IP PTZ camera and fixed camera/DVR experiment

MRL

The only way I am going to settle the issue of an IP PTZ camera vs. a fixed camera with DVR card is to get both and experiment. So here I go.

The IP PTZ camera will be the Panasonic BB-HCM331A. The delivered cost from newegg.com is $565. This Panasonic seems to be the best value for the buck. I plan to place the order tomorrow (Monday morning) so if anyone has a better alternative for an outdoor weatherproof network IP PTZ camera please let me know.

As far as a fixed camera and DVR card, after extensive research I plan to go with the GeoVision GC-800-4 DVR card (4 BNC connectors) and a Sony infrared camera (SPE-218), both from CCTVSpeciality.com (Florida). The DVR card will support 4 cameras each at 30fps. I called CCTVSpeciality and immediately got to talk to a real person without being on hold. When I had a question about the GeoVision software, they gave me the name of a GeoVision tech in CA to call. I called the tech and got to speak to him with no problem. I could not believe how much time he spent on the phone with me. He explained the issues between their DVR cards and AMD based motherboards. It is not that the cards do not work, GeoVision can not guarantee that they will work because of all the “tweaking†that is usually done on AMD motherboards. They do guarantee that their cards will work as advertised in Intel motherboards. This is really not a problem for me. My thoughts now are to use my Intel P4 2.8GHz 800MHz bus 1GB DDR-400 PC (Intel D865GLC mATX motherboard) as a camera and file server. This is as pure an Intel setup as you can get. I should find out very quickly how well or not the DVR card works. The DVR card comes with the latest GeoVision 8 software that on the surface looks very impressive. GeoVision seems to be a high-end player. I was certainly impressed as to how easy it was to talk at length with a GeoVision tech. The GC-800-4 BNC card from CCTVSpeciality is $379 less a 5% intro discount and free ship.

As far as a fixed camera, the CCTVSpeciality SPE-218 infrared camera looks to be a winner. Camera is outdoor weatherproof. has 1/3†Sony CCD, 480TVL, 23 LEDs (LEDs surround lens and should not reflect onto the lens since there is no dome covering) , 3.6mm lens 93 degree field of view, 45-60 feet nighttime viewing, 512x492, operates down to -20C (-4F) for $140 less a 5% intro discount and free ship. I compared this camera to the Vitek VTC-LED667HRCB ($156 at Automated Outlet). The Sony has more LEDs and a wider field of view. If all goes well, I would eventually get 3 more of the Sony cameras.
I plan to place the order tomorrow (Monday morning) so if anyone has a better alternative please let me know.

My original goal is to have 4 outside weatherproof wide-angle low-light fixed cameras operating at 30fps each. If all goes well, I might use the Panasonic inside to see what trouble my miniature schnauzer (Molly) is getting into when no one is home. I definitely see where an inside PTZ camera would really be nice to keep track of the dog (actually we have not told her that she is a dog).

This experiment will run about $1058 not counting cables. I have had excellent results selling hardware on eBay so I guess you all might see one or more of the items there.

So I am about to enter into a union with the above hardware, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer (mostly poorer) until death or hardware failures do us part. If there is anyone out there who for any reason feels that this union should not take place, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.

No Prenuptials???? Maybe an annulment if things dont work out?

Good luck with the experiment. Personally I think both concepts have their advantages and disadvantages but I will go with Wireless IP eventually since I can no longer pull anymore wire easily and I am about out of spare runs.

Yes, this would make for an interesting review after you go through the setup and operation of each system.

Just remember that if all else fails THIS forum is also available! :)

Cool! I was going to order an IP camera on Monday too but now I'll wait to see haow it works out for you before I commit.

I will go with Wireless IP eventually since I can no longer pull anymore wire easily
I never really considered wireless. I have a wireless phone system and a 802.11b/g network and I have heard that there are issues with wireless cameras. I figure if I have to run a power cable, I might as well run the video cable.

I was going to order an IP camera on Monday too but now I'll wait to see haow it works out for you before I commit.
That is not fair! I do not want to go at this alone. Were you not going to get the Panasonic BB-HCM331A if I remember correctly. Go get it!
Anyone out there using the Panasonic BB-HCM331A?

Actually it doesn't matter if I buy it now or later because it will be mid-August before I can install it. I am currently ripping cabinets out of my kitchen as the first stage of remodeling it. This will probably eat up a full month.

I'm hoping by that time you will have yours online and share the link so I can see it in action before I do mine.

I'm hoping by that time you will have yours online and share the link so I can see it in action before I do mine.
OK. Unless something happens overnight (like I have a nightmare about the camera), I plan to order the Panasonic camera from newegg.com tomorrow.

I just ordered (Monday 7/10) the Panasonic BB-HCM331A camera from newegg.com at a price of $559.99 + $4.99 3-day ship = $564.98 total. SmartHome has it for special $719.99 (normally $799.99)+ ship?
I am amazed at the price differential. I have purchased products from SmartHome and they send me a glossy catalog ever so often and they are excellent to deal with. The difference here is $160! I realize that I will get no help from newegg.com and that if I purchased it from SmartHome I would probably get help if needed. Still I cannot justify the difference of $160. I have ordered major PC hardware from newegg.com with no problems what so ever (my Acer laptop came from them).
I also purchased both a 33' ($12.50) and 100' ($23.75) DC power extension cable from Brick Home Security. I have Cat6e cable to run to the camera. I need to see how to enclose the cables that will be on the outside of the house. I will set up the camera initially inside so I can see what my miniature schnauzer is up to. I do not need the DC power extension cable to set up the camera inside so as soon as the camera arrives I hope to have it up and running.
Still debating the GeoVision DVR card. I might get the infrared outdoor camera ($140) and go with a cheap card for now just to experiment.

Just ordered the following outdoor low-light Sony 1/3" CCD 23 LED 3.6mm wide angle lens infrared fixed (no pan/tilt/zoom) camera.
Infrared camera
$139.99 - $7 discount + free ship = $132.99
I decided not to go with the GeoVision DVR card GV-800-4 ($379) for now. I will get a Swann or some other "el cheapo" DVR card to start just to play around with the camera.
With the Panasonic BB-HCM331A IP camera on its way, I will have both an IP camera and a DVR card camera to play around with. It doesn't get any better than this. Well, maybe it does, but this will be fun! Now to look for a DVR card and a cable.

Decided against a cheap DVR card. Went with GeoVision GC-650-4 60 fps total at $280. So I can have 2 cameras running at 30 fps or 4 running at 15 fps. The GV-800-4 at 120 fps total is $380. After extensive investigation, I decided the GeoVision software is the way to go. I hope to have all equipment by the weekend. The infrared camera has 2 BNC connectors - video and power - and comes with a power supply with a BNC connector. I ordered 2 RG6 cables with BNC connectors. One will connect the camera to the DVR card, the other will connect the power supply to the camera. Now to sit and wait. Darn, why is this stuff not here already?

Back