Insteon Fan Switch?

ericvic

Does anyone have any idea if Smarthome is going to come out with an Insteon fan switch like the compose X-10 fan switch? I really like my compose fan switches but I'm thinking about going with insteon in the future and I'm not sure how the compose and insteon will look next to each other.

It looks like Smarthome is doing the right thing by offering a good many insteon products quickly.

Eric

I haven't heard of them doing one.

Actually, I would like a little Insteon module that I could hide in the ceiling fan mounting area with two outputs, one for fan control and one for light control. That would be a great retrofit item. Then it could be controlled via many methods.

WayneW said:
Actually, I would like a little Insteon module that I could hide in the ceiling fan mounting area with two outputs, one for fan control and one for light control.
just buy a lamplic v2 and appliancelinc v2, take them apart and wire them in your fan ;)

I don't think they will fit without redoing the ceiling box or something, but I will try it eventually if I don't get a better idea.

Insteon does have a relay now that they say is very quiet click. So that could be used for a fan and the motor shouldn't make any noise. Of course it's only then two speeds - off and On.
I think I ordered one so will post on it's sound. Should be here tomorrow.

I don't want to use a relay though. I really like being able to control the speed ofthe fan without having to use the pull-chain.

Martin, do you have any insteon installed? I was wondering if you can tell me how they look next to the compose. I know that the LED is on the bottom instead of the top and the lights on the side are different but what about the color of the switch itself?

Thanks,
Eric

Has anyone tried using a dimmer switch to control a fan? Smarthome states:

"SwitchLinc Dimmer can control low voltage halogen (e.g. track) or other low voltage lights. (Note: works with most magnetic and dimmable electronic transformers.) Also, SwitchLinc Dimmer can control your ceiling fan. (Note: some motors may produce a subtle humming sound.)"

I'm curious to see how much the motor hums. I plan on using a 6 button keypad when they ship, using the 2 large buttons to turn the fan on and off, the 4 small buttons will be programmed with 4 dim levels for fan speeds.

pavlov70 said:
I'm curious to see how much the motor hums.
I have never dimmed one myself, but what what I have heard over the years, it is a total "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. There don't seem to be any brands of fans that are definitely better or worse than any other. And it seems to vary from model to model also. If anybody has some fans that dim well, please post details of the controlling device and the fan and your astrological sign. ;)

There is no standard dimmer that is going to be good for fans. Not only does the dimming cause humming in many cases, but fans need full startup current. It is very bad for fans to start up without this "kick-start"; you can reduce the life of the motor. Therefore, you should use a switch designed for ceiling fans.

The only automated switch I know of specifically for ceiling fans is the Lightolier Compose 3-speed fan control (X-10 compatible). Perhaps you can integrate this into an Insteon network.

Update: I found the model number: CCWHISPLC

I've been using a Switchlinc V2 to control a fan for a few months now. Controling a Hampton Bay commercial ceiling fan (3 blade model, from Home Depot). It's been working fine and no hum on this particular fan.

Nick

ericvic said:
Does anyone have any idea if Smarthome is going to come out with an Insteon fan switch like the compose X-10 fan switch? I really like my compose fan switches but I'm thinking about going with insteon in the future and I'm not sure how the compose and insteon will look next to each other.

It looks like Smarthome is doing the right thing by offering a good many insteon products quickly.

Eric
I'm confused. Is there a problem with using X10 and Insteon together?

Rupp said:
I'm confused. Is there a problem with using X10 and Insteon together?
Yes, Insteon switches put a load on the powerline much the same way as X-10 transmitters. Yet, they do not repeat or amplify X-10 signals like Smarthome's X-10 switches do. Therefore, with every Insteon switch added to your network, your X-10 devices will become less reliable.

Back