INSTEON -> HouseLinc Desktop (Beta) Now Available

The screen shots look good. I'm glad they didn't use that annoying 'media center' looking interface as on the free timer software.

Too bad the timers aren't downloadable. Running a computer 24/7 just to be able to turn on a coffee pot is a little bit of over kill.

Ken

edit corrected spelling

KenM said:
Too bad the timers aren't downloadable. Running a computer 24/7 just to be able to turn on a coffe pot is a little bit of over kill.

Ken
I doubt a person controlling a coffee pot will buy the hardware and software just to do a task that is built into most coffee makers today. They are looking for a user desiring a bit more automation than just controlling a few devices here and there. In my experience, people that are going to go through the hassle to configure scenes are not going to mind leaving a PC running. Scenes are generally used in mid to upscale installs in medium to large homes.

Couldn't help but notice that in one of the screenshots, the device properties for a Switchlinc v2 said "firmware version: 40"...

I think all of mine are less than 30......now that the switch prices are changing, I guess it is a good time to start swapping out the outdated firmware, huh?

I also see that they are capturing and acting on doublepresses of on and off paddles...does anyone know how easy/hard is this to do within HomeSeer?

eufreka said:
I also see that they are capturing and acting on doublepresses of on and off paddles...does anyone know how easy/hard is this to do within HomeSeer?
I noticed that too, sounds interesting... although I'm not 100% clear on what it truely means. A double click turns the light on all the way. (Err... a triple click most of the time due to the insteon 1st quick click issue).

I saw there was a 10 second timer in that same caption, so do you have to click it twice in 10 seconds?

$70???!??!! Without even a demo version to test it first?? No thanks. I agree that they should make linking software available for free.

Someone from Smarthome, what are they (you) thinking?

I've been waiting on deciding on power-home until this came out -- at the same price I decided power-homes programmability and other device support makes the decision a no-brainer.

Did anyone else notice the example of using a SwitchLinc V2 double tap to do a scene and single tap doing a controlled light -- did they copy text from an X10 product or is this some undocumented SWL V2 thing???

I just happened to get a Smarthome catalog in the mail today. the price of an ICON Switch is $19.95 and not $24.95. I wonder if they will honor the price since it is a "Summer 2006" catalog?

Digger said:
I just happened to get a Smarthome catalog in the mail today. the price of an ICON Switch is $19.95 and not $24.95. I wonder if they will honor the price since it is a "Summer 2006" catalog?
They might, have to ask them. Or just order them from Martin for $19.

I always forget about Martin. I have never ordered from him (next time I will). I am out of work for the past week and a half now but I have a few possibilities out there. Once I get back to work I may order about 6 to 10 more.

The "double-tap" of a SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc sends an Insteon "faston" command as opposed to a standard "on" command with a single click.

Most software that hooks to the PLC should be able to catch this without a problem so this is nothing new or special.

Dave.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding the first release of HouseLinc Desktop software. We take your feedback into account at all times because you are the early adopters and have provided ample support and feedback throughout. I will do my best to get several of your questions answered.

Thanks for the support.

Ordered one this morning and would like to share thoughts with others that may also have it. That is when it ships. Guess if I miss the Beta allotment. A released [expected week of 06/05/06] version will be mine later.

Back