinc software. It'll let you see, add and delete all the links from your controller, then re-write just the ones you want.

The easiest "free" way is to do a factory reset on the one controller button (not the entire controller, not any of the responders, just that one controller button), then relink the devices that ought to be attached.

The whole problem (not that under 2 seconds of flashing light is really a "problem") can be avoided by removing both links before factory-resetting a responder device.

Tom
The whole problem (not that under 2 seconds of flashing light is really a "problem") can be avoided by removing both links before factory-resetting a responder device.

That only works if the device it was linked to did not die and need to be replaced.
I had a Keypadlinc that died and had tons of links to it. I could not unlink from a dead switch, and had to reset everything that was linked to it. Real pain.

Jim H.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
jhimmel said:
That only works if the device it was linked to did not die and need to be replaced.
I had a Keypadlinc that died and had tons of links to it. I could not unlink from a dead switch, and had to reset everything that was linked to it. Real pain.

Jim H.
Jim-

With PowerHome you would just use the replace function. PowerHome will not only put the original links from the dead keypadlink into the new one, it will go to every device that was linked to the dead keypadlinc and replace the bad links with new links to the replacement keypadlinc. Takes about 4 seconds to set up then just let it run for awhile until everything is fixed.
 

BLH

Active Member
I am using KenM's InHomeFree. If I remove a module from the system and do a poll all modules. Unfound ones do slow things down as you have seen. Retries seems to be the thing.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
I would download the 30 day free trial of PowerHome. You can fix all your link problems with it during the trial and you may een like it enough that you decide to buy it.
 

johnnynine

Active Member
upstatemike said:
I would download the 39 day free trial of PowerHome. You can fix all your link problems with it during the trial and you may een like it enough that you decide to buy it.
I couldn't get power home to work properly with my plc the last time I tried it. Perhaps I will give it another try when I have a few hours to kill.
 

johnnynine

Active Member
How do I get powerhome to delete links?

I have given powerhome another try and it looks like I finally got it to find all my devices and links.

I right click on a link, select "Delete From Devices" and according to the documentation things should automatically get removed. (Unless I am reading it wrong). But nothing seems to happen. If I hit F5, immediately or even wait an hour, the "flagged delete" status goes back to "verified".

I am using powerhome 1.03.4.7. However I think I may have seen some posts where there were multiple releases of this version? Seems like the numbers would indicate this though?
 

WayneW

Senior Member
johnnynine said:
I right click on a link, select "Delete From Devices" and according to the documentation things should automatically get removed. (Unless I am reading it wrong). But nothing seems to happen. If I hit F5, immediately or even wait an hour, the "flagged delete" status goes back to "verified".
That should be the right process. You can also right click and select "Create/Edit/Clone". Then select the controller you want to edit in the "group master" drop down. then select the "group number", only "1" for switches, more for keypads. Then, in the "responders" column, double click the one you want to delete.

Dave, this editor screen needs to be made larger or resizable so that we don't have to keep sliding the "responder" column left & right to edit the level, ramprate & button.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
Under PowerHome Explorer select Insteon/Groups/By Controller.

Right click and select Create/Edit/Clone from the drop down menu.

Select the device that has the bad link from "Group Master" List.

Select the "Group Number" (1 for a switch or the button number for a keypadlinc)

You will see a list of the links in the device listed in the left window. Double click on any you want to get rid of.

Click on "Save Group" and then on "EXIT".

Allow time for the edits to be transmitted to the device then press F5 and confirm they have been deleted.

There are other ways to do it in PowerHome but this is the method I prefer.
 
Top