Insteon Dimmer with HAI OmniPro II?

bnederhoff

I am building a new home and will be putting in a Leviton/HAI OmniPro II controller for home automation. My previous home also used the OmniPro II with HLC UPB dimmers. This combination worked very well - I never had any issues or needed to replace or tweak the equipment once installed. I plan to use the OmniPro II again for much more than just lighting - to control thermostats, garage doors, pool, sprinklers, whole house audio integration, etc. - so I'm not willing to move away from the OmniPro II.

I'm considering using the Insteon SwitchLinc dimmers (2477D) this time, mainly because the dimmer's rockers have a better, tighter feel to the touch and they just look nicer. I understand I'll have to communicate with them using X10 only (not using the Insteon or UPB protocols) which has known limitations.

Question(s): Has anyone used the OmniPro II with Insteon dimmers successfully? Do they work well together? Any pitfalls I should know about? I've seen horror stories concerning X10 and quality issues with Insteon switches needing to be replaced frequently. I plan to install over 70 switches so this is a big and expensive decision.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice!

Here initially went from X-10 to Insteon using the OPII panel.  Never had any communications issues.

Concurrently utilized Homeseer to talk Insteon via a serial PLM.  I still have an Insteon PLM connected to Homeseer today.

That said I also went to using Jeff Volp's XTB when it was introduced and today using his dual phased TW-523 plus booster device and it works well.

XTB

XTB-IIR

Here went the opposite way removing almost all of my Insteon switches to UPB a couple of years back and migrating UPB.

Over the years went from using X-10 for my holiday lighting, then tried Insteon/X10, Z-Wave, UPB and have returned in the last few years to X-10.

Curious about

Back