Insteon via Elk not working

Madcodger

So, in my seemingly endles effort to get a stable Insteon system (I know, I know, but I've got a LOT invested...) I'm trying to move the system to my Elk. Everything looks fine in terms of the setup, BUT THE DEVICES DON'T RESPOND AT ALL.

My M1XSP has the latest Insteon-specific firmware installed, and the M1XSP is blinking properly. I used PowerHome to create a link from the PLC to each device, and from each device to the PLC (shows up as Group 1 for slave, Group 254 as master) and to load the devices into the M1XSP. I can retrieve them back out to PowerHome as well, so we seem to be communicating between the M1XSP and PowerHome just fine.

I also used PowerHome to load the core application (timercoreapp) to the PLC, then cleared the database and added the PowerHome Insteon IDs to the PLC (again, using PowerHome) before plugging it into the M1XSP. ElkRP was used to set each device to "serial expander" as the custom type and to load in the device names and make them show up on the Elk's web page. I can see each device on the web page and via a keypad, and when I plug the PLC into the PowerHome machine (as a test) it works just fine.

So... WHY ON EARTH AREN'T MY BLASTED LIGHTS RESPONDING? Not one, not at all, not ever.

Ideas welcome, and thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Noticed after posting that when I try to turn on / off a device via the Elk webpage, the corresponding X10 code and instruction is being sent (or at least HomeSeer is seeing it that way - I have X10 turned on for a thermostat, but the HS Insteon plugin is disabled). Is it possible that I've missed some simple instruction related to telling the Elk to turn OFF X10, and turn ON Insteon??

Are you sure the "sort" numbers you gave the device in PH match the device numbers in ElkRP? i.e. 17 = B1?

Are you sure the "sort" numbers you gave the device in PH match the device numbers in ElkRP? i.e. 17 = B1?

Wayne,

Yes, the numbers in PH match those in ElkRP exactly (1 = A1, 17 = B1, 34=C2, etc.). I don't have anyything listed in PowerHome's "SORT" column on either the Devices or Elk M1XSP tab, but I don't think that matters, does it?

Thanks.

How can they match if the sort column is blank? :lol: Use of the SORT column is essential as that is what tells Elk what Insteon device goes to B1. The B1 device in Elk must match to something with a 17 in the SORT column. Your Insteon devices do not need to be consecutive SORT numbers or X-10 addresses.

How can they match if the sort column is blank? :) Use of the SORT column is essential as that is what tells Elk what Insteon device goes to B1. The B1 device in Elk must match to something with a 17 in the SORT column. Your Insteon devices do not need to be consecutive SORT numbers or X-10 addresses.

Wayne,

The most recent version of PowerHome has an Elk M1XSP tab that allows one to enter the Elk ID number (i.e., 1 for Elk lighting device 1(A1 in the old X10 world), 18 FOR Elk lighting device 18 (B2 if one were using X10), etc.) and that is where I have my "sorting" entered. When I retrive the Insteon device IDs back from the M1XSP to confirm, they come back in all the right spots. However, there is nothing in the Sort column when I look in PowerHome under the Devices tab. It's just blank in every cell. Powerhome controls the devices just fine when a PLC is plugged into that machine, but my goal is to move all control over to the Elk if possible.

All,

As noted above in an update, I AM seeing the X10 command for the corresponding Elk lighting device transmitted when I use the M1's webpage to control lighting, as if I were still using old X10 technology. Does the Elk attempt to transmit BOTH the X10 command AND the Insteon command? Is there a setting that I've forgotten that tells the Elk to send Insteon as loaded in the M1XSP (with correct and latest Insteon-only firmware)? The PLC seems to work OK on the computer when connected to PowerHome, but could it just be "bad" when connected to the Elk?

This really has me stumped, folks, so any help is appreciated. For now, I've had to go back to HomeSeer and the PLM, which is prone to lockups...

Thanks,

Joe

Does the Elk attempt to transmit BOTH the X10 command AND the Insteon command? Is there a setting that I've forgotten that tells the Elk to send Insteon as loaded in the M1XSP (with correct and latest Insteon-only firmware)? Thanks,

Joe

That would be interesting... I wonder if I could take the unused TW523 port on the M1 and connect it to the TW523 port on my Stargate in some "null modem" type configuration? That way every time the M1 sent an Insteon command, it would also send an X10 command to update the lighting table in Stargate (without putting any X10 on the power line to cause noise and collisions).

Doese anybody know if two TW523 ports can be cross connected to exchange data directly, similiar to using a null modem between the serial ports of two computers?

The most recent version of PowerHome has an Elk M1XSP tab that allows one to enter the Elk ID number (i.e., 1 for Elk lighting device 1(A1 in the old X10 world), 18 FOR Elk lighting device 18 (B2 if one were using X10), etc.) and that is where I have my "sorting" entered.
Ahh, Dave must have moved that functionality when I wasn't paying attention. I haven't played with PH in a while but I need to tweak some things soon.

Are you using one 2414S and moving it between PH and M1? Or are you using two PLCs?

As noted above in an update, I AM seeing the X10 command for the corresponding Elk lighting device transmitted when I use the M1's webpage to control lighting, as if I were still using old X10 technology. Does the Elk attempt to transmit BOTH the X10 command AND the Insteon command? Is there a setting that I've forgotten that tells the Elk to send Insteon as loaded in the M1XSP (with correct and latest Insteon-only firmware)? The PLC seems to work OK on the computer when connected to PowerHome, but could it just be "bad" when connected to the Elk?
I don't see extra X-10 commands in HomeSeer when I control Insteon devices with ElkRM. That sounds like you don't have your lights configured right, but you say that they are set to "serial expander" so I am stumped.

Are you using one 2414S and moving it between PH and M1? Or are you using two PLCs?

Using one 2414S and moving it back and forth. Also have a USB PLC (2414U) and can create links with it in actual devices while leaving serial version connected to Elk. BUT, for these purposes, I'm moving the serial PLC back and forth to make sure I have the device IDs correct in it.

I don't see extra X-10 commands in HomeSeer when I control Insteon devices with ElkRM. That sounds like you don't have your lights configured right, but you say that they are set to "serial expander" so I am stumped.

Yes, I agree - it doesn't seem right. It's good to know you DON'T see the X10 commands when using ElkRM, though. That tells me that the Elk / M1XSP / PLC thinks it's supposed to be sending X10 rather than Insteon. I just can't figure out WHY...

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Back