InTouch Controls

stacyh3

Does anyone have a high resolution photogrpah of the Intermatic Intouch Controls switches? It's hard to see the detail of the switches on the pictures that I've found on the web. For example, I can't tell how in/out the circular impressions on the switches go. My wife is concerned that the switches will look too "bubbly."

Are there z-wave other switches available that do "instant status" notification? Is that the correct term?

Thanks,
Stacy

There was a post over in Homeseer land that the Homepro, Leviton, and Monster switches do. I don't do z-wave so I can't verify. Martin should know.

Stacyh3

Intouch, Monster, Leviton and Cooper will have instant status. Some homepro modules will give you this w/Associations and HS.

- Mike

As I understand it, the Intermatic InTouch, Leviton VIZIA RF, and Cooper Aspire RF switches all offer advanced 2-way feedback. Consequently, the Monster switches do as well.

When I checked last, the ACT switches did provide a potential status reporting mechanism, but only for devices in direct range--and even then it may not have been a reporting mechanism. I have seen some creative "workarounds" using 3-way messages to assume status updates, which is probably what you're seeing there.

Chris

I haven't seen the Vizia-RF controls available anywhere. Has anyone else seen them? What are the prices like? I see that Automated Outlet has InTouch listed, but are they actually shipping?

Stacy

Stacy

The Leviton line is not fully out yet. You can get ahold of their plugin modules (dimmers/applicance modules) but the switches will not be out until Jan, if we are lucky.

The Intermatic Intouch line has been postponed until the end of March '07. Or that is the last update that Martin posted.

- Mike

All the current ACT products offer instant status, and actually, they offer the fastest instant status. Levition has status reporting, but its not as fast as ACT. With ACT an association is set up between the switch and the device (or HomeSeer). When you control the switch, a command is sent instantly. The command is routed, so its not limited in range. This feature is available in all their 103, 153, and 120 switches, as well as the lamp and appliance modules. If a lamp module is controlled with another controller (say a handheld remote), it will send a command to an associated device (or HomeSeer).

Some other features to consider are programmable ramp rates for dimming. ACT, Leviton, and Monster support this (ACT supports an almost infinite range, while the Leviton/Monster support 8 rates). Intermatic does not support this in either of their lines, a big omission in my opinion) I am not sure about Cooper.

The ACT switches require wire nuts as they use flying leads (can be tough to fit in some boxes). Leviton/Monster use screw terminals, very nice.

Levtion/Monster support 3-way or more operation with all devices. This is good and bad. It means you have to buy a $100 switch for all locations. ACT requires a different switch for use in 3-way and 4-way installations, but the slave switch is a special switch and is low cost. Only 2 slaves are supported however. More slaves may be added using other swtiches as transmitters and associating them with the load controlling switch.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC

Thanks! This is great information. I need to buy switches for my new house so that's why I'm asking all the questions. I'll look in more detail at the ACT switches.

Are there multi-button scene controllers currently shipping? My builder wants to have the switches in hand within the next few weeks! I tried calling Leviton, but I haven't gotten a response back from the sales rep for my area.

Thanks,
Stacy

FYI, the leviton products are now available in our store.

The Leviton scene controllers should be available by the end of Jan.

Be careful with the scene controllers. They use a new z-wave scene class that is not in the ACT devices. So if you want to set up scenes using the scene controllers and have them control devices directly, then you need to install all Leviton devices. I do not know at this time if the Cooper or the professional Intermatic line support the scene class. I assume they will and will know shortly after we test some samples.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
www.homeseer.com

Rich:

What is the difference between their 4-button Scene controllers and the 4-button Zone controllers?

- Mike

It's exciting to see the VIZIA RF devices out. They're the first light switches to feature and support "real-time updates" across the network in a Z-Wave standard way.

We recently posted an update to the Z-Wave PC SDK to our forums which lets you set up the scenes in the VIZIA RF light switches--as well as activate them from your PC. We'll be posting another update soon which will let you set up the in-wall scene controllers and also have your computer respond to scene button presses in a fully Z-Wave Compliant way.

Other manufacturers will be supporting the Z-Wave SCENE profile in their products, both in lighting and other categories. We have already been testing many of these products in our lab, and look forward to seeing them ship too.

Mike--the zone controllers have "on and off" for each button via a rocker, while the scene controllers have just an "activate" button.

Chris

Back